Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    GPSPower Helper Couple of twitchs and then some random questions
    Couple of twitchs and then some random questions

Once you are using custom firmware you need to stop using online tools to update your Nuvi.
    Everything needs to be done manually otherwise this will continue to happen unless you edit your garmindevice.xml to fool the garmin servers.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Couple of twitchs and then some random questions
    Couple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questions

Best to avoid express if you can. If you can use WebUpdater for firmware as said above and it's ok for voice files etc, and use MapUpdater for new maps [if you have Lifetime Maps or buy them].

About the dictionary, i don't really know if the voice translation will work ok for sure with SG fw, need to mod the firmware for additional voices such as ES to know that. But the written EN-ES translation works on screen for me with SG, the voice can't work because i only have working EN voices on-board at present, it has the speaker icon for ES but won't play because the ES voice OB isn't in the SG fw yet. Baby steps, let's just get SG fw on your 765 and then we'll worry about the next step [i'm actually hoping i can get you to do the voice mod for the fw too - give a man a fish etc .... otherwise i'll want a pallet of beer ].
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member + Couple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questions RDesikan's Avatar

Ok the sg firmware is in and working. I combined the two tutorials you suggested, i made the rgn file with the one, and then replaced the five folders you told me to. Is there a tutorial for modding the voices? I find this sort of tinkering fascinating. I modded my phone, my computers, my car, my motorcycle, and now my gps.

As to the en/es dictionary, the speaker icon is there, but the first time I clicked it it displayed a message about having the wrong voice, and now it just beeps. It didn't have a speaker icon before I modded it so I'm hopeful there is a fix for this. I'm going to go to Burger King now, assuming it's open since it's american Thanksgiving day, and test out my newly modded device. I'm wondering if the speed limit icons are going to cover up the compass or not show up. We'll see I guess.
    Last edited by RDesikan; 28th November 2014 at 02:21 AM.

Couple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questions

Quote Originally Posted by RDesikan View Post
    Ok whoever wrote garmin express needs a good kick in the nuts. I specifically clicked install Jill and what did it do? installed 4.5 so I had to do the damn thing over again. But it works.

My dictionary works only when i try to get it to pronounced spanish it says wrong audio or something. I don't think it likes the newest tts audio. Think If i found an older version it would work?
    My previous reply was to the original post in red, but i see you've edited later. To be clear, it's not to do with the ES version on-board, it's only because the unmodded SG fw doesn't support ES and we have to mod it to support extra voices as i did with the TWN fw. Currently the SG fw only supports 3 of your loaded voice i.e. Karen, Jill, Daniel. When we add the ES voices [might have to add EU ES not just AM ES] it may work which will give you a workaround for the US fw breaking the dictionary a while back.

Going by your latest post, you're ready to have a cr@ck at something a bit different, so do you want to try the fw voice modding yourself? Have a look at how to do it with RGN_VoiceEditor from this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. If you decide it's beyond you, i'll grudgingly do it for you but you'll need to tell me which voices you'd like to use. I'm sure you can handle it though.

SG supports 12 voices, 11 of which can be substituted because you must keep American English. Karen, Jill & Daniel are already supported so that leaves up to 8 which can be changed:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

It's easy to do, read the text file included with the download of latest v2.02 from [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of the thread.

Happy Thanksgiving btw. Burger King is Hungry Jacks over here, dunno why but maybe someone had 'burger king' name copyrighted or registered before they started up. Do BK's do a Turkey Whopper in US for today? Have one for me.
    OK, so it's a bl**dy peacock! Looks a bit like a turkey ....... [it's the thought that counts].
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member + Couple of twitchs and then some random questionsCouple of twitchs and then some random questions RDesikan's Avatar

Ok, using that tool i added the languages and the dictionary now talks. However, webupdater now thinks I need to upgrade to 4.5, and I don't have a GUPDATE.GCD file anymore. What do y'all think I should do about this?

I edited the rgn i made, not the gupdate.gcd file. I then flashed the new rgn on my device. Should I have altered my gupdate.gcd instewad? and where did my gupdate.gcd file go, because i forgot to remove it before i flashed the device.

Good there wasn't any gupdate.gcd on the unit, don't use GE or WU for updating firmware directly. I'll only dl the latest US/EU fw and then flash it back to where you were before as a stock US device.

If you need to update the fw [unlikely there'll be any more anyway] you'll need to remake the hybrid and then mod it for the voices. An RGN file has to be flashed with Updater.exe, whereas a GCD file is a bit like a 'self-extracting auto update file' [kind of anyway], but they both contain the same fw which is why you can make an RGN from a GCD and vice versa.

Do you mean you've done the mod for the voices too?
    Last edited by Neil; 28th November 2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typos.

