Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Some screws are badly over-torqued in my experience and I've often had to exert considerable downwards pressure while simultaneously tuning. All 1xxx screws heads are T5 as far as i know, however I've also seen some screw heads that were quite burred, almost stripped, by previous attempts [not me] requiring replacement afterwards. Maybe it's been got at before, as it's unlikely the screws have been replaced with those of a different head ....?

EDIT: Dasil beat me by ... that ... much [a poofteenth]. So, what he said too.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2.    Advertissements

Quote Originally Posted by dasilvarsa View Post
    Maybe previous owner damaged torx screws or maybe your torx is "fongkong" there is no in-between size.
    If your torx is rounded on the end you can file it down a bit.
    Use magnifier to check, you can buy high quality torx bits from professional tool shop.
    My torx screwdriver still fits perfectly in the LM 1440 screws, but slips in the non-LM 1440 screws. So Neil's assumption someone else may have had a go at it before me is a likely scenario. Will have to try other means.

Today successfully swapped screens between the two nüvi's 1440. The backlight issue stayed with the same screen. In time I may replace that one, although the brightness only fluctuates the first 5 to 10 minutes while the screen "warms up".

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts with me in this thread.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Yep, a dry joint somewhere in the screen itself. Maybe will eventually fail completely but at least you've got it on the non-LM now.

Thread marked 'Solved'.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].