In order not to clutter the sticky Garmin Mapsource Creator thread I start a new one even if I suspect that most issues are about MPC.

What I want is to build a new version of the topo map FriPro "version 5", in vector style, not raster.

- This is what I have:

ESRI shape files in about 36 layers with corresponding .shp .dbf .shx .prj type files in SWEREF99.
The data are now avalible for free download and use since the turn of the year from the swedish "Lantm�teriverket". This gives the opportunity to create an up-to-date version of the topo map. Data can be downloaded in shape or mapinfo format.

- This is what I have done so far:

Importing the shape files to QGIS works fine and I can see the different type of i.e. roads in the roads layer.
(The reason for using QGIS is that it is free and kind people have made style files for theese maps in order to make them look good.)
Converting the .shp files to WGS84 (needed by MPC) made with OGR2GUI64 seems to work fine.
Importing the WGS84 files to QGIS works fine and I can see the different types of roads in the layer just as before the map datum conversion.
With the help of suitable .qml files the map looks really good in QGIS, with the help of .typ files the same good look would hopefully be possible in an .img file for Garmin gps and MapSource/BaseCamp.
Routing ability is not neccessary even if it would be possible, it is a topo map and roads/paths are not always connected properly.

I have started with the two layers that contains the roads and footpaths in order to keep it simple.
With MPC8.3 an .img file and also MapSource install CD is generated. Map looks OK in MapSource/BaseCamp.
BUT, all roads are of the same type. The different type of roads have been lost in the MPC processing and the generated .typ file contains no polylines as expected.
MPC gave one error in log file but beside from that it seems to process OK.

Warning: 1 Unrecognized Line features in file G:\Projekt\vl_20.shp: Type: - Link id: 0

That is as far as I have come for now.
I do not know how the attributes for i.e. different types of roads are stored in an .shp file (or the .dbf file?) but it seems that they are lost by MPC.

Hopfully someone can point me in the right direction...