Small point about the Forerunner 310XT update:
Although the 'hidden text' in the html source for the web page (id=4464)
states the update file can be downloaded and then WebUpdater used, this is not so. The 310XT connects to the PC using wireless technology - ANT. This uses a USB stick and Garmin software referred to as ANT Agent. WebUpdater cannot 'see' ANT devices - confirmed by a Garmin forum post and my own practical expereince.
The only way to get the update to the 310XT seems to be to follow the Garmin stated procedure:
1. install ANT Agent - the installer can be downloaded without registering
2. sync the 310XT to ANT Agent
3. install Garmin's Communicator browser plugin - this can also be downloaded without registering
4. Go to Garmin myDashboard - 310XT should be identified, including the serial number on the back of the watch
5. Download the update, box at bottom left of web page - no need to register to get the update (note how many files are stated to be downloaded)
6. Follow the instructions to use ANT Agent to download the update to the 310XT (browser can be closed before using ANT Agent)
7. Fire up ANT Agent and it 'knows' there is an update to send to the 310XT, and gets on with it. Transfer to the 310XT via ANT takes some time, and there might be more than one update action. First update might be 18 minutes or so, then the second might take 6 minutes and the last a minute or two. Thing is to wait after ANT Agent states the transfer was successful -there might be another to come! Leave it a good 5 minutes with no activity before disturbing the watch or the ANT USB stick.
The above will also apply to the Forerunner 610, if as inferred by the changelog, it also connects using ANT.