Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Garmin Express 7.11.0.0 - transfer > SOLVED

    I have Garmin Expres 7.11.0.0 and a nuvi 1490.
    I transferred folder Garmin and GarminDevice.XML to my SD card, plugged int a reader on my PC.
    GE is recognizing the "device" and showing available updates (Europe map, Time Zone Map, TrafficProvider.xml, Proximity Text, ...).
    I can install Time Zone Map, TrafficProvider.xml, Proximity Text, ..., but when trying to update the maps, it asks for an SD card to be plugged in, though it is already and has enough space.
    As GE has no issues with Time Zone Map, TrafficProvider.xml, Proximity Text, ... I assume, the SD card is compatible.
    So it is very specific with the maps...
    Any idea, what I am doing wrong?
    Last edited by Boki_Srb; 14th January 2022 at 05:45 PM. Reason: approved

  2.    Advertissements


  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    o
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    thr sd ard can be sd card/SDHC maximum 32gb, SDXC it's not good

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hi,
    it is an 16GB Micro SD HC card.
    I also tried with an USB stick, which should be fine, but it also fails when trying to dl the maps. All other parts (see above) are downloaded, but not the maps.
    Maybe this is because of the GE version?
    What version do you use?
    Last edited by Magnetron; 15th January 2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Post approved.

  5. #4
    Master asprin624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,558
    Rep Power
    801

    Default

    Back in this post you said the case is closed and the 1490 is dead.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    Have you since found another 1490 that works or got the one you have working again?
    If so why not just update it with Garmin Express with the SD card installed.
    Am I missing something here?

    What good will it do if you get all the maps installed on an SD card?
    Are you going to put the SD card back in the 1490 that you say is dead?

    OR

    Have a second SD card with a Garmin and Map Folders on it and see if it will put the maps on SD nr. 2


    Spoiler: This is my setup for the SD card:
    XCxuR0o


    The Garmin folder has this file gmappupdate.gsd

    The Map folder has these items. D6210190A.unl, D6210190A.gma and D6210190A.img

    Yours might be different.....
    Last edited by asprin624; 15th January 2022 at 07:08 PM.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I have bought another 1490, but no 1490 LM and I would like to get it to run the maps I own for the dead 1490 LM (but first have to dl them).
    For this I made a copy of my the dead GarminDevice.XML to the micro SD card and would like load the maps on that SD card.
    Last edited by Boki_Srb; 15th January 2022 at 06:16 PM. Reason: approved

  7. #6
    Master asprin624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,558
    Rep Power
    801

    Default

    I understand that.
    So try setting a second SD with the folders

    So before you start Garmin Express make sure both SD are installed on your PC.
    Make sure you add folders to the blank SD card.
    OR one is a memory stick with only those 2 folders.

    Then try Garmin Express again.

    It should work now that Garmin Express see the other SD card or memory stick.
    Hopefully it will then download the maps to the second SD card.

    If not I do not know any other way around other than going to another site and downloading unlocked maps

  8. #7
    VIP Master Garmin Express 7.11.0.0 - transfer > SOLVED
    Garmin Express 7.11.0.0 - transfer > SOLVEDGarmin Express 7.11.0.0 - transfer > SOLVED
    Garman_Nuvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    On the move
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gagatt View Post
    I have bought another 1490, but no 1490 LM and I would like to get it to run the maps I own for the dead 1490 LM (but first have to dl them).
    For this I made a copy of my the dead GarminDevice.XML to the micro SD card and would like load the maps on that SD card.
    Help via PM due to device ID privacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Garman_Nuvi
    Quote Originally Posted by gagatt
    As the device is dead, would you be so kind an generate a garmindevice.xml for my new nüvi 1490?
    what details would you need?

    or let me know, how to do it on my own

    Thanks

    gaga
    So ,I assume the "New" nüvi 1490 does not have Lifetime map updates?
    As it only requires the map .img & Junction view files .JCV I would just substitute the device ID 38xxxxxxxx with the one from your scrap device. this will trick Garmin Express to install the latest maps etc. The map (gmapprom.img )file will be locked to the scrapped device ,but using Gimgun will unlock it.
    My preferred method is to make a clone device on an SD card or USB by creating a Garmin folder & putting the LM garmindevice.xml in it.

    GN
    So make sure your new nuvi 1490 (NON LM) software etc is up to date with GE, then make a copy of it's garmindevice.xml ,open with notepad and edit as above <Id>38xxxxxxxx</Id>

    Check your PM

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asprin624 View Post
    I understand that.
    So try setting a second SD with the folders

    So before you start Garmin Express make sure both SD are installed on your PC.
    Make sure you add folders to the blank SD card.
    OR one is a memory stick with only those 2 folders.

    Then try Garmin Express again.
    I put only one SD into the PC (card reader), only Garmin/GamrinDevice.XML was on that card.
    I also tried with a USB stick, same result.

    GE found the SD card and offered updates for Europe map, Time Zone Map, TrafficProvider.xml, Proximity Text, ...
    It successfully installed verything except for the map on the SD card.


    Quote Originally Posted by Garman_Nuvi View Post
    Help via PM due to device ID privacy
    So make sure your new nuvi 1490 (NON LM) software etc is up to date with GE, then make a copy of it's garmindevice.xml ,open with notepad and edit as above <Id>38xxxxxxxx</Id>

    I already updated the NON LM 1490 and put the old (LM) version of the GarminDevice.XML on hte SD card, changed the DeviceID to the non LM version.
    No map could be installed.
    I did it another way now - I could download the maps to my PC and then moving the full map to my SD card, using Garmin MapInstall.
    Last edited by Boki_Srb; 16th January 2022 at 07:01 PM. Reason: approved

  10. #9
    Master asprin624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,558
    Rep Power
    801

    Default

    Glad you found a way to get the maps.

    What I was trying to say is the SD you were using was a way to make Garmin Express thinks you attached your Nuvi 1490 to it.
    It then no longer sees it as a SD card but your nuvi 1490.

    That is why I said now add a second SD card or memory stick with the 2 folders "Garmin and Map" so it would see the SD it was asking for.

    But seeing you found a work around by installing the map to your PC and then using MapInstall to put it on your nuvi 1490.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    the real world
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thanks.
    Thread can be closed.
    Last edited by Boki_Srb; 17th January 2022 at 01:20 PM. Reason: approved

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •