Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    voyager56

Default "Watermarking" maps

Is it possible to "watermark" maps during download from distributors home page and how it can be done?
    As far as I know the only way for "watermarking" is date and time included in map file. In this case date and time are different for each download and can be used as watermark.
    Theoretically it's also possible to include some "watermark" polygons in each download. But this is more complicated than date and time.

2.    Advertissements

Master

I know a local developer who was thinking that by adding a watermark to his mapping he could stop spreading the image file in internet. I don't know how and what. Never been interested. I think the topic and the idea is simmilar - adding a watermark then if the customer releases the personalised image he can very easily be found and sanctions be tooken e.g. cut from map updates.

He succedded in way - the mapping is not spread in internet or...very very occasionally. But this doesn't help him won the battle - more customers. On the opposite.

Navigation software expert "Watermarking" maps
    "Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps

Quote Originally Posted by voyager56 View Post
    Is it possible to "watermark" maps during download from distributors home page and how it can be done?
    As far as I know the only way for "watermarking" is date and time included in map file. In this case date and time are different for each download and can be used as watermark.
    Theoretically it's also possible to include some "watermark" polygons in each download. But this is more complicated than date and time.
    Insert your copyright in map it is work on all resource almost. I do not have any problem with my map after dialogs with site owner...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

voyager56

Giomen
    ddabcd277

I'm asking about watermarks, because I'm wondering how to identify watermarks and how to remove them.

Russia, somewhere among the Southern Ural mountains

voyager56
    I certainly understand that you are interested in the possibility watermarking on the map, but please answer, why they are necessary on the card? It will protect from illegal distribution and using?

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

voyager56, just download two maps and compare them in HEX-editor and fill the differing bytes with some garbage. Most probably the watermarking algorithm is primitive and this will work.
    However, with some advanced algorithms they can detect you even if you've compared 2,3 or even N watermarked maps.
    But I really don't think those guys are THAT sophisticated. That's just impractical.
    Last edited by kunix; 9th March 2014 at 08:53 AM.

voyager56

Quote Originally Posted by pitruchio View Post
    voyager56
    I certainly understand that you are interested in the possibility watermarking on the map, but please answer, why they are necessary on the card? It will protect from illegal distribution and using?
    Watermarking is used to identify who leaked the map or other product. Each client receives a map with different watermarks. This allows identify leaked map owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kunix View Post
    voyager56, just download two maps and compare them in HEX-editor and fill the differing bytes with some garbage. Most probably the watermarking algorithm is primitive and this will work.
    However, with some advanced algorithms they can detect you even if you've compared 2,3 or even N watermarked maps.
    But I really don't think those guys are THAT sophisticated. That's just impractical.
    I know about hex comparison, but I do not have maps to compare. Somebody shared a map and that person told me that map is watermarked. I want to share this map with noeman's community. So I have to remove watermark. The map was downloaded from some local Garmin distributors site. In this case I think watermark is inserted on the fly.
    You pay money and just after that you download the map.

Important User "Watermarking" maps
    "Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps"Watermarking" maps

Quote Originally Posted by voyager56 View Post
    Watermarking is used to identify who leaked the map or other product. Each client receives a map with different watermarks. This allows identify leaked map owner.

I know about hex comparison, but I do not have maps to compare. Somebody shared a map and that person told me that map is watermarked. I want to share this map with noeman's community. So I have to remove watermark. The map was downloaded from some local Garmin distributors site. In this case I think watermark is inserted on the fly.
    You pay money and just after that you download the map.
    Send me a link by pm so we can look at this watermark
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Anyone removed successfully the cgps mapper watermark?

Quote Originally Posted by masterbark View Post
    Anyone removed successfully the cgps mapper watermark?
    there is a small program for this:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • This post requires you to click the "LIKE this post" button to see Attachments.