MapInstall software version 4.0.0
as of April 23, 2012
Download (18.51 MB)
WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
This software requires Windows XP SP3 or greater and Windows Media Player 11 or greater (a free download from Microsoft).
Changes made from version 3.15.0 to 4.0.0:
Added ability to automatically send all current map products to newer devices if possible.
Added ability to send full map products to newer devices rather than needing to select individual map tiles.
Added display of how many map tiles are selected.
Changed the map selection page to no longer list map products that are locked for the selected device.
Download the MapInstall update file into a directory on your hard drive. (i.e., c:\garmin).
Change to the directory in which you downloaded the files, (i.e., c:\garmin), and run the executable file (.exe). Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the MapInstall installation.
Mirror:Code:Please Login or Register to see the links
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Looks like I have to update my FAQs in my blog.
Is anyone else having problems with the patched version on an XP Pro system? I installed the new 4.0 Garmin version and it works perfectly but after replacing Mapinstall.exe with this patched version, the patched version errors out right after starting. It dies on the screen where it's trying to find devices.
This is on a very up to date XP pro system with SP3. The only line that looks interesting to me is the following line in the error report.
All of the earlier originl versions of mapinstall and their patched versions still work perfectly. This new patched version is the only one I'm having trouble with.
There isn't any problem with the patched version on my XP SP3.
I retested now in my 7 and patch works fine, have you replaced the right file?
I can even make the original download Mapinatal 4.0 from the garmin website fail on my system. If I run the Garmin original version it functions properly AS LONG AS there is no SD card installed in either in the GPS or in my USB card reader. Trying to run mapinstall with an SD card IN EITHER the GPS or my USB card reader, causes the Garmin original version to fails during the process of identifying devices. It fails exactly as the patched version does for me.
Interestinly enough, if I insert an SD card anwhere (which contains a valid sd:\garmin\device.xml), the original Garmin mapinstall will work correctly with either. I used a device.xml from another GPS and the Garmin version recognizes them as 2 separate devices.
Mapinstall 3.15.0 and its patched version still work jusr fine. I guess I've got some digging to do.
There are issues with 4.0. See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
While I like the prospect of being able to install a map without having to select all the tiles, Garmin's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. They dumbed the interface down to an unacceptable level. Now, at least from how I understand things, in the advanced options maps that haven't changed are going to get reinstalled with the maps that DO change. It gets worse. If you don't use the advanced options and tell MapInstall to go ahead, it will install every compatible map it can find to your device. What it doesn't say is whether those maps will be individual images or (more likely) one gigantic map image.
Seriously, the old MapInstall interface was perfectly fine, but could have benefited from the following:
1. A simple checklist of compatible maps, allowing the user to select or deselect the maps he or she doesn't wish to be installed. The current rendition is not simple and in fact is quite confusing. You have partial and full maps color coded with a drop-down box offering whether to leave the map as is, to remove it, or to install the full map. Where is the option to NOT install the map at all and not remove the existing map? It's not there.
2. On the map screen, a button to select all tiles on a map set. As presented, going into advanced options by default all the map tiles are selected, which means individually selecting each and every tile and clicking on it to deselect it. I attempted to do a mass deselect of the tiles in a copy of Europe and could not do it, so this is now a really painful process that could have been fixed simply by keeping things the way they were.
3. Each map selected in 1 pops up in sequence, similar to how POI Loader works for POI files. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but POI Loader already does this and I assume most people are familiar with that software, so having both pieces of software functioning identically is a good thing.
4. Memory size available as a combination of both internal and external memory on each map screen. MapInstall 4.0 DOES implement this, however according to the link to the Garmin Forums, the implementation isn't working properly.
5. A help file would be nice. This here could have eliminated many of these concerns, simply explaining what would happen with selected maps. Do these maps get combined into one large map image? Does the end user get the option to name the file for each map? Does the map get installed regardless of whether it has been actually updated or not?
Unless you are a neophyte Garmin user or unless Garmin actually makes the software usable, I would recommend sticking with MapInstall 3.15.
Thanks. Learned something new.
My general sentiment is that the tiles should not be selected by default. It assumes too much, which is in keeping with Garmin dumbing down the interface.