Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

@zumoman
    What you have read is correct. If the unit doesn't have the Language Guide icon present in the Tools menu, it's unsupported. Not sure with Zumo 660 if some fw version have and some don't, but with Nuvi 2x5W for instance, US/EU has it but SG/MY doesn't.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

2.    Advertissements

I think your'e right and my version (4.8) is not supported, I just checked the Youtube reviews again and the one's showing it working are both EU and US but from Nov 2011, so I suppose the later firmware updates have dropped support.
    Zumo 660 + latest firmware & maps

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

Why not try a fw downgrade and see if it then shows the icon?
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I have just finished a thorough search of all the gcd FW files back to version 4.10 and there is no mention of the language guide. I found a warning at the same time stating not to use a lower FW version that 4 as it causes the screen to fail.
    Garmin support were no more helpful than a piece of toast to a deep sea diver, so I think it's time to give up and put a translator on my Android instead.
    Zumo 660 + latest firmware & maps

Hi, I just recognize this discussion about the Zumo 660 and checked my installation. The guide icon on my Zumo 660 is gone away too. Last time I use it was some when end last year and it worked well. I am wondering what’s going on. What I am recognized is, that all file dates are set to 22.08.1999 and I am sure, this was not the case when I had install the guide.

Maybe it came with an update. There was a firmware update to 4.80 end of January. I didn't check any impact to the rest of the installations - a mistake. happen...
    Last edited by Neil; 10th April 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Change a 4 letter Anglo-Saxon noun to a 'Smelly Smiley' :).

Thanks for the change, Neil.
    I'm still looking what's going on and I am quite sure it came with the firmware update to 4.80 end of March (not January). I did now the actual update to 4.90 and still there is no icon.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

@duck42
    lol .. np from me, but some ppl may be offended by the actual word but not by the sentiment. Nobody can object to a smiley that's in our 'Insert a smiley' list though.
    @duck42 @zumoman
    It seems odd that Garmin would remove the Language Guide capability in a fw update and not advise it in the ChangeLog (at least I can't see it - please check it too):
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Have you tried lolypop000's method of unpacking a zipped up LEX_PKG directly in the Garmin folder? The tut is at the base of Post #1 or in Post #137 here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. That method has worked for me on several stubborn units where nothing else would. Maybe the logo will reappear in tools if the program is re-installed correctly. If not, don't give up on Garmin guys, keep pounding them until you get a proper answer. They're only as good as whoever happens to be fielding the fly balls on the day, so ask to get kicked up the line if you get fobbed off by the foot soldier on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by duck42 View Post
    Hi, I just recognize this discussion about the Zumo 660 and checked my installation. The guide icon on my Zumo 660 is gone away too. ...
    Maybe it came with an update. There was a firmware update to 4.80 end of January. I didn't check any impact to the rest of the installations - a mistake. happen...
    Downgraded to 4.40 and it came back - any firmware higher and its no longer there. I've contacted Garmin USA about the problem. Support guy was really helpful and checked with various departments on the issue. On a 665 he had, it was still there - escalated the issue and lets see what I hear back.

Hi, today I had some time to play with the Zumo 660. I can agree. I started my downgrade with 4.50 and the Language Guide was back again. Then I update to 4.70 - everything was ok. With update 4.80 I loose the icon. Same issue for 4.90

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod.

So Garmin managed to 'accidentally' drop support for Language Guide in V4.80? Oh well, at least they stopped you breaking the law if your Zumo battery is being charged inefficiently in California. Now, that was an important update, much more so than ppl on the Continent and elsewhere being able to converse without a common language. [Gee but it's hard to convey sarcasm in the written word, isn't it? Or not]. What's really amusing is that they then did another update V4.90 on April Fool's Day and didn't fix the earlier cock-up ... Bazinga! From the changelog:

Change History
    Changes made from version 4.80 to 4.90:

Added AVRCP capability to the Nav IV product.
    Fixed an error with the connection to IPhone 4s.
    Fixed a communication problem with LIN mounts.

Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:

Changed battery charging mode to comply with new California energy regulations.
    Fixed an error that caused some SD cards to not be recognized.
    Fixed an error that caused the device to shut down with highly-detailed 3rd-party maps.
    Increased the length of a route that can be calculated in its entirety.

Gotta get your priorities right haven't you. Thank goodness we can all rest easy knowing that at least with V4.90 the Iphone 4s users no longer have any communication problems! [Yep! More scarcasm.]