Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Number one:

When Garmin Express updates the SmartDrive to the newest map it deletes the old one.

You are saying after 2 hours of updates it replaces the old map back.
    Sorry but that can not be.

If the SmartDrive 50 has WIFI.

The only thing you can do to try is forget your PC and just turn on the WIFI on the SmartDrive 50 and do the update that way.
    You will need power to your unit so take a phone changer and the Garmin cable connect them and attach it to your SmartDrive 50

Go to Settings lower right hand.
    Pick Wireless Network
    Turn on WiFI
    If it does not find your WIFI you can type in the name of your WIFI and Password manually.
    Once you have done then come out of that window and then tap on Updates.
    It will list the updates that are needed.

Save the map update to last.

This way there is no way it can restore you old map back on your SmartDrive 50 as you say that is what is happening.

If you still have problems then contact Garmin.
    Last edited by asprin624; 31st March 2020 at 12:44 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Member +

There is no possibility to put the drivesmart into WIFI mode.

@fchody,

You said this:
    Now i even lost the original map

But you show a gmapprom.img file
    Where did this map come from???
    Spoiler: Your missing gmapprom.img
    up8qhSo

Then you say:
    It went from up to 4 GB into approximatly 2.6GB
    Where did you get this info from????

And you are missing in .system folder
    gmapprom.gma
    gmapprom.unl <----------in order for a map to work you need this file.......
    GUPDATE.GCD
    GtmData.xml
    Spoiler: Missing files on your Garmin

knYjFop

You are not telling us everything.

Show me on your PC this folder screen shot
    This is where everything is downloaded before it is installed on your Garmin SmartDrive 50.
    Spoiler: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.EU.2020.30

NOVvYGP

It is time for some answers from you.
    Last edited by asprin624; 1st April 2020 at 01:48 PM.

Member +

Hello dear. Thanks for trying to help me out of this issue. Also i appologyse if there are maybe misunderstandings but please notice my natif language is Dutch and i do my very best to make me understand and to understand what you write. Before continuing i made some changes in the file settings in win 10. That is the opreating system of my computer. Now i can see all of the maps and files in my DriveSmart 50's tree. Here is a screenshot of what i see in the deployed .system map before updating the device.
    Spoiler: image
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The gmapprom.img is about 4gb large as you can see. After the update GE shows what you can see in the next screenshot.
    Spoiler: image again
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now when i am going to explore the .system map before disconnecting the device from the pc i can see the gmapprom has changed his size into approximatly 2.6gb. Now, when i than disconnect the device from the PC and start -up the device, i sill cannot see the map on my DriveSmart. It only shows the basemap. When i reconnect the device to the PC, GE shows as before the sam 13 updates, including the maps. Whae i at this moment explore the tree after update , the gmapprom has back hir original size of +/- 4gb. Nothing that far has changed. Also the software version of the device still is 4.1 in stead of 5.9. Ther is still an addidional issue. Always i started up the devise, the time has chnged and also the saved region. The time can not be put into Automate even when the devise has a fix.
    The device worked properly before attempting to update. The issues started after i connectet the device to GE. Can maybe win10 be responsable for these issues? I hope i provided all the information you ask for.
    Thanks for your patient with me,
    Kind regards,
    Francis.

I will no longer correct your posts

Important User Problem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpress
    Problem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpressProblem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpress

@fchody
    Some info required from you and some points for clarification/addressing:

• In the top image posted by you above there is a folder "Map" shown. What files if any does it contain or is it empty?
    • Regarding Pic 4 in Post #14, in the Garmin folder i note that the file GarminDevice.xml has date 1/5/19 indicating that the device has not been successfully re-booted since that date (you may recall in Post #13 i advised that the XML should be rewritten on every boot cycle so the date should be current). Please supply a link to an uploaded copy of that file to me by Private Message (click on my username and click Private Message to compose, use a free host site like [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]). Don't post it publicly as it contains sensitive info about your device.
    • It seems there is no file named GUPDATE.GCD in .System folder, that file is required for firmware update and usually remains in place after use by automotive devices. That in itself is curious, this device has problems seemingly unrelated to your use of GarminExpress and also i don't believe anything is due to Windows 10 as you've asked. I also note that the dates for the files gmapprom.img and 0848206382.gma do not match (the GMA file authorizes the map for use on the device. Their dates should match, if that GMA is in fact the applicable one for your primary detail map).
    • Please open the gmapprom.img in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], click the "Info" tab and copy the information from there. Please post the contents using SPOILER tags. Please also use SPOILER tags for any more large images and extensive text information in your posts to avoid unwanted mod. attention - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

