Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Master

Default Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration

Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration
    If you are currently looking at buying or selling your Garmin GPS unit please be aware of ownership/registration issues with Garmin. If the current owner has registered his GPS with Garmin then the new owner will have restrictions on upgrades until the registration has been changed. Once a unit is registered with Garmin it is associated with the owner. That owner can then upgrade the internal firmware and the maps whenever he likes. If he then sells the unit the new owner will not be able to do those upgrades until the registration with Garmin has been changed to the new owner. This is particularly important for those units that are supplied with the Map Source software. If the last owner has unlocked the software that means it has been registered with Garmin. The new owner can load the software but can not unlock it even with the unlock code because it is tied to a particular Garmin account of the last owner. Now, if none of this is important then you can use the GPS unit as your received it and it will get you from place to place just fine.

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    eBay Guides - Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration
    Last edited by Roger; 5th March 2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: coded link

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration
    Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration

The information posted is quite old, several years old in fact. When was the last time you bought a Garmin device with MapSource software and an unlock code printed on a piece of yellow paper?

Maybe it varies in other parts of the world, but in AU it's now only a temporary problem if you wish to register the unit with Garmin and it's still registered to someone else's account. If you don't care about registration, you can update everything normally including LM, without question. If you do wish to register in your name, open an account and Garmin will assist by trying to contact the previous owner. If unsuccessful in contacting him/her, or if they don't respond then Garmin will register it to you anyway.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Navigation software expert Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration
    Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration

Registration to new owner is no problem.
    But any Lifetime Update for maps is tied to the previous owner and cannot be transferred.
    That's Garmin policy.

GPSPower Helper Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration
    Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration

So The Moral of the story Is.
    If the LM is working for you don't try to register the unit.
    The LM is worth a lot more than having the unit registered to you.
    GarminMapUpdater does not need a login to update the Maps.
    I wonder what would happen if the previous owner were to de-register the unit, Would LM still work ?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.

Buying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registrationBuying Used Garmin GPS Units- Transfer of registration

Quote Originally Posted by tom1807 View Post
    But any Lifetime Update for maps is tied to the previous owner and cannot be transferred.
    That's Garmin policy.
    As I said, maybe it varies in other parts of the world and i know Garmin's 'official' policy is that LM subs cannot be transferred between owners. The last sentence in 'Terms and Limitations' under the 'Requirements' tab is 'Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.'
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    but it's either different or not enforced here in Oz. I bought a 3790LMT recently with the old Sensis/WhereIs lifetime maps. The seller removed the registration from his account and i was able to register it and do a map update, no problems. I even did the update with GE (which i hate btw GE = Garmin Express, or i prefer Gestapo Experience) because i wanted to try out a later version. Garmin will happily tell you here that it can be transferred that way.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I've purchased new in the past but this time I wanted at least some of the most recent features so I went with a refurbished 2597LMT for $160. It works great, looks new and has a 1 year warranty. I called Garmin before I bought it because it was from "Factory Outlet Store" and I had read some complaints about them although there were many good reviews too. So they said it was covered for a year. I don't miss the glass or the HD Traffic but I would've liked that magnetic mount. Anyway, happy with it. The thing with used is there's little or no warranty.

Senior Member Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar

Going refurbished is better than going used. You get everything you would have gotten if you had bought new, except for the packaging, which is often a white box. With used, you have to deal with getting a hold of the original owner, asking him to unregister his device so you can reregister it, plus you risk defective components with no warranty to cover it.

Was this refurbished by Garmin?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    --Douglas Adams

There seems to be quite a bit of 'folk-law' regarding registration, de-registration and re-registration of Garmin units particularly in regard to LM. Regardless of the Garmin account holding the registration, if you have bought a second-hand unit from it's legitimate owner you may continue to update it, Lifetime map update included, without problem.

I have an NA 1450LMT [US&CA] bought from a retired couple who obtained it in LA for tripping around the States. A friend of theirs had opened a Garmin account for them and registered it. They gave me the account login details because they didn't want the account anyway. However I wasn't able to get the correct password so the unit remained registered to that account. I asked them to contact Garmin but nothing happened for almost a year when the account was finally closed by their friend in the States. I had no problem updating the maps using both GarminExpress and MapUpdater during that time anyway.

There will only be a hitch if you try to register it in your Garmin account without the previous owner de-registering it. If actual registration matters to you, ask the previous owner to remove it from his Garmin account and then you can register it. If you've bought a stolen unit you'll definitely have a problem if the rightful owner has reported the theft of their registered unit to Garmin. The map update with be refused: 'No map updates are available for this product. Please contact Garmin support' or some similar message with be given. I'm not sure of Garmin's 'further action' policy if somebody tries to register a stolen unit on their Garmin account. Perhaps it varies depending on the Country, perhaps they do nothing, but maybe they'll quietly pass over to your local police the account info connected to the unsuccessful registration attempt. Of course then if the unit is recovered it will be returned to it's lawful owner without compensation to you. Worse, if you can't prove that you bought it in good faith and are able to show supporting documentation you may be charged with stealing or conversion/receiving stolen property. Best not to buy one 'off the back of a truck'/'in the pub' from an untraceable anonymous seller. Buying from eBay using PayPal gives you some protection at least. I can't say for elsewhere, but here licensed 2nd hand dealers must guarantee the title of the goods they sell so buying from them is relatively safe. The smart and honest ones will check for any current registration before buying/pawning a Garmin. I've personally known of one instance where the dealer had registered the unit but then forgot to remove it from their Garmin account after the sale. Copious 'sorry sorry sorry' resulted and the unit removed post-haste.

Garmin here will even actively assist you by attempting to contact the previous owner [if it's registered already] regardless of their stated policy of LM subs not being transferable as i said in Post #3. It would be interesting to hear what users have experienced elsewhere in the world as to if and how Garmin's local policies and procedures differ.

Yes. Came in a white/blue box with the Garmin name. I think it was sealed but don't remember. I'm not sure I made myself clear before but it was Garmin that said they would honor the 1-year warranty. I was nervous about that because when I asked Factory Outlet Store about it, this is while it was on its way to me, they said if Garmin doesn't honor it, then they will. When I purchased it, I assumed they were the factory outlet for Garmin but they're not. Just looked that way to me I guess. Anyway, it all has worked out so far. In fact, I'm amazed by this device. It's understood almost all addresses and places but no matter how I say it, it refuses to recognize "Emory University". It gets just the University part. And that True Voice, have you heard Matilda from Australia? It's such a resonant, sultry, life-like voice, if you close your eyes, you can almost see her sitting next to you. I don't think I want to hear the others

i read your posts. Some time ago I bought a used device from an unknown person from an internet advertiser, there was not much data on the device told me that it does not know, that of course not much. My question is can I check for an update without any consequences, ie my device is blocked?