Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching

Received new FW 6.10 for GPSMAP64s few days ago. Tried to patch it with JNX Loader Patcher v3.80 withous success. Can't authenticate maps.
    Is there any other solution to patch new FW?

2.    Advertissements

Administrator GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching

Read the Rules.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Particularly #9
    Can't see a link/attachment? Don't post asking why. Just 'Like' the post & hit F5:
    THE LIKE BUTTON IS NOW IN THE BOTTOM LEFT-hand CORNER - If you can't see the like button, then you're an Inactive Member
    Posts serving no purpose like thanks or to ask about links go to [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or are deleted, it's GPS Power policy.

Subscription to Birdseye Satellite Imagery is only 25.00 Euro for a full year.
    In that year you can download as much Birdseye images you want.
    Even after your subscription expired you can still use all the images you downloaded.

Spoiler: See link for your area to get a subscription:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Important User GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching
    GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patchingGPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching

@MountBiker
    Your GPSMAP 64s runs firmware which contains MSV protection (MSV is Map Signature Verification). Patching for JNX only allows the use of Birdseye data without a current subscription. If you are trying to use an unlocked/unofficial map *.img file and see a message on startup saying "Can't Authenticate Maps ..." then the firmware needs additional patching. You won't get help with that here because of the already stated forum position regarding unofficial maps and manipulation of firmware to allow use of illegal mapping. Search the wider internet for "Universal Firmware Patcher for Protected Garmin Devices" and look for the latest version possible, that's V2.20 afaik. If it doesn't work for the V6.10 firmware you may need to additionally downgrade to an earlier patched fw, maybe to V5.60.

Of course the proper thing to do is to buy genuine mapping data and a BirdsEye subscription from Garmin for your device. We don't encourage piracy here at all.

He has already been on anther forum after his post here.
    I am not for patching any Garmin products, You spend a lot on high end handhelds.
    We are talking 300 Euro plus.
    Even if you buy a secondhand unit paying 25.00 for a Subscription to Birdseye is a drop in the bucket when it comes to cost.
    Plus how may users have bricked there Garmin Units just to cut on a small cost if you really need Birdseye???
    I have it for free and have only used it one time on my GPSMAP 66 and turned it off.
    Will stick with free Topo maps no need for Birdseye.....
    Last edited by asprin624; 15th January 2021 at 01:49 PM.

@asprin624
    Yes, i saw his post and other replies in another forum after i made Post #4 above. He's been assisted.

While i agree on the moral, ethical and legal argument for not patching firmware, i have to correct the record in regard to the implication that a device might be "bricked" by loading firmware which has been patched by either or both of the JNX or Universal Patchers. To some degree it depends what you mean by the term "bricked" of course:
    • A device with a hardware failure such as a physically damaged flash is just a paper-weight and not economically recoverable, so it's permanently bricked in the absolute sense that it can't be recovered by software means and the cost of replacing and reprogramming the chip would exceed any 'out-of-warranty' device's working value (definitely won't happen from loading any incompatible modified or patched fw);
    • A device that is "soft-bricked" usually cannot boot because of a corrupt file which is essential for it's normal use but cannot be loaded during boot so the device sticks on the splash screen usually and without any error message. That's easily fixed by loading cure fw to re-enable MSM and then removing the problem file (or reformatting the flash memory if there's multiple or unknown problem files) and finally flashing original firmware back to it (also not a problem applicable to modified or patched fw);
    • However, loading a problem patched fw is no different to loading a problem original firmware (aka main system software). Because the only part of the firmware patched is the fw_all.bin component which is flashed to the device's region 14 (0x0E) the device with faulty fw may not boot and display a message "System Software Missing" (as said, that's what G calls their firmware). It will have defaulted to preboot mode in that state and is very easily recovered by simply using Updater.exe to flash a proper fw in the form of an RGN file.

From a practical point of view, flashing an incompatible fw_all.bin is only a minor inconvenience. Flashing an incompatible boot.bin (ramloader) is another thing entirely and can result in an irrecoverable device which is "hard-bricked". So barring any really stupid mistake followed by complete and utter disregard for safe flashing practice where a wrong boot.bin is flashed, patched fw flashing is quite as safe as original fw flashing.

It does not matter if it is a soft brick or a hard brick.
    The internet is full of users screwing up their Garmin units not knowing what they are doing.
    Then users like you spend post after post getting the user to understand what they are doing wrong.
    Then they still do not understand anything this goes back and forth when they should not of tried in the first place without understanding what they are about to do.
    I would not spend so much time trying to dig a user out of a hole he are she made for themselves because they did not know what they are doing in the first place.
    Just so they can use Garmin maps on their unit for free like Birdseye view maps.

This has nothing to do with moral, ethical and legal argument.
    It is just plain I do not know what I am doing so I am going to do it anyway.
    They never take the time to read anything.
    Only bits and pieces of instructions and think they can do it.

Then you go on to explain it over and over how to fix it.
    A total waste of time because they just do not get it.
    Some do say all is working again but you will never know because they find another forum and start it all over again.

