Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

City Nav About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellinas View Post
    I used MapUpdater to download Europe NTU 2015.10 & what i found is that i had an update for the DEM file also...
    Hello,

I am new to this forum.

I have also been victim to Garmin's complaincency and total lack of support and Knowledge of this update. FOr me, however, my DEM maps disappeared on the 2014.40 update. and have not returned, as I was assured they would, by Garmin, by updating to 2015.10.

I, am, however, lucky enough to have a complete out of the box, backup of my 3590LMT including the .sys file. And, Yes like you, I was able to identify that the gmapdem.img file on my backup was identical in size 310,392 kb to the the new D2249750A.img. We have identical twin satnavs.

I have been in deep discusion with Garmin Europe, who are completely unaware of this issue, Yeah right, and as long as the device is working theere is no issue and told them about my observation and my conclusions. They have now agreed to send me a new dem file, which is of no use, as it is not missing but renamed.

Anyway, from what I see on my 3590, in terms of graphics, the dem is working, just not visible in the my maps section. But you can still turn this feature on and off in the map settings by clicking on the 3d terrain option.

From what I understand of your post, it is a simple case of renaming the D2249750A.img, to gmapdem and back to normal. But, there is another img file similar to the D2249750A.img which is about 574kb which I think is also associated with the dem file, but, I dont know enough about this to.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

PS appolgies for this long winded first post.

2.    Advertissements

Important User About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.
    About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

@Grumpier
    Drag that file in Gmaptool main window, click on Details and see what is your "similar" .img

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Hello, thanks for quick reply. Used gmaptool, very nice. As expected, the gmapdem.img file on my backup is identical to the new D2249750A.img file after map update 2014.40 and 2015.10. The other file I mentioned appears to be differentand a re herring. I have to ask the question, why did garmin tech support here in the UK not have a clue about this issue, nor would they admit to any issues at all and their final solution was to send me the same dem file as my backed up copy and teh renamed file, to rectify an issue that they denied had happened. It is ,so rediculous that we, the end user, should be doing the diagnosis and prognosis, for this multi-million pound corporation.

Anyway, from what I can see, the 3d terrain works fine, the only difference now is, that the dem map is missing as an option, so you cant turn it off form this menu. So, why did this renaiming of the dem file happen? and is renaiming it back to gmapdem the right answer, as has already been suggested near the start of this thread?
    Last edited by Grumpier; 3rd July 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Important User About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.
    About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpier View Post
    Anyway, from what I can see, the 3d terrain works fine, the only difference now is, that the dem map is missing as an option, so you cant turn it off form this menu. So, why did this renaiming of the dem file happen? and is renaiming it back to gmapdem the right answer, as has already been suggested near the start of this thread?
    Some users had DEM map wiped from their devices with the City Navigators updates, so DEM map was added in updates lately.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    The issue has been fixed and Express downloads the DEM map too now.
    Probably Express doesn't rename the .img and it doesn't appear in Maps list if you don't rename it to gmapdem.img.
    GE is a buggy software, you never know what you get
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Unfortunately mapupdater isn't much better doesn't fare much better and I base this statement on the fact that the 2014.40 update was done through this software and was the start of the DEM map issue. But, from what I now know, the file itself was never touched, but just renamed. Anyone know why?

As for renaming it, does this not have any effect on any other software on the device? and when this is done, the DEM maps are visible in settings/my maps on the device, and I will be able to turn the DEM on and off as before? If however, there are any issues, will reverting it's name resolve any issues. I like to just be prepared. I like to anticipate what could be around the coner's corner's corner, nothing like being as prepared as possible.

Also, the DEM map does appear to all be working finne, just no user input option on the device to turn it off or on. Is this the case?or am I missing something.

How the hell did Garmin miss this?

On a positive note, the 3d buildings especially in London are pretty impressive.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

...... But, from what I now know, the file itself was never touched, but just renamed. Anyone know why?

As for renaming it, does this not have any effect on any other software on the device? and when this is done, the DEM maps are visible in settings/my maps on the device, and I will be able to turn the DEM on and off as before? If however, there are any issues, will reverting it's name resolve any issues. I like to just be prepared. I like to anticipate what could be around the coner's corner's corner, nothing like being as prepared as possible.

Also, the DEM map does appear to all be working finne, just no user input option on the device to turn it off or on. Is this the case?or am I missing something. ............
    The naming of EU DEM to D2249750A.IMG and it's placement in .System by GE [& MU?] is probably simply a mistake by Garmin. My guess is that it was intended for the map to either be renamed to gmapdem.img or it was intended for it to be placed in a Map folder named D2249750A.IMG. Either way, they simply cocked up [again]. The D2249750A.IMG naming is reflective of the map's product number D224975AG013 and was probably used by Garmin for their internal easy ID of the map.

