Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    tonytone

Guide How to make Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone

(revision 1.5--added photoLive Traffic Camera screenshots)
    (revision 1.6--update regarding removed/replaced features)
    (revision 1.61--update to reflect change in search tool from Google Local Search to Nokia HERE)
    Shorter way to make Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone in post n16

Note--it appears the the Google Local Search and Fuel Prices features/icon are no longer available and/or work; the Google Local Search (icon) has been replaced with the more generic-looking Local Search icon--Garmin has elected to go with a different search engine altogether (Nokia HERE)--see screenshot in post #15 in this thread.

Note #2--it also appears that the trafficTrends option/slider is no longer available under the Traffic Extras menu option; I'm not sure if it means that the trafficTrends feature no longer works--it is still listed as a free option in the main Extras menu but for whatever reason nothing happens when I tap the "FREE" button. Side note--I should mention that nothing happens when I tap the FREE button for "Add PhotoReal Junction View" as well--however, I know that I have that feature working on my Garmin since I downloaded the latest JCV file and have personally seen JCV views pop up on a planned route.

Disclaimer--any attempt to execute any of the instructions contained in this tutorial is done so at your own risk; I am not responsible if (other) things no longer work correctly or not at all.

Preface--when installing a "customized" (I can't use the other word that starts with "c" and ends with "racked" in this forum) Garmin StreetPilot version 2.2 app for iPhone (hereafter simply referred to as "Garmin 2.2"), you may/will discover that certain features will not work correctly or at all; these features include, but not necessarily limited to: Google Local Search (missing icon), Weather (tapping on icon does nothing), Fuel Prices (missing icon), Traffic (tapping on icon returns "Error communicating with server" message), and/or Extras (in-app purchase menu--tapping on icon returns "Error communicating with server" message). The instructions contained in this tutorial will show you how to get these features to work correctly.

Note #1--this tutorial applies only to those folks running the aforementioned "customized" Garmin 2.2 version, on a jailbroken iPhone; if you have a legitimately-purchased version of Garmin 2.2, most--if not all--of the above features should already work right out of the box...thus you would have no use or need for this tutorial.

Note #2--the instructions here don't/won't apply to version 2.3 and newer because Garmin wised up so now 2.3 and newer requires that it dial home exclusively to gold.garmin.com in order to validate access to the features alluded to above...and I didn't bother testing them on Garmin 2.0 or older since why would I want to use 2.0 when I can get those things to work on 2.2.

Possible caveat--I am personally running Garmin USA 2.2 on an AT&T/USA-spec iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1, with Garmin City Navigator North America NT maps version 2013.40, and with iOS language and region set to English and United States respectively; I offer no assurance or guarantee that my instructions will work if you're running a Garmin app for a different region (e.g., Garmin Western Europe), if you're using maps for regions outside the USA or North America, if your language/locale is set to anything other than English/United States, and/or if you're using the Garmin app while physically located outside of North America or are otherwise connected to a network outside the USA. I did personally test the instructions in this tutorial on a jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1 that never previously had any Garmin app (legit or otherwise) installed on it--everything checks out.

Now that I've gotten all that out of the way, let's begin:

Please perform the following in the exact order listed:

1) Make sure your iPhone is connected to the internet (either via Wifi or Cellular) before continuing

2) Install Garmin 2.2--not 2.0 or older, and not 2.3 or newer. Once you've installed Garmin 2.2 to your iPhone, it is important that you do not start up the app just yet!

3) Using iFile or other file editor, edit the /etc/hosts file and add only the following entry:

127.0.0.1 gold.garmin.com

Do not add a line in /etc/hosts that contains silver.garmin.com--get rid of it if already exists in your /etc/hosts file! If you're uncomfortable with messing with the /etc/hosts file, you can elect to install a firewall app from Cydia instead (Firewall IP is a good one to use) and follow the instructions for that app on how to block gold.garmin.com (but not silver.garmin.com).

