Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Member +

Hallo all of you,
    Sorry i din't react these passed days but i had some other activitys to do and also i tried several other thinks concerning the DS. Here are my conclusions. I googled a lot also and i found some related issues conserning problems encountered on some flash drives etc... . First of all i took a backup of the device by means of GE. Next i booted my computer winth AIOMEI partition master. There i could see the device. I tried to format the device. After i got the error code 6 what means: "The partition label could not be formatted because it is locked by an other programme. Close that other programme and retry". Also i tried to wipe the partition ,with no succes. All of the data still remailns on the device. Than i found Acronis true would be a stronger programme to deal with such issues. I have the bootable disk and did the same. There is no possibility to format nor delete or wipe the partion. This means and of life of the device and also end of story.
    I would thank everybody who spend time to think about my problem and trying to help.
    Again thanks a lot and try to stay healthy in these deays.
    Francis.
    Last edited by fchody; 11th April 2020 at 07:38 AM.

2.    Advertissements

Hi,everyone,
    I was just about to start a new post with the same problems, when I found this one. I have exactly the same issue with 3 units-2 Garmin 2599 and one Drivesmart 50. I have tried almost everything suggested here even before reading it. Unfortunately with no success. So far these units are only good for spare parts - screen and battery. I can only express my gratitude to all who suggested different solutions here and especially to Butters and Boki who have helped me in person many times.

Important User Problem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpress
    Problem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpressProblem Updating DriveSmart50 using GarminExpress

@sraa
    We're seeing far more flash failures in newer Garmin devices than in +10 year old ones. Maybe G has lowered standards on crucial components and is treating newer devices as 'throw-away'. Certainly they don't make any of the parts afaik, they're a 'fabless' company, i.e. they fabricate nothing themselves.

One thing I have read over the years in this forum is users spend to much time playing with the Garmin Units.
    They are not happy with the maps they have on them.
    So they replace the maps on the units by deleting to many files and then brick the unit.
    They buy used units that are setup in US and want to put Europe maps on them.
    Not knowing what was wrong with the unit before they bought it.
    The best is they formatted the internal memory because they did not remove the SD card.......
    That I have read so many times here and in other forums.
    I then question why they would even format the unit in the first place.
    Were they stolen and the user tries to remove any info from the unit.

One thing I have always done is download my map updates that came with the unit.
    Have not tried to put patched maps on any of the units.

If I need to go to the US and I have an EU unit I buy the USA maps I need.
    Screwing up a unit just because you did not want to pay for a map you will need when going to a country you do not have a map for.

I have never ran into any problems with any of the Garmin units I own be it old ones from as far back as 2007 which still work.
    To the new series of Garmin units I have in the last 3 or 4 years.

Maybe there are more break downs with newer models then in the past but I question what the user has been doing to the unit to cause problems in the first place.
    Plus they still have a warranty on them then contact Garmin to get it fixed or replaced.

Reason most users do not know what they are doing in the first place.
    You see it all over this forum no matter what GPS they have or Android app they are using.

@Butters
    Your observations and conclusion are applicable to everything produced nowadays.It is designed to last only through the warranty.