If you have the DEM in .System it must be named gmapdem.img only. If in Map folder on unit or microSD it can be named '<any_name>'.img including D2249750A. The naming needs to be unique, but otherwise there is no effect of the unit's software.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean regarding the DEM being able to be turned off or on. If you mean [regardless of naming] can the individual EU DEM still be selected in MyMaps, yes it can. If you're talking about in Map Layers, yes all DEM [3D Terrain] can be disabled there. I couldn't find any such problem with a 3590 running the EU DEM still named D2249750A.IMG in Map folder on microSD. It both works and is checkable in Map Layers and MyMaps info in Settings>Map & Vehicle. I can't see why it would be any different named as gmapdem.img in the unit's .System folder. I have AU DEM there at present. One bug that's been around forever is that with 2 or more DEMs loaded, sometimes their info is confused in the map info and i saw that again with EU & AU DEMs loaded but they're still individually selectable/de-selectable..
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Unfortunately mapupdater isn't much better doesn't fare much better and I base this statement on the fact that the 2014.40 update was done through this software and was the start of the DEM map issue.
    I've never heard about problems with DEM map with 2014.40 update with Mapupdater.
    Problem arose with GE wiping DEM map updating 2015.10 CNA and probably updating any CN with that particular GE v.3.2.4.0 . It was a GE bug now fixed with GE new version, like said in the linked above Garmin forum thread.
    l9ebnsm

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The naming of EU DEM to D2249750A.IMG and it's placement in .System by GE [& MU?] is probably simply a mistake by Garmin. My guess is that it was intended for the map to either be renamed to gmapdem.img or it was intended for it to be placed in a Map folder named D2249750A.IMG. Either way, they simply cocked up [again]. The D2249750A.IMG naming is reflective of the map's product number D224975AG013 and was probably used by Garmin for their internal easy ID of the map.

If you have the DEM in .System it must be named gmapdem.img only. If in Map folder on unit or microSD it can be named '<any_name>'.img including D2249750A. The naming needs to be unique, but otherwise there is no effect of the unit's software.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean regarding the DEM being able to be turned off or on. If you mean [regardless of naming] can the individual EU DEM still be selected in MyMaps, yes it can. If you're talking about in Map Layers, yes all DEM [3D Terrain] can be disabled there. I couldn't find any such problem with a 3590 running the EU DEM still named D2249750A.IMG in Map folder on microSD. It both works and is checkable in Map Layers and MyMaps info in Settings>Map & Vehicle. I can't see why it would be any different named as gmapdem.img in the unit's .System folder. I have AU DEM there at present. One bug that's been around forever is that with 2 or more DEMs loaded, sometimes their info is confused in the map info and i saw that again with EU & AU DEMs loaded but they're still individually selectable/de-selectable..
    Hello,

in Settings/maps & vehicles/my maps, there were three maps the 1. CN Europe NTU 2014.30 All 2. CN Europe NTU 2014.30 3D 3. The DEM map and an option on each to tick on or off. But, when I updated to CN Europe NTU 2014.40, using map update, the DEM map was no longer in this menu selection. But, in settings/map & vehicle/map layers, there is the option to tick on/off for 3D terrain, which I am assuming to be the DEM map. Please correct this assumption if wrong. The layer option in map view also works. So, from this I have deduced that, the renaming of the gmapdem.iimg to D2249750A.IMG, really only affects its listing in Settings/maps & vehicles/my maps.

After speaking with Garmin Europe, who are clueless, they assured me that if I update to 2015.10, all will be as was with the DEM. What they failed to understand was, that unless the now the downloader manually changed the D2249750A.IMG, nothing will change. Which I did and nothing has changed, except the I now have 2015.10. This issue is not just, as appears,
    unique to the america maps.

Therefore, if I now rename the D2249750A.IMG to gmapdem.img, it should only cause the DEM map option to reappear in Settings/maps & vehicles/my maps, again this is only an aussumption. As I will be going away shortly I do not want to play with it until I return.

Like your setup, my maps are on sd card. And what a lovely green bar of used space on hte device.

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Grumpier; 5th July 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About gmapdem.img file Express updated in Nuvi with 2015.10 EU release.

My experience quoted was with the EU DEM in Map folder on microSD named D2249750A.IMG and of course it works [and will work even if named Mickey_Mouse.img for that matter] being as it's in the Map folder. As I said, it was selectable/de-selectable individually in the MyMaps menu and the overriding DEM disabling in Map Layers. 'Map Layers' is the same whether reached via Settings>Map & Vehicle>Map Layers or by pressing the 'layers' symbol on the secondary map page.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

It looks like the same is similar if the D2249750A.IMG is on the devicve in the .sys folder, except it does not show up in the my maps. Just means less clutter on the device I suppose. It just baffles me why the terrain mapping needs to be accessible form three dirrefernt locations; my maps,map layers and the map layer shortcut itself on the actual map.

I dont have the file D2249750A.IMG on the sd card, but I not bothered as it all works. It would be nice if Garmin uk tech support learned and understood how their own products work. These guys really dont have a clue. Garmin in America were aware and sorted it, according to some other forums where this issu was discussed.

I will play with this file when I return from my trip.
    Last edited by Grumpier; 6th July 2014 at 08:29 AM.