Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Looks like I've found why original 37xx bootloader doesn't work with 34xx firmware (Alviora, thanks for helping me with tests!).
    I believe it's because 34xx firmware is too big, so the 37xx bootloader crashes while reading it. This also explains why some older 34xx firmware versions work fine with 37xx bootloader.
    This issue could be fixed by compressing 34xx firmware and adding a special loader which would decompress it when executed. In a few weeks I will probably finish that piece of software and post here something for testing.

2.    Advertissements

VIP Master About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy
    About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy

If you need volunteer for tests - I'm all yours :-).

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy
    About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy

Also prepared to help with tests. I have 3 examples available: 2 x original 3790 (virgin, never converted) and one 3790 > 3490 (previously converted back & forth several times).
    Great cutting-edge work kunix and Alviora. Noeman is very lucky to have such skilled ppl prepared to help with these problems.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

voyager56

Quote Originally Posted by kunix View Post
    Looks like I've found why original 37xx bootloader doesn't work with 34xx firmware (Alviora, thanks for helping me with tests!).
    I believe it's because 34xx firmware is too big, so the 37xx bootloader crashes while reading it. This also explains why some older 34xx firmware versions work fine with 37xx bootloader.
    This issue could be fixed by compressing 34xx firmware and adding a special loader which would decompress it when executed. In a few weeks I will probably finish that piece of software and post here something for testing.
    I'm using bootloader from 3490 on my ex 3790 and never have had any problems. What advantages of using bootloader from 3790 instead of 3490 bootloader?

Quote Originally Posted by voyager56 View Post
    I'm using bootloader from 3490 on my ex 3790 and never have had any problems. What advantages of using bootloader from 3790 instead of 3490 bootloader?
    I know at least two reasons:
    1) angelozip wants to check if 34xx firmware has better GPS accuracy with 37xx bootloader.
    2) I consider flashing 37xx with 34xx boot.bin quite dangerous. As far as I remember 37xx prints "System Software Missing" in white color while being flashed with 34xx RGN. I have only one explanation for this fact: 34xx boot.bin crashes after flashing 34xx bootloader and the device reboots immediately and executes the new bootloader, which in turn reads the old firmware and finds that its HWID is wrong, then prints the message and enters pre-boot mode. Then updater.exe continues flashing the rest of RGN with help of bootloader (yes, with some nuvis you can remove boot.bin from RGN file and still flash it normally, as bootloaders can flash some regions).
    Now guess what happens if for some reason 34xx boot.bin crashes a few moments earlier, while flashing 34xx bootloader?
    Also once I've bricked 34xx by flashing it with 37xx boot.bin.

Awilda2are

Please, are there some fix to have better accuracy for the satelites signals on hacked 37XX/34XX ?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy
    About 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracyAbout 37xx converted to 34xx satellites reception accuracy

@Awilda2are
    Please read the thread. Even just the last few posts ..... [with all due respect].
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I'd be up for testing also, is there an update?

@markswift
    Kunix is working on a solution, as he mentioned in a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] in another thread:
    I would have to finish that 37xx firmware decompressor first
    Maybe he's started already or it's next on his list for Noeman. It's less than a week since he said it would take a few weeks. Genius works best if left in peace imo. Sshh.

Okay, here is the compressed firmware I promised: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    In nuvi_37xx-34xx folder there is a RGN file with compressed 34xx fw_all.bin and original 37xx boot.bin.
    Please test if it boots normally and if the GPS accuracy is better in comparison to 34xx fw_all.bin with 34xx boot.bin running on 37xx. This test is safe, don't be afraid. Also don't forget to make NV backup before flashing this firmware.

In nuvi_37xx-original folder there is the original 37xx firmware, just in case you need it.

And here is the packer: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    To pack fw_all.bin firmware file, run the following command line:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    You can also request that the unpacker verifies md5 hash of the unpacked fw_all.bin. (beware that this would slow down firmware loading speed).
    Code:
    Unpacking is also supported:
    Code:
    Not all firmwares can be easily packed automatically (for example, 6xx and 24x4/25x5), so they are not currently supported.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kunix; 30th April 2013 at 01:32 PM.