Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?

Hello everyone, I just bought a Garmin Smart Drive 65. The device does not allow me to load any unlocked maps and neither the maps of the "Mapear" project of Argentina. Is there a way to make the maps work? is there a patch for the firmware? Or should I use a basecamp or Mapinstall patched? Thank you very much in advance

2.    Advertissements

There is no way to use unlocked Garmin Maps on the Smart Drive 65 it is encrypted.
    There are no patched for this series of Garmin Units.

There s no fix for these Drive Drivesmart 52 55 65 (Note info from gpsurl forum)

Use Garmin Express to update the Smart Drive 65.
    If there are map updates you should get them.

If you want other maps other than South America then you will have to order them over Garmin Express.
    Last edited by asprin624; 6th January 2022 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Asprin, bad news

Important User Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?
    Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?

@enetilah
    @asprin624
    While the Drive 52 indeed runs an encrypted version of Garmin's proprietary OS and still uses a *.GCD file to update firmware, the Drive Series 55 & 65 all use a modified Linux OS. That's confirmed by their firmware updates being a *.UPDATE file. Regardless, there's no published solution for either type of fw to be 'patched' at this time.

Thanks Butters. I have the possibility to exchange this device for a Drive 61 (with money back, of course). Drive 61 supports unlocked maps? Thanks

Important User Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?
    Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?

Yes, it can be patched but because it has GVS Protection you will need to patch it using an RGN file via Updater.exe, or flash modified BIN file using SD method (Latter is easier because preboot is quite difficult to attain in modern devices).
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

@enetilah,

I do not understand you say you just bought a new Smart Drive 65.
    Does it not come with new maps on it??

If it is not the maps you need for the area you live in.
    Then you should of made sure you order the correct setup.

First of all I am never in favour of patching NEW Garmin units.
    You kill the warranty.

Second it is a lot cheaper to just buy the map you need from Garmin with the unlock key.

I own many Garmin units and if I really need another countries maps like the USA for example, I then buy it.

Spoiler: Automotive Maps
    Code:

OR
    Spoiler: More info on cost of maps

Code:

Spoiler: How to select the area you need when buying the Smart Drive 65
    Code:
    Last edited by asprin624; 7th January 2022 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asprin624 View Post
    @enetilah,

I do not understand you say you just bought a new Smart Drive 65.
    Does it not come with new maps on it??

If it is not the maps you need for the area you live in.
    Then you should of made sure you order the correct setup.
    He stated in the first post why he wanted to patch the fw. He, like many Argentinians, prefers to use the local Mapear product. Garmin's protection blocks the use of 3rd party maps, even those covering the same region as the device's factory-loaded detail map entitlement. That's his personal choice to use Mapear and quite frankly he should be able to use such alternate map data if he wants imo.

First of all I am never in favour of patching NEW Garmin units.
    You kill the warranty.
    Why do you say that? I've never known Garmin to avoid a warranty claim on a bricked device, they unquestionably do an even-exchange for a new or refurb device of same type and map entitlement. The don't do any forensic examination, the device is simply superficially checked for any sign of user abuse or physical alteration then sent off for refurbishment. The only way a claim would be refused on a bricked unit would be if the consumer 'fessed up' to messing with fw intentionally. Regardless, unless you do something really stupid like flash an incompatible ramloader (boor.bin/Lrd.bin) it's very easy to un-brick any garmin which has had corrupt/incompatible system software (main firmware) flashed to region 14.

I quote him:

The device does not allow me to load any unlocked maps and neither the maps of the "Mapear" project of Argentina.
    First he is trying to use Garmin official maps that he said they are unlocked which will not work on the Smart Drive 65 in the first place.

(Garmin_Nuvi has also told him DriveSmart 65 cannot be patched to use unlocked maps.)

Second if he has a problem with "Mapear" project of Argentina maps then contact both the "Mapear" website and explain his problems to them in regards to these free maps on the Smart Drive 65. Just maybe they have a work around.

Plus contact Garmin and ask them why "Mapear" free maps do not work on a Smart Drive 65.

Doing ones homework save a lot of headaches.

So if he does exchange the Smart Drive 65 for the Smart Drive 61 he will still have to patch it and if he gets it wrong no dough he will be asking for help to fix the Smart Drive 61 because it does not work.

Just tested some of my Free maps and they all work on my Smart Drive 61 with no problems at all.

As I do not have these "Mapear" maps I would think they would work also.
    Last edited by asprin624; 7th January 2022 at 01:20 PM.

VIP Master Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?
    Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?Smart Drive 65 - Can't load maps unblocked or any other. Any firmware parch?

enetilah has discussed this topic on other forums.it is difficult to answer here in the same way out of respect for the rules
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] does not seem to have the same range as other countries & are not specific on what maps are included.
    Personally I would be buying a DriveSmart 61 from the US looking at the Argentinian pricing ,but obviously logistics play a part.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] maps are popular & do work on a fixed devices
    Small Test map used [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Spoiler: Image
    flGE2b3