Why do we not want to block silver.garmin.com? Because in Garmin 2.2, the features described here that we want to enable and function correctly require that they be able to talk to silver.garmin.com...so if you block silver.garmin.com, they won't be able to pull the necessary info from it--thus negating all the work you did in this tutorial.

Your /etc/hosts file should eventually look something like this (note the existence of the gold.garmin.com line but no other *.garmin.com lines, and you can ignore those other *.com entries as they are not important/relevant to this tutorial):

hosts

4) If the Garmin 2.2 app you installed didn't come with any maps, make sure you install at a minimum gmapbmap.img and gmaptz.img; you can also go ahead and install your desired gmapprom.img map file and any other map files desired.

5) Download and copy over to your iPhone the following modified plist files:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

These four plist files need to be copied into /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/garmin-nav.app/; you may want to make a backup of the original plist files before copying these ones over, just to be safe. I used WinSCP to copy the modified plist files from my PC to my iPhone but you are more than welcome to use whatever tool fits the bill here. As a bonus, these customized plist files will also correctly enable the Add 3D Buildings toggle in Map Layers (if 3D map file is installed), full-screen Junction View in landscape mode, GPS Log utility, Pedestrian mode, toggle of individual maps (if more than one map region installed), and GPS Route Simulator menu options.

Note--it is not absolutely mandatory that you use my customized plist files; you are more than welcome to use your own plist files, or use the stuff in my plist files and add them into yours. I have provided mine only because they contain code for enabling the "bonus" stuff I mentioned just a moment ago, plus they have already been tested to work correctly for purposes of enabling Google/etc. I will say that you cannot use the default versions of the four plist files mentioned above and expect Google/etc. to work, even if you follow the rest of the instructions in this tutorial word for word.

plist

Upon copying these four plist files to your iPhone, make sure the permissions of each of those files are set to:

read,write
    read
    read

Make sure the ownership of these four files are set to:

mobile:mobile

permissions

Instructions for changing/verifying file permissions and ownership may vary, depending on which tool you are using to set/change them.

6) Once you've completed steps 1-5, now you can start up the Garmin app; acknowledge the Warning messages and allow Location Services when prompted. Make sure that the Location Services icon appears at the top of the iPhone screen--by waiting for it to appear, you will at least give the Garmin app enough time to generate the files that you will need to delete later on in this tutorial--LOL.

7) Once step 6 is completed, exit out of the app; make sure you completely kill it--double tap on the iPhone Home button and kill it from the background task list.

Once you've completed steps 1-7 above, you will need to delete the following files--again, I used WinSCP but you can use whatever works for you. Also--you may want to refresh the directory listing just in case they don't show up right away when you go into the directories listed below:

8) Delete all of the Cache.db* files in /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/Caches/com.garmin.onboard.***/

cache

9) Delete all of the shaders.* files in /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/Caches/com.garmin.onboard.***/com.apple.opengl/

shaders

10) Delete all of the GARMIN* files in /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/persist/Garmin/nonvol/

persist

11) Delete the com.garmin.onboard.***.plist file in /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/Preferences/

onboard

12) Delete all of the *.db files in /private/var/mobile/Applications/****/Library/sdcard/.System/SQLite/

db

Technically it doesn't matter that you do steps 8-12 in the exact order listed above, only that you execute each and every one of those steps.

You may want to refresh the directory listing after each of the steps in 8-12 to make sure that the files did indeed get deleted.

If you didn't find any files to delete in any of the steps in 8-12 above, then you either didn't refresh the directory listing like I suggested, missed one or more steps in 1-7 above, and/or followed the instructions out of order--if so, then delete the Garmin app and start all over from the beginning.

Make sure that the files you deleted in steps 8-12 are actually indeed deleted! Once you've made sure of this, then go ahead and start up the Garmin app again; acknowledge the Warning messages again, wait for the Location Services icon to appear at the top, then go ahead and check to see if Google/Fuel Prices/Traffic/Weather/Extras work.

