Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Master

After browsing through the most relevant threads I could find ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]), I see that I do indeed require the assistance of forum experts such as kunix and catymag.

I certainly wish I found this forum early enough to make a backup of my NV, but alas I had no need for any such measures while the GPS was functional. Mend your roof before it rains, as the saying goes.

Incidentally, ASR & BT seem to be fully functional.

I actually used the GPS earlier in the day, so thanks again for everyone who's contributed to the thread. A forum donation is forthcoming.

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes
    Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    These symptoms are all related to erasing rgn41. That's quite different to clearing nonvol. Region 41 contains your unit's registration and unlock codes and other info which is no longer written in there so your legitimate maps cannot be reinstalled by GE/MU.
    Don't know what is with GE but with map updater you can update map after erase reg 41
    If you wish, you can [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Important User Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes
    Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

Quote Originally Posted by lolypop000 View Post
    Don't know what is with GE but with map updater you can update map after erase reg 41
    No unit ID no .gma and .unl , how it can be updated ? You can edit garmindevice.xml perhaps.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

Till now always when erase reg 41 i can update maps over mapupdater and nuvi ID always was there, only model number desapire.
    I go to my garmin and there is nuvi recognized and i can download map and that map is unlocked when is downloaded.

VIP Master

I used Mapupdater v3.2.2. It re-downloaded all the map content (it uses a different download directory than Garmin Express), but refused to install to the device, giving me the same error message as Express.

Kunix has graciously helped me restore my model # to 2460, and I was able to install the complete map set via Express.

The levels of helpfulness & expertise on this forum are truly astounding. I have learned a great deal about Garmin GPSs over the last 2 days.

I do have 2 questions, answers to which I think would be extremely helpful to people encountering similar issues:
    Is it possible to clear NV memory in a non-bootable device without erasing the entire rgn41?
    My current GarminDevice.xml (and hence, I'm assuming, rgn41) is missing the RegistrationCode and the Unlock Codes present in my original one. I seem to be able to install maps my device is subscribed to without an issue. Are there any ramifications to the missing information, and is there a way to re-populate the NV with it?

Till now we didn't find solution to re-populate NV.
    When anybody buy new nuvi two things that must do is:

1.) Complet backup of internal storage of device
    2.) Backup of region 41.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes
    Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixesNuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    These symptoms are all related to erasing rgn41. That's quite different to clearing nonvol. Region 41 contains your unit's registration and unlock codes and other info which is no longer written in there so your legitimate maps cannot be reinstalled by GE/MU.
    I haven't been able to replicate that with MU using a nuvi with 41 erased. I get the same message with both GE and MU as gpscurious stated:
    "The update is unable to determine where the specified map file should be written. Please contact Garmin customer support: http://www.garmin.com/contactsupport".

Loly are you doing something to enable MU to install/reinstall LM maps? The map img download is not the problem, both programs for me simply baulk on transferring them onto the device.

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    No unit ID no .gma and .unl , how it can be updated ? You can edit garmindevice.xml perhaps.
    Till now always when erase reg 41 i can update maps over mapupdater and nuvi ID always was there, only model number desapire.
    I go to my garmin and there is nuvi recognized and i can download map and that map is unlocked when is downloaded.
    I do agree with Loly on that first part though Caty. The Unit ID is still in GarminDevice.xml created after 41 is erased. The unit registration and unlock codes are missing and model number disappears in that it goes to basic [becomes 24xx; 37xx etc] and with some units certain functions present in senior models do not work although this didn't happen with his 2460.

Regarding MyGarmin, loly are you saying that if you attempt the map update/reinstall with MU and it baulks you can then go to MyGarmin and complete the dl there. Again, if so, i can't replicate that either.

Till now we didn't find solution to re-populate NV.
    When anybody buy new nuvi two things that must do is:

1.) Complet backup of internal storage of device
    2.) Backup of region 41.
    Wise words. Maybe also 3.) should also do complete sd dump of all other regions. But as far as the nv re-populate is concerned some ppl obviously know how to repair it before writing 41 back so that the codes can be recognised again and written into the xml. [Not me, i'd have to ask for your help Loly kunix et al.]
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Important User Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

Unit ID is not in reg 41,I know. If you erase 41 Unit ID wont be erased. I though he flashed something else after that to restore model n.and nuvi lost Unit ID.
    But better not to expain more here.
    No way to readd codes and registration date, I have the same in my 3790, but no problem with myGarmin and updates.
    I lost model n and I couldn't update with my Lifetime at myGarmin, MU etc. I restored model n. and all returned ok because infos are stored in Garmin's records .
    This happened before we knew how to backup NV, in first attempts in 37xx to 34xx conversion ,so I lost codes forever.
    Kunix sent me a program to restore them but failed. Probably it works with 1XXX series.
    Loosing Unit ID is another story a bit more complicated and, as I know, service cable is needed if you don't have backup.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

VIP Master

Thanks for the clarification, catymag!
    What if one was to erase rgn41 before registering the unit with Garmin? Would their records still link your Unit Id to map subscriptions, etc.?
    Can you share the region Unit ID is stored in, so that one knows which NV region to restore from a full backup in the event of a loss?

Also, it seems my question regarding clearing NV on a non-booting system has gone unanswered. Should I start a new thread regarding it?

In any case, I believe my initial request can be considered "SOLVED" for the purposes of the thread title.

GPSPower Helper Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes
    Nuvi 2460 reboot loop - tried all suggested fixes

I've looked at region 41 some time ago in the hex editor but it seems to be xored or encrypted with 3ac5 or something similar.
    It also seems to be made up of a lot of data blocks (repeated) Some populated with Data, some not.
    Once I even managed to find the unitid (xored) and it was repeated may times. (once per data block I recall)
    I could never find the model number.
    The file is dynamic and changes after reboot adding files etc etc.
    I would appreciate more info on this file.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.