Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Member + Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? mallard2's Avatar

Default Voice Control Nuvi 3790

Hi
    Have a Nuvi 3790 (Small memory version 1.73 GB )

I have UK & Ire 2014.20 NTU maps installed , when using voice control ,some parts work but when trying address search ,I get "this feature is not available for England "

I have read bits & pieces about this but its still not clear if it is meant to be this way or if there is a work around ..

Any ideas ?

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

You didn't look hard enough, or at the wrong bits & pieces, my fine feathered friend .

You need to have the full EU map installed. Unfortunately you've got Buckley's chance of it fitting on your 3790's [so called] 2 GB memory as you'd know, even without the ancillary files. So put it on a 4GB or larger microSD and problem solved.

I've moved your post to the existing thread on this problem. Read Post #1 and this Garmin article:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    This is the relevant text:
    ".......... you may have loaded only a region of mapping to your device during a map update. Please run the map update again and choose full coverage for your continent. For example, if your device was preloaded with Europe, you'll need to install Full Coverage of Europe."
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member + Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? mallard2's Avatar

Hi
    Thanks for that , straight to the point

I prefer to use my units without an SD card where possible but will just have to use one on this unit ,

Wonder why Garmin limit some units to such low memory , probably some marketing strategy for countries with low mapping requirements

Again, thanks Neil

Member + Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? mullerh's Avatar

I have both a Nuvi 855 and an 885. They both have voice recognition, JCV and an MP3, audio book player.
    Both have 32G microSD cards. I put a Garmin and a Media folder on the microSD cards.

The Media folder has an Audible, JPG and Music subfolder and mostly loaded with Music (MP3) and Audiobooks.

The Garmin Folder has a ASR, JCV, POI and GPX subfolder. The ASR folder of course has the all the map specific ASR files. The SRD language specific files I leave in the ASR folder on the GPS. The JCV folder contains the JCV files. The JCV folder on the GPS is empty. The POI folder contains all my custom POIs. The Mapset is a gmapsupp.img file located in my microSD Garmin folder.
    I even have the JCV and ASR files for both North Amercica and Europe located in the JCV and ASR folders at the same time and gmapsupp.img files for both North America and Europe. The North American and Europe related gmapsupp.img on th emicroSD is managed by the small program called MapSelect.exe installed in the Garmin folder. That way I can quickly change the correct gmapsupp.img when I am in Europe or North America. The Nuvi finds the right JCV and ASR files in their folders. The Garmin folder in my GPS just contains my basemap as a gmapbmap.img file.

Needless to say this setup will provide me with adequate space for some time to come. Installing a full mapset or two is no problem. My problem is still to be able to get ASR files for the latest European maps.
    Last edited by mullerh; 8th October 2013 at 05:05 AM.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

A lot of what works in the Garmin folder on older units will also work in a Garmin folder on an SD card. The same goes for later models, where what's in the .System folder as ancillary files will also work in a Garmin folder on a card. The *.srd files do need to stay in the unit's ASR folder though as you've pointed out.

That's dead right about the 8xx series ASR files being hard to get. Like hen's teeth now, but just in case you missed them they are available in the CN EU 2014.20 map thread here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Member + Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ? mullerh's Avatar

I appreciate the link to the ASR files. I missed them.

That is funny. A month or two ago I sent an email to Garmin asking them if there was a full compatible with ASR files available (for the 8xx series Nuvi) for CN Europe NT 2014.20.
    Their answer was it was not available for the North American purchased Nuvis, with North American maps originally installed. They sort of implied that if I wanted a Nuvi with European maps I should buy one in Europe.

Yes, that's their standard response if you ask about any ancillary files for a map when you have a non-localized unit as you describe. I believe that they do want you to either buy another unit at your destination or their [comparatively] expensive one-off maps which don't get ANY extra files such as JCV, 3D buildings and DEM [or ASR for that matter]. I commented on it in the AU 2014.20 thread in response to a Yank coming downunder: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. For 100 bucks US a pop you could buy the CN EU for your 8x5's and that's all you'd get, just the map. The alert about that is hidden away cynically on purpose i believe. See if you can find this text in the CN EU map info page:
    Please note, these full-version maps do not contain premium content such as junction view or 3-D buildings and terrain. These features only are available on the preloaded maps within your device or through a specific update for the mapping region of your device.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Give up? It's in the 'Download Requirements' dropdown box [and only there] of the 'Requirements' tab of the page. Good place to hide a disclaimer or some negative info that you'd rather the punter not sees before he clicks 'Add to Cart' then 'Check Out'. I bet Garmin's Legal dept laughed themselves silly over that advice to Marketing: 'Hardly anybody will find it, but we can say when they complain later that it is there'. I've known lawyers like that, the sneaky b's! Gotta admire the raw cunning though.

Default Voice Command in Nuvi 3790

Hello everyone,
    I have one question. My nuvi 3790 is working corectly with bluetooth.
    When I try to turn on the voice command, there is an information, that in my country (Poland) this nuvi doesn't operate voice command.
    I change country, and language on American English and it still doesn' work.
    Is there any posibility to turn on the voice command to operate it (in english with european map? or better in my mother tongue Polish)
    Thanks for help.
    Rafał

For voice command to operate in EU you need some things to be correct:

(i) The full map of Europe, a subset map even if it's missing only one tile will prevent it working
    (ii) The correct TTS voice selected in settings for an ASR supported language such as English_British_Emily.vpm
    (iii) The correct ASR files, all types i.e. the specific language related SRD file like English_British.srd and the correct map specific ASR files *asr/*srx which change with each map version

Be aware that there are two types of Automatic Speech Recognition files, the type used by your 3790 often referred to a 'ASR 1' and the later type known as 'ASR 2'. They are not interchangeable.

I've moved your post to an existing thread, please read [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and others in this thread for more information.

Navigation software expert Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?
    Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?Voice Command support is not available for American English" Problem ?

Nuvi 3790 support only ASR 1 which have these language for Europe map search:

Dutch Netherlands
    British English
    French
    German
    Italian
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Danish

ASR2 model support a one more language:

Dutch Netherlands
    British English
    French
    German
    Italian
    Spanish
    Swedish
    Danish
    Finnish

but there is not American English too...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?