Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Guide How to unbrick a nüvi - step by step guide

Over the last few months, I have unbricked several nüvi's. The information "how to" is available on this forum, but I found tutorials for the various steps to be scattered over various posts and threads. Therefore I have combined all steps required to unbrick a nüvi in one comprehensive and easy to follow step-by-step tutorial, including screenshots using [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. The tutorial shows the unbricking of a nüvi 1390, but is similarly applicable to other models not only nuvi series. Good luck!

This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button and hit F5 to read this content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by catymag; 27th February 2015 at 02:50 PM.

2.    Advertissements

GPSPower Helper

PDF Download

All Credits to SMOKEFREE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.
    Last edited by Neil; 16th September 2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Corrected typo in converted pdf file as requested by OP.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

Should anyone be interested: The procedure has been tried and worked flawlessy on an eTrex 30 as well!

Thanx guys, this saved me having to wait for Garmin support.

this worked perfectly to fix my bricked Garmin Nuvi 1490T. I just needed to find the firmware *.gcd for the nuvi (which is still available out on the net, but hidden on Garmin website), and the various other tools.

Firmware -- nuvi13xxand14xxseries_GCDFile__620.gcd

Applications --

Garmin Web updater
    Garmin Express
    GarminCure3.exe
    RMPrepUSB
    Updater.exe

It all just worked when I did the exact instruction on the first message of this thread. This needs to be passed along to more folks, as am sure a lot of Garmin GPS are being tossed in the trash.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadnow View Post
    this worked perfectly to fix my bricked Garmin Nuvi 1490T. I just needed to find the firmware *.gcd for the nuvi (which is still available out on the net, but hidden on Garmin website), and the various other tools.

Firmware -- nuvi13xxand14xxseries_GCDFile__620.gcd
    G'day offroadnow, welcome to GPSPower. I hate to correct your first post, but V6.20 for both MTK & non-MTK chip models are here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and also still available direct from Garmin:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    To find the actual firmware *.gcd file, right-click on the Garmin software update page and select 'View Page Source' or 'View Source' [varies with browser]. See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [look for 'One way to get the link/location to an updated region files (on units you own) is to:'], or just follow this:

WU Download

and you can also get the current .gcd file by taking a copy of your GarminDevice.xml from a backup if your unit's bricked, then similarly changing the version to one below the current and placing the .xml in a Garmin folder on a USB stick before connecting to WU which will download the gupdate.gcd file into a .System folder it creates on your 'fake' 1490.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Just found it all interesting that garmin wants $120 to fix something a tech savy user can do with these software instructions above. The used unit is going for $30 to $50 on ebay; so just don't understand why anyone would go to Garmin for a repair.

Also found a company that will repair the broken USB for $45
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    so that issue can be solved on these units.

Am using this unit on my motorcycle with a RAM mount. No fears of dropping it, as its not that expensive. RAM mount works well.
    Last edited by offroadnow; 15th July 2015 at 01:31 PM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Re-flowing of the 'cracked' usb solder connections is easily done with a re-flow kit and a little finesse. The reason ppl go to garmin for fixes is because they don't know any better and we can't blame them for that. 45 smackers for a usb fix is fine for anyone who isn't technically competent so thx for posting that, might save a lot of headaches for many US based users.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

hello to all
    i have a 1310 nuvi stopt in garmin logo.i tried all..tok the batery off..nothing..follow thi first page tutorial but cant conect with usb to the laptop when i hit the updater.exe
    help

Important User

Read with care Updater.exe thread.
    You must drag the rgn in Updater and select Usb before pressing and holding with your finger on display.
    You have to put the rgn and Updater.exe in the same directory.... but read the thread.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    sent with my phone
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

i just did it
    thanks
    1 question...beter that i buck up and a good format?