None of this should be even posted here in the first place.
    The forum has made it very clear about Garmin products being posted here or how to patch the unit to use illegal maps.
    I would hate to see this forum being closed because users did not pay attention to the rules.
    Last edited by asprin624; 15th January 2021 at 02:11 PM.

Member + GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patchingGPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patchingGPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching

The vast majority of updates work fine, you have only seen a few reports of trouble and even many of those are able to be resolved.

And the people that provide the assistance do so because it gives them satisfaction so should not be criticized. Their advice is highly appreciated by the larger technical community out here.

I have many devices that have been regularly patched every update over many years and have had no problems whatsoever, same for others I know and interact with.

You are also completely missing the main point about Birdseye. The patching is generally not about the Birdseye product it's for the capability to display jnx format images from other sources that you can't buy anywhere for your device. For example converted raster maps (TIFF, JPG, PDF etc) including detailed 25K topo & nautical charts, historic maps, park maps, custom maps you make yourself, whatever. This capability is quite unique to Garmin and the reason it is popular.

Just because you are not aware of something or don't understand it doesn't make it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwalker8 View Post
    The vast majority of updates work fine, you have only seen a few reports of trouble and even many of those are able to be resolved.

And the people that provide the assistance do so because it gives them satisfaction so should not be criticized. Their advice is highly appreciated by the larger technical community out here.
    My exact attitude too. This is what these kind of forums are for, they're primarily for novice users to seek help, and for more experienced members to assist them.

I have many devices that have been regularly patched every update over many years and have had no problems whatsoever, same for others I know and interact with.
    Ditto in my experience also. Very few of the devices i help to 'unbrick' have been flashed with faulty firmware, whether patched or original. Please asprin624, look at the Cure3 thread and other individual help posts from users with devices that won't boot. Most of them have problems because of faulty files on-board and most have problems after using Garmin's own particular software-from-hell, GarminExpress. An absolute minority of devices display "System Software Missing" indicative of a firmware problem.

You are also completely missing the main point about Birdseye. The patching is generally not about the Birdseye product it's for the capability to display jnx format images from other sources that you can't buy anywhere for your device. For example converted raster maps (TIFF, JPG, PDF etc) including detailed 25K topo & nautical charts, historic maps, park maps, custom maps you make yourself, whatever. This capability is quite unique to Garmin and the reason it is popular.
    Precisely! That's the real difference between AlexWhiter's (may he Rest in Peace) JNX patcher and big-bang's Universal Patcher and why the former program is allowed here and the latter isn't. The exclusive purpose of the Universal Patcher is to disable the signature checks to enable the use of illegally unlocked Garmin-issued maps which is why it's not available here and members like Buswalker8 and me will not give direct assistance for it. That attitude won't hinder me in helping the occasional user who gets in strife because they misused the universal patcher however. I just won't help them patch in the first place. No rule break there.

Just because you are not aware of something or don't understand it doesn't make it wrong...
    I think if one accepts that the JNX patcher isn't primarily about defeating Garmin's protection and more about allowing users to use the full JNX potential of their devices then it's far less 'wrong' than you're suggesting asprin624.

Quote Originally Posted by asprin624 View Post
    It does not matter if it is a soft brick or a hard brick.
    Oh yes it does, it matters very much! Please read my previous reply again closely with an open mind. If you still don't understand the vast difference between a soft and hard bricking then please ask, detailing any confusion or doubts you might have. I would be happy to explain further and elaborate in detail, as would Bushwalker8 too i'm sure.

Navigation software expert GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching
    GPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patchingGPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patchingGPSMAP64s FW 6.10 patching

Quote Originally Posted by asprin624 View Post
    Even if you buy a secondhand unit paying 25.00 for a Subscription to Birdseye is a drop in the bucket when it comes to cost.
    Plus how may users have bricked there Garmin Units just to cut on a small cost if you really need Birdseye???
    I have it for free and have only used it one time on my GPSMAP 66 and turned it off.
    Will stick with free Topo maps no need for Birdseye.....
    Dear, guru! Life is the game. For some widespread territories there are not any actual and precision maps. The cost does not matter because no one has these maps - official sources, Garmin, Here, Google, Bing... Russia for example. Oops! Accidently I find actual maps on XXX (on one of above-mentioned source). I am a lucky man! I am sure that my ass will be safe. I paid Garmin in good faith for the device and the warranty (if I bricked it). It is my goodwill to modify it. I ready to buy ready to use solution, but Garmin does not need it obviously due to lack of commercialization in my case. So I play with open cards. I do not understand why you prevent me to do it?!

P.S. No doubt, AlexWhiter (RIP) has injured thin and vulnerable soul of Garmin. But he gave the Garmin a big piece of cake too. Particularly in Russia where is not an official representative. Who gives you a right to judge? I can assume what you want to do not have problems for the forum with Garmin. But you kill the forum as a sacred place. Which judgment is right?
    Maybe you will blame me for 140 km per hour on unpaved roads?
    Last edited by Giomen; 18th January 2021 at 01:14 AM.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?