Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Likes Likes:  0

Default File Types: Pros and Cons

Hi,

There is lots of info out there on how to create and/or convert jnx, img, kmz files but I can't find much on comparing the file types as they are used in the field. For example, suppose I have a selection of hiking trails in a google satellite photo in SASPlanet of a couple square miles with zoom= 20 or so.

Which file type should I create for my Oregon 600 and why? Why would I want to convert a jnx file to img? Etc...

2.    Advertissements

@hwdean,

Please explain what you want to do with your GPS.

The info in the manual is pretty clear.

You can use JNX files the way they are no need to convert

KMZ google map files and be made into IMG files very easy there there at websites that do it online for you.

But on my GPSMAP 66s I only use openstreet maps for my hiking
    For Geocaching I get all my Geocaches from the geocaching wedsite no need to make any GPX files.
    As for tracks GPX files you can download them from many sites again no need to make any.

Unless you know your way around MapSource then you can make the GPX files yourself for a hinking trip.

How long have you had the Garmin Oregon??

Been using my eTrex since 2007 and just upgraded to the GPSMAP 66s Last year.

Have never needed to make my own maps from any format.
    For Birdeye view JNX files which can be downloaded directly to the 66s and also Oregon 600 I see no need to convert them.

I have tried Google KMZ maps and converted them but find them so so.

Best to stick with original Garmin maps or Openstreet maps for all your hiking.

A lot of users want to try their hands on doing all these converts and wind up not doing it correctly to begin with.

Then ask question after question to get it straight in their head what they are doing wrong.

Unless you know your way around your Garmin Oregon very good and have a need to convert something stick with what is out there with out converting anything.

Map Types
    The Garmin Oregon 6x0 currently supports the following map formats:

IMG (*.img) Proprietary Garmin vector map
    KMZ (*.kmz) User created raster map (not locked to device)
    JNX (*.jnx) Garmin BirdsEye high resolution satellite raster map imagery (locked to specific device)
    GPX (*.gpx) GPs eXchange format is a universal open source XML data format used for waypoints, routes, and tracks

Map Storage Capacity
    The Oregon 6x0 is not without limitation. Consider these guidelines when selecting maps for your Oregon 6x0:

IMG: A maximum of 20 maps, not exceeding 4000 map segments in total, will be indexed
    KMZ: Must not exceed 500 total map tiles across all KMZ maps
    JNX: Support for 250 maps per device
    GPX: Limited to 2000 total GPX + GGZ files, 4000 total waypoints, 200 routes and 200 tracks (maximum 10,000 points per track)

Map Install Direct
    Not all maps require installation to a host computer before being sent to your Garmin GPSr. Maps in the following formats can be copied directly to your GPSr or microSD card as shown:

IMG: [GPSr]\Garmin\ or [microSD]\Garmin\
    KMZ: [GPSr]\Garmin\CustomMaps\ or [microSD]\Garmin\CustomMaps\
    JNX: [GPSr]\Garmin\BirdsEye\ or [microSD]\Garmin\BirdsEye\
    GPX: [GPSr]\Garmin\GPX\ or [microSD]\Garmin\GPX\

Try starting here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by asprin624; 25th April 2020 at 07:08 AM.

Hi aspirin

I know about the images and how to get them and put them in Garmin. I've hacked my firmware and my Garmin will display any jnx file I put in it. My question is: given identical satellite views which format provides the best view when looking at the screen. Is one sharper than the other, etc? jnx is faster than img, right? what about compared to kmz? Is jnx better for larger areas than kmz? And if so, at what point?

The jnx files I create from Google Satellite are better resolution than the ones downloaded from Garmin. Although lately, for my area, it seems that the ones from Birdseye subscription are more recent these days.

I've been using my Oregon for hiking for several years. I've always created kmz files for custom maps (calibrating them manually), but now that i can create jnx or img files just as easily (or easier) using apps like SASPlanet or mapc2 which format provides the best screen view while on the trail?

Thanks

That you will have to test for yourself.
    Each person has their taste in what they like and do not like.
    Tried some BirdsEye files with my 66s they are free to download.
    I always go back to just using free openstreet maps or Garmin official maps for all my hiking needs.
    Tried all the different things you talk about but in the long run it is just easier to use what I have in the way of maps not spend a lot of time on.
    More of my time is spend putting together trips for user's to like.

Seeing that before this virus I was taking groups out to learn how to use a GPS Unit and kept it as simple as I can for the beginners.

But I do not take anything away from user's who like to make their own maps or convert different formats.
    That is a user's taste one way or the other.
    I have read too many user's here in this forum and other forums get themselves so mixed up and not understand what they are doing.

All I can say is try and what works best for you.
    Last edited by asprin624; 25th April 2020 at 03:58 PM.

I use OSM a lot also. Most of the open spaces i hike in were once ranches and homesteads (Los Angeles). One of the things I like to do is find old trails and ranch roads that are no longer on the maps and haven't been used in decades; or the locations of old homes and other points of interest you can only see in satellite photos or old aerials. If its a historical aerial I would calibrate it using google earth and import the kmz into the garmin. And of course, I would convert historical paper and digitial maps to kmz also. With some of the tools I have been playing with I have more options on the type of map to use. There is not much info out there on just how a jnx file differs from a kmz file in terms of performance -- even just from a theoretical standpoint.