Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Master

Question SD Card Maps on Garmin 260W

Hello everyone,

Here I've tried everything to make maps work on Gamin Nuvi 260W SD Card and no results. Latest firmware, and the SD Card is a new Samsung 64 GB.

I've created a 'Garmin' folder on it, maps were named as gmapprom1.img, gmapsupp.img. Tried to reduce SD Card partition size to below 8 GB. Changed file system from exFAT to FAT32...

Anyone could confirm if this unit supports recent SD Cards and what are the exact naming conventions required by this unit?

jg2t4

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert SD Card Maps on Garmin 260W
    SD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260W

Only two map files with names as gmapsupp.img and gmapsup1.img is available. Each map file must not exceed 4Gb size. Two map files (additional gmapsup1.img) work only on the latest 4.00 SW version.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Senior Member Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar

@Giomen: 4.10 added support for gmapsup1.img on the MicroSD. I was surprised when my 200W received the update, since it had been three years since 4.00.

@OP: The 64GB card may not work in the 260W. For best results, make sure the card is formatted as FAT32. I don't believe ExFAT is supported.
    Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 29th October 2014 at 04:10 AM.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    --Douglas Adams

Master

Tested with just one map, with and without GarminDevice.xml and gmaptz.img also... No results.

Mine is 4.10b, latest, double checked. SD is a Samsung SDXC 64 GB MB-SGCGB. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

While in the GPS, the card can be read/written by PC over USB normally. Diagnostics > Screen 'Data Card Test Page' gives Checksum: Fail and RW Test gives no results.

I'll try with a slower, smaller SD.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. SD Card Maps on Garmin 260W
    SD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260W

The size and write speed of the card should be of little consequence in theory. The format of the card [FAT or FAT32 only] and the size of the map image files their naming & placement is of great consequence [gmapsupp.img & gmapsup1.img only; img size under 4 Gibibyte (decimal Gigabyte); in Garmin root folder only]. The unit reads from the card but doesn't write to it in normal operation so the read speed isn't a concern. But that theory can go out the window with old Garmin units. My 710, 760, 765, 260W [hwid 0827] 255, 255W, 265W, 1xxx various and later will all use a Sandisk 64GB reformatted to FAT32, but my 260W [hwid 0737] will not.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

SD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260W

Quote Originally Posted by david.lynch View Post
    Mine is 4.10b, latest, double checked.
    Where do you see SW version? 4.10b (if is it a GPS module SW) is sound like you have gibrid 260W and 265W so you must have the latest SW 7.60.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Master

Unit is a 260W on back sticker.

Tools > Settings > System > About > Upper right shows GPS SW Version: 4.10b. Upper left shows nuvi 260W. Next line shows Software Version 7.60.

PartNumber is 006-B0827-00, so it seems to be a hwid 0827. With the mentioned card, it does not work.

Still to be solved...

If you create on SD new folder with name Garmin and add inside one map with name gmapsupp.img and other with gmapsup1.img, both map must be visable.

But look in name of two maps one have two pp and other only one p.

If you add name gmapsupp1.img garmin won't see this map, if you add name gmapsup1.img garmin will see this map.
    If you wish, you can [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. SD Card Maps on Garmin 260W
    SD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260WSD Card Maps on Garmin 260W

I can confirm what Loly's saying, as mentioned in Post #5 i have a 260W HWID 0827. However, mine has been flashed with the standard 2x5W logo to enable the Traffic feature but that should not have made any difference to it's ability to use a large SD card [if you want to make your 260W into a 265T or 465 truckies' nuvi see this thread]: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. SF's is a 250W HWID 0827 but conversion to 2x5W/465 will work the same for your 260W 0827 unit.

Do you have the same problem either using your reformatted 64GB card in another unit, and also have you tried a small [say 4 or 8 GB] card in the 260W with correct placement and naming of map files? If not please try.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Quote Originally Posted by david.lynch View Post
    and the SD Card is a new Samsung 64 GB
    Try change the card. At some time I had driven around the all town because no one can read a Samsung SD card with my VISA application for printing.