If unsure, please ask. Consider writing your intended posts in Dutch then using Google or Bing translate to EN before posting in English. The translators work quite well provide you don't use slang terms or regional variations in the original language. That way you can supply full details and potentially avoid misunderstandings or confusion.

Member +

Hallo,
    I will answer your question as good as possible. First the folder "Map" you're talking about contains the file "D4935070A.img" last modified on 01-12-2015. Next i posted a Zippyshare link for you to download the GarmiDevice.xml. Next step, i searched for the file named GUPDATE.GCD. There is no such file present in my DriveSmart 50's tree. At last by means of GmapTool i retrieved the info of the gmapprom.img present on my device.
    Spoiler: pic1
    oTwMg5H

and
    Spoiler: pic2
    AGgwBFM

I hope i provided the all the info ypu need at the moment? An other issue a have seen is when i add manualy by means of the computer any file or folder to for example the .system folder, these last adde maps or folder are removed during the next startup and do not figure anymore on the DriveSmart 50' tree.
    Again thanks a lot for helping me,
    Francis.
    Last edited by fchody; 1st April 2020 at 03:16 PM.

The info you gave is:

D4935070A.img = City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.30 FID 4037

Again no unl file to use this gmapprom.img or D4935070A.img maps

No maps have ever been updated on your SmartDrive 50 since City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.30 FID 4037

I asked you to check your PC to see if Garmin Express really downloader the latest maps.:

Show me on your PC this folder screen shot

This is where everything is downloaded before it is installed on your Garmin SmartDrive 50.

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.EU.2020.30

Spoiler: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.EU.2020.30

NOVvYGP

If it is not there then Garmin Express never downloaded City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.30

What version of Garmin Express are you using???

The latest is v6.21.0.0

Make sure you have the latest version

Then remove your SmartDrive 50 from it and install new.

Do you have more than on Garmin GPS Unit???

But if none of any of this is working then contact Garmin.

Because Garmin Express is not capable of removing City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.30 installing City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.30 and then deleting it and putting back City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.30...

This can never happen.........
    Last edited by asprin624; 1st April 2020 at 02:05 PM.

Member +

Yes the file has been downloaded
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

In the mean time i found on Garmin Site the file GUPDATE.GCD. Can i simply copy this file and past it in the .system folder?
    Francis

I went over all your screen shots and on your PC you show this:

Spoiler: Screen shot from your PC
    md2suVW

That means you download the complete Europe NTU 2020.30 from some forum.
    Did you install this on your PC????
    And you have 2 garmin folders also a long with a unlock utility folder.

We want to help you but you need to give us a complete picture of what you have been really doing here.

I repeat the SmartDrive 50 has never been updated not one folder or file be it in the main directory or the .system directory.

Nothing has been updated at all...........

And the Garmin Express downloads to this location:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.EU.2020.30

Not C:\ProgramData\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.EU.2020.30 as you show in your screen shot the Garmin folder is missing.
    Last edited by asprin624; 1st April 2020 at 03:41 PM.

Member +

Sorry for the confusion. What you see in the spoiler screenshot of my pc has nothing to do with the update issue of my DriveSmart. Indeed i downloaded once the CNE 2020.30 NTU from a forum to install and unlock it on mapsource. Nothing more. I never used it in one way or an other to attempt to update my DriveSmart as it has a lifetime update.
    Now as you asked you can see in the link
    0GW2UjG

GE has downloaded the map in the correct map.