Again, it goes without saying--you need an internet connection in order for Google/Fuel Prices/Traffic/Weather/Extras to work correctly, whether it be over Wifi or cellular. No internet connection = No worky Google/Fuel Prices/Traffic/Weather/Extras.

Proof that correctly following the instructions in this tutorial will yield the desired results:

Note--Google Local Search replaced with Nokia HERE search engine, so no more Google icon/logo but Local Search still works, provided you have a working Internet connection (either Wifi or cellular).

Google Local Search icon showing on the Garmin main menu screen:

IMG 0106

Working Google Local Search results (note the Google logo in the upper right corner of the screen):

googlesearch

Note--no more Fuel Prices search, please ignore this section.

Working Fuel Prices search results:

fuelprices

This is what you should see when you tap on the Traffic icon on the Garmin main menu screen:

trafficmenu

Note--the above screenshot appears if you've configured an active route and there's traffic along said route; if you don't have a route configured, then you would see this screenshot instead:

traffic

And if there is traffic in your vicinity, this is what you'll see when you tap Traffic Search:

trafficsearch

And if you've configured a route and there just happens to be traffic along your route, this is what you'll see when you tap Traffic on Route:

trafficonroute

In the above screenshot, notice that the right-pointing triangle at the bottom of the screenshot is colored black--this means that there is more than one traffic incident along the route--tap on it to see additional traffic incidents that are on your route.

To view weather info for a particular location, tap on the small "cloud" logo, like shown here:

weathericon

Once you click on the "cloud" logo, you should see something like this:

IMG 0108

Working Extras menu:

extrasmenu

Note: for some reason the trafficTrends slider is no longer present, apparently due to some change on Garmin's backend.

In order to receive data of traffic congestion areas (where offered), you will need to install the free trafficTrends in-app option in the Extras menu--assuming of course you got everything working after having followed the above instructions successfully; if you don't install it, then don't be surprised if, when you tap Traffic -> Traffic Search, it says "No traffic incidents found".

Once installed, this is what you should see when you tap on Settings -> Extras from the main app menu:

trafficservice

Note--please do not confuse the trafficTrends in-app option with either the photoLive Traffic Cameras or Traffic options that are available in the Extras menu as in-app purchases; the latter two are server-side pushed from gold.garmin.com (IIRC--if you're blocking it in /etc/hosts, obviously these features will not work at all...and of course you can't just simply unblock gold.garmin.com or else you'll then get the Authentication Error message, thus rendering your customized Garmin 2.2 app useless). Also--if you're running the aforementioned customized Garmin 2.2 app, you will never be able to download and install either of those two features since they require server-side authentication to validate purchase of either of them and it is not (yet) possible to successfully complete an in-app purchase transaction--even if you're willing to pay for it--on an installed app that wasn't purchased legitimately. And in case you were wondering--yes I already tried, even after having installed various in-app purchase hacks to try to get around it...fail.

If you're wondering what the difference is between the trafficTrends and Traffic in-app options--the trafficTrends in-app feature simply provides data that aid in improving recommended routes and providing more accurate arrival times to destinations, along with providing suggested alternate routes depending on traffic for the time of day and day of week...whereas the Traffic in-app feature gives you real-time updates on your route and can automatically redirect you to an alternate route. And no, the Traffic in-app feature is not to be confused with the Traffic menu option on the main Garmin app screen.

Update--oh snap! Maybe the photoLive Traffic Camera in-app feature does sorta kinda work?

mycamerasmulti

mycamerassingle

You add the traffic cameras by tapping Traffic (see screenshot from earlier in this post), then tapping myCameras, then tapping Add Camera, then selecting a road for which traffic cameras may exist. Note--looks like it searches for traffic cameras within a certain radius, so you won't be able to select a camera outside of approximately an 80-mile radius from your current location, and even then only if the cameras are in Garmin's traffic camera database.

