I have a custom mapset that I have been using for quite some time now, I have made several copies and used on various nuvi models. This mapset was working for over 2 months then all of a sudden it starts saying "Cannot Authenticate maps"
Nuvi model is 1490
I have been copying the files SD card to SD Card.
Then using gmap tool to get the required information to enter particulars into garmin keygen, to create a custom UNL file.
Like I said this was working on this GPS for quite a while and only started doing this recently.
I've also tried re-flashing the GPS software .. running latest 5.30.
Anybody with any ideas?
Is this something that would happen out of the blue on a working mapset though. ... It worked for several months and now just started doing this.
Did you recently update the firmware on the unit. If you hooked up to Garmins servers it will do it automatically. Or if you updated Mapsource or other software from Garmin it will update firmware and make ther GMA protection start to work again.
You can try re-installing all of the "Patched" programs such as MapSource and see if that works.
Yeah, I got tripped up on this the first time I saw the unauthenticated status.
Something to point out that might be of importance. Ballebar in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] states "The GPS might still need the GMA file for that unique unit if the GMA technology is implemented in the newer firmwares." He then mentions using an unlocker to fix the problem, which in fact is the right solution. However, the sentence I quote from him here is inaccurate.
ALL Garmin nuvis, regardless of age, will encounter GMA authentication problems if the maps are not unlocked. My 200W hasn't had an updated firmware released in over three years now and is an earlier unit in the run (n2 S V4 1GB SIRF). It refused to use the new maps unless I unlocked them with Fast IMG Unlocker.
GMA authentication is solely within the maps and has absolutely nothing to do with the firmware.
So do I. In fact all of the 2010 maps and the 2011 maps up until 2011.30 I unlocked using a patched MapSource and with an .unl file. I cannot tell whether that trend continues because I don't use a patched MapSource file, but I do know that with the current version of MapSource installed, this is what I get when I look at the "Unlock Regions" tab:
That there is a .gma file, which is (best guess) a hash file based upon the map's unlock code and the GPS receiver's serial number. The hash is created when the map is downloaded from Garmin, and converted to a file when transferred to a GPS receiver. With this file, the maps will only work on the device in which they were intended, and only in the configuration specified (e.g. lower 49 states, North America). Without this file, the maps will not work at all. This is the problem I had encountered when I downloaded 2012.10 from Garmin, and it took Fast IMG Unlocker to fully unlock the maps so they could be transferred to my other devices from my 1300LM.
Okay I've tried fast img unlocker, and still no love. I also have a created UNL file on the SD card aswell. Could this be giving me grief
no ,no joy with the .unl file on gps ,you need the unlocker if you have the .gma problem,run FIU on the img, no other solution.