Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !

Hi !

I'm new to this forum, like to ask help for unbricking my virb elite cam ...

1) Bricked device MODEL, Firmware version, HWID.
    Garmin VIRB Elite 3.70 sorry don't know the HWID

2) Why and how the device got bricked.
    During FW update. Specified file not found error (or similar).
    Maybe my SD card was faulty ...

3) Symptoms: what's wrong in your device?
    Can not boot up. Hangs on Garmin LOGO. PC does NOT recognize unit only turns it on (cos of mini USB power...)

4) Does your pc sees your device ?
    NO. NOT at all .... That's why I need help. Need to load loader or boot.bin directly via JTAG or don't know any other solutions ...
    Hope u find a really easy way ...

5) List all the procedures you already tried to unbrick it and their results and errors messages obtained.
    Cos PC can not recognize (if I pluged it in nothing happens, no bubble up, no ding-ding, no unrecognized device) ...

6) Do you have Garmin USB Drivers installed ? Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads
    Of course

7) If you don't know HWID get it by Use program G7ToWin to retrieve your HWID
    Don't know it supports it or not

8) Write down if you already read or tried GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices
    How to unbrick a nüvi - step by step guide
    Started to read, but my unit can NOT step in preboot (don't know even has it any or not)

9) Can you reach preboot mode? If no ,have you followed this? Garmin Updater.exe v.2.8.0
    I couldn't reach it.

10) Probably no , but do you have NV backup?
    ?

11) Once you get a reply and a procedure to follow from our experts, please give an accurate reply about what you did and obtained results.

Wait for ur help ! I think I have to open device and go to a lower level, like soldering on PCB and use JTAG or sth similar .... (Hope not)

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !
    Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !

The thread you were referring above and its questions are valid for Garmin gps devices, not applicable to a Virb camera.
    Btw try this.... take the memory card out and replace with either another freshly formatted one or format the one that was in there.
    The software update copies the files to that card and when you switch the VIRB back on it installs from the memory card.
    If something failed during the update, may be file is corrupt in sd or not present at all.
    Be sure to fully insert usb cord , must force it a bit to fully insert.

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Master

In addition to caty's suggestion, I am just questing, but open the gcd firmware file for virb and replace this string:
    18 03 c7 06 86 01 bd with 18 03 c7 06 87 01 bd

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    The thread you were referring above and its questions are valid for Garmin gps devices, not applicable to a Virb camera.
    Btw try this.... take the memory card out and replace with either another freshly formatted one or format the one that was in there.
    The software update copies the files to that card and when you switch the VIRB back on it installs from the memory card.
    If something failed during the update, may be file is corrupt in sd or not present at all.
    Be sure to fully insert usb cord , must force it a bit to fully insert.

Code:
    With new (or formatted SD card) situation is the same ...
    If I put a new card in it nothing happens ... no new files, no filesystem created, nothing.
    Device can not boot up, not even start any usb process ... So don't know, how to install FW ...
    I think it will need hard wired solution (hope not) ...
    Why should I edit original firmware ? RGN Tool can not handle this GCD file ... There is no boot.ini

Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !Garmin VIRB Elite UnBrick HELP needed !

I meant: copy VIRB_390.gcd in the formatted sd and start it.
    •Copy the gupdate.gcd file to [µSD]\Garmin\gupdate.gcd
    •Disconnect and reboot the VIRB
    Editing string in firmware probably would let device start into Mass Storage Mode, but only my supposition.
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

I meant: copy VIRB_390.gcd in the formatted sd and start it.

Editing string in firmware probably would let device start into Mass Storage Mode, but only my supposition.

I've already tried it ... (without hex modification) ... nothing happend.

Have you tried with another sd ? Wrong update may be damaged it.
    How have you formatted the one you have? Try with RMPrepUSB.
    Code:
    l9ebnsm

Quote Originally Posted by ddabcd277 View Post
    In addition to caty's suggestion, I am just questing, but open the gcd firmware file for virb and replace this string:
    18 03 c7 06 86 01 bd with 18 03 c7 06 87 01 bd

What does is supposed to do ? (No effect for me ... )

Have you tried with another sd ? Wrong update may be damaged it.
    How have you formatted the one you have? Try with RMPrepUSB.
    Code:
    Unfortunatelly I haven't got any other uSD at the moment ...
    SD Card can be read on PC seems no problem with it ...
    I think it was formated to FAT or FAT32 don't know ...
    How should I format it with RMPrep ?

Prepared as mentioed with RMPrepUSB, nothing ...

I think the biggest problem, that my device do NOT appear in Win's Device Manager .... No Bubble, No new device wizard,
    can not put it in pre-boot mode, so no USB Mass Storage .... nothing.... nothing happens when I plug it in ....
    I don't know this way Updater.exe would do anything with it (I think not.) ....

Other ...
    VIRB 's GCD file not supported by RGN Tool or GarminCure3 by kunix