Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member +

danger nuvi 55 behaving badly

I have a problem with the Nuvi 55 LM currently has old software 5,20 and HWID 1697, it won't start the system normaly, starts up and when you hit OK afther WARNING message it simply shuts down. If i leave and not the press OK hes OK and giv me cople massage its unreadable maps like when is unpatched and you put copy maps. And what is interesting I can go true menu normally but if I hit map on screen his shot down.
    I wanted to connect to garmin express but the garmin express program doesn't recognize it. My computer recognizes it normally and I can access every folder.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to at least update the software because it .It would help me if you installed a larger software, but via SD card, as when I'm doing a patch, if anyone has software 5.60, please leave a link. I would try abdeyt software and then patch and maps. I think I'm missing any maps and it shuts down.

It would also solve the problem if he managed to connect to garmin expres.
    I try only different USB cables and USB ports,rebot garmin,recharge fuly,and my comp and USB ports working normally with others Garmin's.

2.    Advertissements

Important User nuvi 55 behaving badly
    nuvi 55 behaving badlynuvi 55 behaving badly

@diversola
    It's likely a corrupt map .IMG file is causing that problem. Because the device is still recognized by Windows Explorer you don't need to load Cure3 fw and may simply remove any (unofficial) detail map/s you've added after patching V5.20 firmware. Because that device has already had patched fw loaded you may load a patched later version GCD file rather than use an RGN file or SD method to load BIN files which is required only initially. This means you can simply manually place the patched GCD (named only as gupdate.gcd) in the .System folder or drag nuvi55_56_560.gcd onto WebUpdater.exe or it's desktop icon with the device connected to your PC. Here's the link to V5.80:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

Member +

If I understand I need drag this gcd file into Web Updater .exe.And I do not see that file in rut .Also I did not patch this device, I just by him online.He do not recognise unlocked maps.
    Spoiler: Large Image
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by diversola; 21st November 2022 at 02:05 AM.

Your device is in MTP mode (Media Transfer Protocol) so it's .System folder isn't visible (see below*). There are most likely unlocked detail maps in that folder which are causing the problem.

WebUpdater does not reside on the device itself. It's a computer program, get it from here:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    If you don't wish to use WebUpdater and prefer to simply load the GCD file manually, download the V5.60 file and change file name "nuvi55_56_560.gcd" to "gupdate.gcd". *Make .System folder visible on your PC, read [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. To set your device to Mass Storage Mode (MSM), see [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Then connect to PC so you can place gupdate.gcd in the .System folder.

If you haven't patched the firmware you cannot use unlocked Unicode maps (codepage 65001, such as Europe NTU). You can however use NT maps (CP 1252) which are unlocked with latest gimgunlock. Units such as nuvi 53/55/56/65/66 contain a 'weak' MSV check. So those devices only need patching for Unicode map use, or alternatively you can do [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to use Unicode mapping.

Member +

I read your post and included in the folder options to show hidden files. When I connected the Nuvi 55, garnim express suddenly came out, for some reason I didn't want to use your procedures, and I continued through garmin express to update to 5.60, which is done. And now the device is dead, I can't see it on the computer, nor can I turn it on. What should I do now?
    Last edited by diversola; 21st November 2022 at 09:57 AM.

Did you remove the unlocked maps before allowing GarminExpress to update it?

Member +

Ther is no maps in device. maybe I disconnected the cable too early while booting the system.

Only if that file with the maps was not hidden. Now the device is surely on the 5.60 software, I saw that before I turned it off, the software loaded and booted the system, but I turned it off and didn't wait until it turned on completely, maybe it's that reason.
    Last edited by diversola; 21st November 2022 at 11:05 AM.

Post a screen shot of the .system folder.

You need the basic maps that come with all Garmin GPS units.
    The GPS will never work correctly with out these.

These 2 file are in the .system folder.
    GMAPTZ.img
    gmapbmap.img

So saying you do not have any maps you are missing these 2 should always be there.
    If you have a proper gmapprom.img then it should work for what ever countries you need.

How did it come that you do not have any maps in the .system folder ????

Member +

After the ablution of the software on Garmin Express, I cannot turn on the device, and the computer no longer recognizes it, nor does Garmin Express find it.I had software before 5.20 HWID 1697 , so now I updated it to 5.60. GArmin Express showed that it was at 5.60. But while it was booting the system, I disconnected it from the computer
    Last edited by diversola; 21st November 2022 at 11:59 AM.

@diversola
    At worst the device should only be 'soft-bricked' even though you interrupted it while it was self-loading the new firmware from the GCD file. In explanation, GE works the same as WebUpdater. That is, it loads a GCD file to the device but the fw is not immediately updated. The update happens on next boot after disconnecting from PC. The GCD is like a self-extracting EXE file which is executed by the the device itself to then flash the appropriate regions of the device with the new data which is different to the way Updater.exe directly flashes the fw's BIN files from an RGN file or the way individual BINs are flashed by Ldr.bin using SD method.

So it shouldn't be 'dead' now unless it had a failing flash chip when you bought it and the chip has now collapsed. That kind of hardware fault can't be recovered by software manipulation but that is the less likely cause, probably it's just a firmware ('software') mess-up. Take it into a pitch-dark room or cupboard and check if the screen glows faintly on pressing the power button.