Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

? Garmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhone

Hello guys!
    Today Garmin published new version (v1.5) for Garmin Smartphone Link in Appstore.
    Unfortunately, Garmin still follow their politics - do not support old Nuvi models in Garmin Smartphone Link application for iPhone. In the same time Android application support Nuvi 2012 models without any problem. I suppose, that Smartphone Link application check model ID that try to establish connection via bluetooth and make it able for listed models.

I would like to try change model's number ID via bluetooth setting inside my navigator, for transfered it as 3597 for example.
    Can somebody help me looking for where my device ID described for bluetooth inside .System folder?

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhone
    Garmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhone

I'm afraid it's not possible, device Id is in NV: region 41, it contains Nuvi ID, all your maps codes, probably your Nuvi registration date on myGarmin and first satellite fix etc. Everything is in reg 41.
    You can find device id in Garmindevice.xml, in Garmin folder, but it is written by NV every time you restart nuvi.
    But many features are model related, in some models this can be changed flashing another modded flashable firmware and/or adding them modding region 140.
    See [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and following posts, but Neil wrote:" there's no change to Apps on device".
    If you convert a 3790 to 34xx,for example, and enable features, Garmin apps will keep on seeing it as a 3790, but Webupdater and Mapupdater will download 34xx files and Smartphone link works with it.
    Conclusion: IMHO the only option is not to change unit id, but convert Nuvi to another Nuvi model, but IMHO not possible and convenient for 3590.
    See also: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Garmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhoneGarmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhone

But I Googled a bit (always convenient to do it) read here:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Quote Originally Posted by catymag View Post
    But many features are model related, in some models this can be changed flashing another modded flashable firmware and/or adding them modding region 140.
    If you convert a 3790 to 34xx,for example, and enable features, Garmin apps will keep on seeing it as a 3790, but Webupdater and Mapupdater will download 34xx files and Smartphone link works with it.
    But this is little bit different from my question. I already have Smartphone Link app. inside my Nuvi 3590, more of than, I tested it with Android smarphone, that has installed Smarphone Link also. In this pair all work fine. But if you have installed same Smarphone Link from Appstore to iPhone, iPhone not able to connect my 3590, because it supported only 2013 series nuvi.
    Code:
    Here also
    Code:
    catymag, what you mean when tell about region 41 and region 140?
    Last edited by Roger; 18th July 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: coded links of companies: look the Rules ;)

Quote Originally Posted by serggio View Post
    catymag, what you mean when tell about region 41 and region 140?
    Flash chip contains regions, every regions contain some infos. 41 is NV preprogrammed by Garmin with unit ID, 140 contains Nuvi features.
    read [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Garmin 3590LMT and Garmin Smartphone Link for iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by serggio View Post
    But this is little bit different from my question. I already have Smartphone Link app. inside my Nuvi 3590, more of than, I tested it with Android smarphone, that has installed Smarphone Link also. In this pair all work fine. But if you have installed same Smarphone Link from Appstore to iPhone, iPhone not able to connect my 3590, because it supported only 2013 series nuvi. ..........
    As you now know, Garmin has stated that the 2012 range will never support the iPhone Smartphone link. Because this is not presently [and according to Garmin, never will be] in the 2012 series fw, unless some serious work is done by an outside fw expert, or Garmin changes their mind, that won't change. Actually, catymag did answer your initial question though. You were seeking a way to enable the Smartphone link from the 2013 series in your 2012 series 3590, and you wished to do this by changing your unit's ID to that of a 3597 for that purpose, correct? Caty has told you that's not feasible because the ID is stored in reg 41 [and it's a very bad idea to muck around with that]. She also points out that it is possible to change/enable some features by modding region 140 in some models. But that pre-requires that the feature is supported by the fw anyway and in the case of iPhone link it's not possible presently because it's simply not in the fw for your 3590 to begin with.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

You were seeking a way to enable the Smartphone link from the 2013 series in your 2012 series 3590, and you wished to do this by changing your unit's ID to that of a 3597 for that purpose, correct?
    Neil, you absolutely right, I looking for way let my 3590 to be presented as 3597 thru BT connection, for that Smartphone Link on iPhone sew it as 'compatible' device.
    But may be I misunderstood that Caty said
    If you convert a 3790 to 34xx,for example, and enable features
    about another features for my nuvi, because I already have it in turn (Smarphone Link) inside my 3590 and tested it with Android app. as well.
    I thought that could be able just change model name only in BT register, not for all device. Now it's clear for me, and change reg 41 absolutely not convenient for me.