I haven't yet tested to see if these traffic cameras pics pop up real-time during a route that passes by any of them...I'll let you know if/when I have had a chance to do so.
    Last edited by catymag; 10th March 2014 at 02:39 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Important User How to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone
    How to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhoneHow to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone

Thanks I will add it in our Tutorials index
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

tonytone

Added some more/new screenshots, including some shots of what appears to be photoLive Traffic Cameras...

hosion

great. Works in my iphone. 6.1.2
    Garmin USA: 2.2.10
    Map: north americ, 2013.40

There is a problem on all iPhone garmin versions. They don't display Unicode characters for example Thai or Arabic names on maps. The application just display ?????????. Any idea on how to solve this problem.

Master How to make Google Local Search/Weather/Traffic to work on Garmin StreetPilot 2.2 for iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by midnight1 View Post
    There is a problem on all iPhone garmin versions. They don't display Unicode characters for example Thai or Arabic names on maps. The application just display ?????????. Any idea on how to solve this problem.
    test this package
    Thai TTS ok
    JCV ok
    3D ok

1.add your map in System folder and jcv file in JCV

2.block garmin by edit host file

add this line in host file
    127.0.0.1 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    127.0.0.1 gold.garmin.com

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by chinnachot; 13th August 2013 at 05:58 AM.

Hi tonytone, your instruction is really valuable. Thank you!

Now I'm using Garmin 2.2 with the N.A map 2014.20, and I have two questions:

1. I try to download free extras in app but when I click the "free" button there's no response at all. How can I make traffic trends work?
    When I clicked the traffic button there's traffic information shown but it only worked with internet connection, so it's not traffic trends but only traffic services, is it right?

2. How to check the effect of the sid files? I got two sid files which are D3157100A.sid (instasearch) and D3406090A.sid (traffic trends v3), and how can I see the difference by adding these? When I tap on Settings -> Extras from the main app menu, I can only see "Traffic service" toggle but no "trafficTrends" toggle. If I didn't add these two files, I could still use traffic with internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by boonh View Post

1. I try to download free extras in app but when I click the "free" button there's no response at all. How can I make traffic trends work?
    When I clicked the traffic button there's traffic information shown but it only worked with internet connection, so it's not traffic trends but only traffic services, is it right?
    Same issue here, running iPhone 4s, 2.2 - Clicking on 'free' does nothing in extra menu. I suspect its because all purchases are blocked even if for free.

Everything else is finally working! So nice to have weather, cameras, and traffic menu available. thanks!

tonytone

Quote Originally Posted by boonh View Post

2. How to check the effect of the sid files? I got two sid files which are D3157100A.sid (instasearch) and D3406090A.sid (traffic trends v3), and how can I see the difference by adding these? When I tap on Settings -> Extras from the main app menu, I can only see "Traffic service" toggle but no "trafficTrends" toggle. If I didn't add these two files, I could still use traffic with internet connection.
    Re: #1--I'm not sure if it's due to installing map version 2014.20 (I am running 2014.20 as well) or if Garmin has wised up--nothing happens when I click on the "Free" button as well.

Can anyone who hasn't upgraded to a 2014 map check to see if the Free button in Extras is no longer working for them as well?

Also--the "trafficTrends" slider option in Settings -> Extras is no longer showing on my Garmin; I don't really know if it disappeared due to my having installed 2014.20, or sometime after that. I still get info about traffic congestion along my route and surrounding areas--no immediate traffic congestion reroute option of course since that is only available with the Traffic feature that cannot be purchased/enabled on a "customized" Garmin iPhone app.

Also #2--the fuel prices option is no longer available on my iPhone as well--when I fired up the Garmin app on my iPhone earlier today I got a popup message stating that the fuel prices feature has expired (or something to that effect)--I then noticed that the fuel prices icon is no longer available when I tap on the "Where To" icon. Bummer...

i'm in japan, my device is iphone 5g jailbroken. i've been installed Garmin USA 2.2. and i have location faker on my iphone. before i make my location in usa, google search not working, because i'm in japan, after i make my position in USA somewhere, google search working perfectly, any suggestion?