It is poorly documented by Garmin but you can have multiple maps in the "Garmin" folder on your microSD card as long as they end in .img. You can have up to 4GB of maps. They will all show up and you can enable/disable them as required via the Setup/Maps function.
This is certainly far easier than removing the microSD card every time you need to change your map region. I personally found it highly confusing with all my maps named gmapsupp.img. At least now you can give them a sensible name such as USA.img etc.
* Added Waypoint Averaging application (For more information visit our new Trail Tech website at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
* Added Sight 'N Go application for the Oregon 300/400i/400c/400t
* Added Man Overboard application
* Added big numbers option to the trip computer
* Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt)
* Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory
* Added new trip computer dashboards
* Added option to display four configurable data fields on the map
* Added 'search near' option to Geocaches search
* Added the ability to view geocache logs separate from the description
* Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location
* Added ability to edit a waypoint from the waypoint review
* Added support for Custom POI database and category selection
* Added distance and bearing to point when reviewing a Custom POI
* Added POI subcategories
* Added change location to Sun and Moon
* Added change location to Hunt and Fish
* Added ability to force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable
* Added NMEA 9600 baud
* Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery
* Improved map zooming
* Improved map draw speed
* Improved map panning and zooming when shaded relief is turned on
* Improved automatic route recalculation
* Improved Custom POI spell search
* Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items
* Improved readability of configurable data fields
* Improved display of numeric degrees and mils
* Improved GPS performance at slow speeds in tree cover
* Improved compass responsiveness in challenging GPS environments
* Improved battery gage for NiMH batteries
* Improved stability when changing profiles
* Improved Wherigo stability
* Improved connection reliability with Spanner
* Improved Spanish keyboard
* Fixed airport points not displaying on the map
* Fixed lockup when a search returns no results
* Fixed elevation errors when reviewing a point other than a waypoint
* Increased the number of waypoints viewable from the Waypoint Manager and Where To?>Waypoints
I own Oregon 450. Do I have to rename EXACTLY as this?
'Cause I only renamed the file as
even gmapsup.img do works for me...
Last edited by khilly; 31st January 2011 at 03:02 PM.
On my Oregon 450 there is a limitation of 22 .img files. When I put more then 22 files on the SD card, the latest added maps will not show in the maplist. A solution is to merge the maps. The limitation really seems to be the amount of files, I constantly stay within the 4000 segment limitation.
sure ,if you use .unl file it must have the same name :anyname.img + anyname.unl
but if you have one of the latest firmwares and a map with FID greater than 2200 it wont work coz you dont have .gma file-
Use Fast IMG Unlocker in that case