If the instructions from Garmin will not update your NAVI CF carded unit, then there are some further steps that you can take. These steps are best accomplished by two people.
1. Remove the screws from the trunk unit, so that you can open up the plastic cover. There are four screws holding the plastic cover to the trunk front wall, and for the two lower ones you will need a shorter screwdriver (Philips head)
2. Open the plastic cover to expose the NAVI unit. Look closely at the top edge of the unit, to find a tiny hole. This is the reset, and it needs an object the size of a paper clip to press it.
3. Partially insert the CF card with the update on it into the slot in the GPS unit, but do not press it home. Using a paper clip or like item, test press the reset button so you can see what pressure it takes – not much.
4. While pressing the reset button, have someone turn the ignition switch to ACC position, and read what the display says. It should say “holding”. At this time, while continuing to hold the reset button in, finish inserting the CF card with the update on it.
5. The display should go to “loader” and then to “updating from card”. At this time, you can release the reset button, and allow the unit to update.
6. Turn the ignition to the off position.