Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)

Hello there, first post here this forum is simply awesome, so many nice contributions :D

I have iGO Primo (9.6.29.390522) and it works a treat, however, there's no way I can get TTS working. I see that there's an English UK TTS (Nuance) but I couldn't find an English US version, Ivona won't show up and I wound not like to use it because it has bugs that drains the phone battery (keeps mediaserver awake, reduced batt life in 80%) I would like to either use a decent alternative or even better, the android's default TTS, as it's quite good quality after you download the high quality voice (only available for EN-US, 300MB download). In fact I consider the default HQ TTS voice even better than Ivona.

I read somewhere that you should edit the info file in the voice zip archive and change the tts_langname and tts_engine but I don't have a base file to do that and I tried doing that on the non-TTS file I have here (Voice_Eng-us-f1-lua.zip) and iGO refuses to run.

Any help getting decent TTS voices for English US?

Thank you in advance.

2.    Advertissements

Quote Originally Posted by Szabo View Post
    Hello there, first post here this forum is simply awesome, so many nice contributions :D

I have iGO Primo (9.6.29.390522) and it works a treat, however, there's no way I can get TTS working. I see that there's an English UK TTS (Nuance) but I couldn't find an English US version
    Thank you in advance.
    You can use the attached.
    The 'language' (US/UK, Whatever) makes no difference..Igo Android still uses whatever TTS language and voice is installed on the device..the voice zip is only needed as a template. However, to avoid conflicts with translation, etc, the language of the Android TTS voice should be the same language as the <TTSvoice>.zip file placed within iGo. An exception might be US vs GB vs AU English...they are all pretty much compatible.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    -------------------------------------
    Version without rude language (Family Friendly):
    -------------------------------------

PS. Having tested just about all Android TTS engines/voices (both free and not so much), I have settled on Nuance Vocalizer Premium for a balance of voice quality and resource usage. I just think it sounds the best, but that's just my opinion, of course. If you want it, you may have to search a bit...I don't remember where exactly I got the engine or voices, but it was not from Google Play.
    Last edited by Mike Hunt; 21st May 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Thank you Mike.

I'll try it asap and report back the results .

I really like the default android TTS with the HQ voice (the standard voice is very bad).

Edit:

Nope... it doesn't work (doesn't show up).
    Last edited by Boki; 5th January 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Szabo View Post
    Nope....
    1) Make sure you do not have any TTS folders/files under "Igo/*.*" that may have been leftovers from a WinCE setup/install.
    2) What exactly is in your Content/Voice folder? Try eliminating all but one Natural and the TTS zip file.
    3) Do you have your Android TTS set to be the default for all programs in Settings (if that setting is there)?
    4) Have you tested the Android TTS in another program (Translate, Assistant or other) to make sure it works?

If all of the above checks out, on your PC, open the voice.zip with WinRar or similar, then open info.ini with notepad and remove these two lines:
    tts_langname="eng"
    tts_engine="Android TTS"

(some Android Igo versions require them, some do not)
    Then save info.ini, update the zip archive, copy the new file to your Igo/content/voice file on your device (delete previous version if it's still there), and try again.
    Last edited by Mike Hunt; 13th May 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Important User Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)
    Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt View Post
    1) Make sure you do not have any TTS folders/files under "Igo/*.*" that may have been leftovers from a WinCE setup/install.
    2) What exactly is in your Content/Voice folder? Try eliminating all but one Natural and the TTS zip file.
    3) Do you have your Android TTS set to be the default for all programs in Settings (if that setting is there)?
    4) Have you tested the Android TTS in another program (Translate, Assistant or other) to make sure it works?
    Your voice file works flawlessly, well almost. I have to remove adult vocab from "You are speeding. Slow the f*ck down!" since I have kids in car. LOL! Also 'Belt' should not mean 'Beltway', there is a street here that start with Belt. And "You can increase your speed. Up to," had to changed to "You can increase your speed."

Quote Originally Posted by osiris4isis View Post
    Your voice file works flawlessly, well almost. I have to remove adult vocab from "You are speeding. Slow the f*ck down!"
    Yeah..oops sorry. Should have uploaded the 'generic' version instead. Oh well, editing fun for all!
    Some of the phrases in i18n/dictionary.voice (such as the speed Up To thing) are specifically for the DimKaWA skin and may act differently or not at all without it.

Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)Help Getting English (US) TTS for iGO Primo (9.6.29)

Yeah..oops sorry. Should have uploaded the 'generic' version instead. Oh well, editing fun for all!
    Some of the phrases in i18n/dictionary.voice (such as the speed Up To thing) are specifically for the DimKaWA skin and may act differently or not at all without it.
    Cool, got dimkaW working with correct speed increase announcement.
    Last edited by osiris4isis; 13th May 2014 at 07:16 AM.

can someone help me install TTS ENG US on SGS3 android 4.3?

I tried so many things following (crappy broken english) instructions (and links) in the voice thread.
    now tts engine in phone works, i have british voices installed but in IGO menu i see only zervdim listed US voices.

it looks like i need US voices zip files. link please?

Quote Originally Posted by wasteislan View Post
    can someone help me install TTS ENG US on SGS3 android 4.3?
    it looks like i need US voices zip files. link please?
    See here:

PS. Having tested just about all Android TTS engines/voices (both free and not so much), I have settled on Nuance Vocalizer Premium for a balance of voice quality and resource usage. I just think it sounds the best, but that's just my opinion, of course. If you want it, you may have to search a bit...I don't remember where exactly I got the engine or voices, but it was not from Google Play.
    Where can I get Nuance Vocalizer Premium? I know Nuance sounds better on WinCE, but Loquendo sounds pretty good on Android. I would like to try Nuance on Android to see if it's better. Thanks!