Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default nüvi 3x0 SD & Map Size Limits

Quote Originally Posted by quebec001 View Post
    City North America NT 2014.40 full = ~2.11gig and without Mexico =~1.84gig fit on SD 2gig
    Beware! Theoretically *), a 2 GB SD card with have space for 1.86 GB worth of data. In practise, a 2 GB SD card will only have around 1.83 GB of space available for data. See screen shot below:

lqzh . vxpu

*) 1 GiB = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 bytes, whereas 1 GB = 10^9 = 1,000,000,000 bytes
    Therefore a 2 GB SD card provides 2*(10^9/2^20) = 1.86 GB of storage space (and in practise, as mentioned, often even less).
    As a result, the 1.84 GB USA & CA map may not fit on a 2 GB SD card.
    For more detailed explanation, see here:

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Last edited by smokefree; 25th January 2014 at 07:47 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    Beware! Theoretically *), a 2 GB SD card with have space for 1.86 GB worth of data. In practise, a 2 GB SD card will only have around 1.83 GB of space available for data. See screen shot below:

lqzh . vxpu

*) 1 GiB = 2^30 = 1,073,741,824 bytes, whereas 1 GB = 10^9 = 1,000,000,000 bytes
    Therefore a 2 GB SD card provides 2*(10^9/2^20) = 1.86 GB of storage space (and in practise, as mentioned, often even less).
    As a result, the 1.84 GB USA & CA map may not fit on a 2 GB SD card.
    For more detailed explanation, see here:

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    sorry but my kit work well in 2gig SD, check my post, i dont have problement with map without Mexico o0n 2gig SD, the bug is with full maps 2.11gig on bigger SD, i'll download actualy the Bam Bam's kit IMG for one other test
    Last edited by quebec001; 25th January 2014 at 07:54 PM.

sorry but my kit work well in 2gig SD, check my post, i dont have problement with map without Mexico o0n 2gig SD, the bug is with full maps 2.11gig on bigger SD, i'll download actualy the Bam Bam's kit IMG for one other test
    You never mention which Garmin device you're testing/trying/running with the full NA IMG on a SDcard >2GB. There are certain Garmin devices that won't work with SDcard larger than 2GB. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by tli View Post
    There are certain Garmin devices that won't work with SDcard larger than 2GB. FYI.
    Some of these units include StreetPilot c3xx, StreetPilot i2 / i3, StreetPilot 72xx, StreetPilot 75xx and some Kenwood models.
    There are also units that need updated firmware to be able to work with SDHC cards (cards > 2 GB), like zūmo 4xx and zūmo 5xx.

Then there are also units that do not recognise map files larger than 2 GB.
    Some of these units include nüvi 3xx, nüvi 6xx, nüvi 5000 and StreetPilot c5xx.
    Last edited by smokefree; 26th January 2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Changed 'StreetPilot 5xx' to 'StreetPilot c5xx'

for Tli you dont read well my thread, or my english is too poor (i speak french)----» i make 4 tests,

1. on 2gig SD for without mexico via mapsource «-----working well for search adress
    2. on 8gig SD for full via mapsource search adress not working
    3. on 8gig SD with map without mexico «----workin well for search adress so its for "smokefree" with 8gig SD smalest map same without mexico, working well, normaly i prefer 4gig SD card, actualy i dont have for test
    4. on 8gig SD with Mapinstall.exe full size map, same problem for search adress tool

my next test is with BamBam's version IMG, i am in download actualy

For smokefree, ill check if i have new firmware for my nuvi360
    For capebreton, yes its smell bad unlock, i'll working for, so same if my mapsource kit is not well unlocked, i finished my IMG on my SD card with gimgunlock.exe, its ok for without mexico and not well for full map
    Last edited by quebec001; 30th January 2014 at 01:31 AM.

@quebec001, I understood your previous posts. I think smokefree provided the answer in post #26. The nuvi350 cannot work with img files larger than 2GB if I read that correctly.

For smokefree, ill check if i have new firmware for my nuvi350
    If it's a nüvi 350 you have: it can recognize SDHC cards but is not capable of recognizing map files larger than 2 GB, regardless of firmware version. That explains why only the smaller map works on your unit, not the full map.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

This discussion is as much to do with the smaller .IMG file size limit of 2,147,483,647 Bytes [2GiB minus 1 Byte] required by some older Garmin units and GMXT, and then it's moot if you can simply put the <2GiB image on a 4GB card as is pointed out in the above posts for only those units capable of reading FAT32. The confusion over the decimal Gigibyte [GB] and the binary Gibibyte [GiB] is never-ending and can unfortunately be further perpetuated by use of non-standard abbreviations such as 'gig' [not a criticism, i do it too at times but avoid it in sensitive situations such as these discussion].

When Windows reports in 'GB' as in the pics above, it's actually sticking with the original binary convention of 2 to the power of 30 i.e. 1,073,741,824 bytes for a Gigabyte, which is historically correct but is now not the interpretation thrust upon us some time back by the sneaky drive manufacturers who decided to measure storage space in decimal i.e. 1,000,000,000 for a Gigabyte which is 10 to the power of 9. Of course, that all started back in the '90s when were were measuring flash drives and SD cards only in Megabytes [1MB is 1,048,576 bytes in binary base of 2^20 and of course it's 1,000,000 bytes in decimal base of 10^6 so the difference is relatively small, >5%], but now when we measure hard drives in Terabytes and 1TiB is 1,099,511,627,776 and in decimal TB it's only 1,000,000,000,000 bytes we're looking at ~10%. Soon we'll be measuring our home PC HDD in Petabytes [or Pebibytes if you like] and the difference between binary and decimal is then profound. Don't even try to think about Exabytes.

How did this get handled by the the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)? Over 15 years ago in December 1998 they decided to 'standardize' the terminology by making KB/MB/GB/TB etc decimal and KiB/MiB/GiB/TiB etc binary. Unfortunately Microsoft didn't see it that way so confusion has reigned ever since because to M$ when you talk computers everything is binary.....

Let's just try to use the 'correct' abbreviations: GB for Gigabyte, GiB for Gibibyte and not use GB when we mean GiB like M$ does, and resist any usage such as 'gig' please.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I don't know if this might be a workaround since I've never tried, but one can try to split the full mapset into two files with each no larger than 2GB: gmapprom.img and gmapsupp.img

You might give this a try...

Quote Originally Posted by smokefree View Post
    If it's a nüvi 360 you have: it can recognize SDHC cards but is not capable of recognizing map files larger than 2 GB, regardless of firmware version. That explains why only the smaller map works on your unit, not the full map.
    Is not true, because some forum and garmin said, with old serie gps, -----» not working with SDHC more 2gig, is not true.

I already made test via mapsource and garmin topo map of canada with about 4gig of the nuvi 360 and has worked wonderfully! on a SDHC 4gig

I've combined europe and north america in one gmapsupp.img on a SDHC 4gig
    the big problem, I think I'm poorly installed or unlocked, I'll make test

P.S. no new update firmware for my gps !

if is because more 2gig is problem, why 3gig topo maps workk well ?diff betwin topo and city map ?
    and is not my install and not my unlock because the bam bam IMG maps have the same problem , map is not locked, but search address mode not work !

Quote Originally Posted by tli View Post
    I don't know if this might be a workaround since I've never tried, but one can try to split the full mapset into two files with each no larger than 2GB: gmapprom.img and gmapsupp.img

You might give this a try...

I will perhaps again later test, its a good idea for one test

i confirm, on streetpilot c530 not search address working and in my nuvi 360
    Last edited by quebec001; 30th January 2014 at 01:32 AM.