Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

I promise that flashing GarminCure3-ed firmware without boot.bin (fw_all.bin only) won't make your device feel worse.
    Please, try it.

2.    Advertissements

Perfect! Its now working with CURE and mounting the drive. Any thoughts on which file might be the problem one? Or do you suggest wiping it and starting over?

Well, this was unexpected
    I thought that your flash chip is broken and it can't flash other firmwares except the one that was flashed before it broke (some flash blocks are "frozen" with some bytes forever; writing differing bytes causes an error). I've seen this before. And your situation looks very similar. So I was going to confirm that.
    But now it looks like something different. boot.bin can't flash firmwares, but bootloader can do it. Wow.

Now you can try following the GarminCure3 tutorial and format the drive with RMPREPUSB. But make a backup first.

That's roughly what I was thinking you were going to say. That it couldn't fit the firmware into the space it had.

Not sure why this was different, but it was. I just finished backing up, reformatting and then reinstalling everything with the Garmin Express tool. So I'm live again thanks to all the help from here!

So does it boot normally now? Don't celebrate too early.

Yes. Just like new!

Well, congratulations then
    Your case was remarkable for me. I've learned something new and I will use this info for curing in the future.
    Last edited by kunix; 4th June 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Nuvi 265WT bricked
    Nuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT bricked

A most pleasing albeit unexpected result. Well done kunix for the insight, and pgardella for following his advices so trustingly and precisely. Another trick worth trying before 'end-game'....

In summary kunix, is this understanding correct?: His unit couldn't flash fw_all.bin using the boot.bin in full firmware, but following successfully flashing boot.bin solely a copy of bootloader was properly retained, which in turn was found to flash fw_all.bin alone.

Thread marked as Solved. WOW indeed.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Important User Nuvi 265WT bricked
    Nuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT brickedNuvi 265WT bricked

@kunix
    Wondering how many nuvis have you helped to unbrick with your advices and your cure.
    We are pretty proud to have you here posting,
    as usual, many thanks.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    In summary kunix, is this understanding correct?: His unit couldn't flash fw_all.bin using the boot.bin in full firmware, but following successfully flashing boot.bin solely a copy of bootloader was properly retained, which in turn was found to flash fw_all.bin alone.
    I think bootloader was correct all the time and the issue was caused by the difference in flash writing algorithms in boot.bin (ramloader) and bootloader. And somewhat degraded flash chip, of course.
    So, boot.bin's flash writing algo was failing somewhere.
    But bootloader's algo did the job.