Yeah I did the mod for the voices and my dictionary now speaks spanish. How do I get the files i usually use webupdater to get, there were a few of them translation files and traffic something or other and maybe two or three more.

How come modding the voices made whatever fooled webupdater into thinking i had the latest firmware break?

And how do i edit my garmindevice.xml file? Edit: nevermind I figured that out, but webupdater still doesn't show me the files I normally need after I flash the new firmware.

Additionally I know thanks posts are strictly verboten, but y'all have been amazingly helpful.
    Last edited by RDesikan; 28th November 2014 at 08:43 AM.

Y'all? How did you know i have multiple personality disorder? [i know you're talking about others here too, i'm not that conceited. Just couldn't miss the chance for a dig is all]. No probs mate, i got lots of help from here when i first kicked off [still need some occasionally].

GE and WU look at the HWID in your GarminDevice.xml. Because it's still US/EU 0870 it wants to give you the latest US firmware. That's because we've used the US boot.bin and the HWID override in RGN_Tool when the hybrid fw was made. Don't worry about new fw there probably won't be any further versions for either US or Asian i reckon. If you want to take the risk, you could flash with the voice-modded fw_all.bin and sg boot.bin but that'll change your hwid. I wouldn't do it myself though. No problems with GE/WU then though, but i reckon the risk outweighs the slight convenience of that.

Anyway, that's good to know we've found a way to re-active the Dictionary. I know you've posted in the Oxford Language Guide about the loss of the spoken translations and others were not happy about it too. Maybe you could post again over there pointing back to this thread as a workaround solution.

Congrats champ. You can drink that beer you bought me y'self for thanksgiving.

Way ahead of you mate, I was drunk when I flashed the firmware.

So what do I do about those updates? One of them was for traffic and that seems important.

I will now sally forth and post about the dictionary fix, giving credit where credit is due.
    Last edited by RDesikan; 28th November 2014 at 11:21 AM.

Lol! Happy Hangover Day then.

If it was a fw update for TMC traffic receivers, the specific model GTMxx will be updated when it's connected to the unit. Don't concern yourself too much about it, particularly if you don't have a traffic receiver.

@All
    For those considering flashing to SG or similar Asian fw as a fix for the non-speaking Dictionary [Oxford Language Guide] in a US/EU nuvi7x5 with fw V4.xx, be aware that [afaik] Asian firmwares don't have the ability to support a second detail map gmapsup1.img in Garmin SD Card which is enabled in US/EU v4.40 & v4.50 fw.

Note that to have support for a specific spoken language you must have a TTS voice vpm file for it as well as your native language loaded. The standard Dictionary supports 9 Languages all of them EU with 2 variants each of EN, ES & PL, the Continental & Americas. You need at least one TTS voice for each required language, US/EU fw supports 66 possible vpm files whereas SG fw will only support up to 12, 11 other vpm files in addition to the non-TTS English_American_.vpm which must not be altered. You can have all 9 of the Dictionary languages plus an extra two TTS voices, or the non-TTS English_British.vpm plus an extra TTS voice. Those 2 extra TTS can then only be used for navigation and not for the Lexicon. The dropdown selections in RGNVoiceEditor v2.02 give a choice of up to 78 vpm files to be supported. This is what I've chosen for an NA 765, electing to have the 6 available EN TTS and 5 other TTS, German, French, Italian, Latin American ES and BR PL:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

If you want to have all 7 EN variants including non-TTS British English then it means dropping one of the other language TTS of course. If someone wants the above language selection, here are the modified files comprised of the voice modded hybrid US/SG fw as an rgn file, Updater.exe and the required ExtData, Help, RemoteSW & Voice files to suit the SG software as in the above pic:

This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button and hit F5 to read this content.

Please hard reset before and after the flash, and very importantly do [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] before and after too.

HWID is set for US 0870, and Software override is set to V4.51 to prevent GE or WU wanting to upgrade it when you're downloading voice files [don't grab updated text, help or anything else as you'll overwrite the SG specific files with US/EU ones. Should you want to check if any of those SG files have been updated, you can try editing the unit's GarminDevice.xml to show: "<Model><PartNumber>006-B1069-00</PartNumber><SoftwareVersion>250</SoftwareVersion>" instead of "<Model><PartNumber>006-B0870-00</PartNumber><SoftwareVersion>451</SoftwareVersion>" and then start WU without disconnecting the unit first, but i'm unsure if that'll work because updated files for Asian units are usually included with the updated unit solftware in a self-extracting *.exe file, e.g. nuvi765_SG_v250.exe contains not only the GUPDATE.GCD file but also the updated folders ExtData, Help, RemoteSW, Text and Voice along with a Locales.xml file. GE/WU however should offer any updates to Asian units between unit software updates issued as exe.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by Neil; 30th November 2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Update Hybrid pack.