Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Hi Kunix, firts of all many thanks for the reply, amazing how people can help each other.
    I used the file file Zumo_update220.rgn

Processing C:\Garmin Download map 220\Nieuwe map\Zumo_220update.rgn
    This is a RGN file.
    Patchable HWIDs: 723
    *Processing HWID 723
    Processing OK
    after doing this I can connect back my Nuvi to my pc
    but when turning on I see Garmin on the screen and than turns off

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mefranky View Post
    after doing this I can connect back my Nuvi to my pc
    I don't like this phrase. Or maybe I don't understad in... Did you put your nuvi into pre-boot mode and flashed the patched firmware with Updater.exe?
    Also what do you mean when saying "connect back my Nuvi to my pc"? Do you see it as a flash drive?

Hi Kunix,
    Sorry for my English and limmeted skills here.
    When I connected (USB) my Nuvi to the PC it was not recognized, so this is know back working and detected as (flash) drive

I used the updater.exe but not sure I have used the correct file.

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Mefranky
    Okay, then remove X:/Garmin/GUPDATE.GCD (where X: is the flash drive letter of your device). After that you would need to flash ORIGINAL firmware, as CURE firmwares made by GarminCure3 are not bootable. Do it as follows:

Open the firmware file with GarminCure3 and make sure ORIGINAL is selected.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Then press "Make firmware".

Then press "Updater.exe".

Updater.exe program window should appear. Make sure "USB device is selected.

Then put your device into pre-boot mode and connect it to the PC. Then updater.exe should detect it. Press "OK" and firmware update process will start.

After that your device should be working normally. If it still doesn't work then we will try something else.

Hi Kunix.
    My Nuvi is back working, many thanks.
    Re-installing the firmware file was the solution.
    Many thanks.

Hi i've started several attempts to flash the new firmware to my Nuvi 550. Neither the original nuvi5xx_regionfileonly__430.gcd (via garmincure3) nor the self created RGN File (via updater) worked. Every time i tried to update the process starts with ereasing the old firmware and then it stops with a nonspeakig error message. After this failed attempt the nevi works fine with the old firmware. So nothing happened.

I hope that anybody could help me with my problem.

Thanks a lot.

Ben

tteitei

Hi, can anyone confirm that they have successfully converted a 550 to a zumo 220? I'd really like to know that it works before I try it out.

Important User Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220
    Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220

Quote Originally Posted by tteitei View Post
    Hi, can anyone confirm that they have successfully converted a 550 to a zumo 220? I'd really like to know that it works before I try it out.
    Read the thread
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

teiteit

Hi, after reading the thread only one person has tried a 550 to 220 conversion but failed. I am hesitant to do my 550 will try if anyone else can confirm that the process works. Sorry for the questions but this is the first time I would have tried doing this sort of firmware change.

Regards,

teiteit

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220
    Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220Turn your Nuvi 510 into a Zumo 220

Quote Originally Posted by teiteit View Post
    Hi, after reading the thread only one person has tried a 550 to 220 conversion but failed. ................
    I don't think you can safely draw that conclusion. There are undoubtedly many who have succeeded but haven't posted for help because they didn't need any.

The principles set out in Post #1 are fundamentally sound, and quite safe because that method uses the original boot.bin of 5x0 fw retaining the HWID of 0723. In fact, because the two devices are practically identical in hardware and share the same [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of 105-01364-00, it is almost certainly possible [but inherently more risky] to flash the full zumo 2x0 fw to a nuvi 5x0.

All nuvi 5x0 are the same identical hardware, 500 or 510 or 550 naming only indicates the regional pre-loaded mapping. nuvi 5x0 doesn't have a BT module so can't fully convert to zumo in that respect. Some other points which I don't think are mentioned in Post #1:

1. If it's present, remove the file GUPDATE.GCD from the nuvi's Garmin folder before you start any conversion flashing [it's actually not in a hidden .System folder of 5x0 and neither are the maps, that's only for more modern devices. nuvi 5x0 has all that in Garmin folder]. If you don't remove it that file may flash the unit back to full nuvi 5x0 or even cause it to 'soft-brick' under some circumstances. If it's not there, don't panic because it's not always on the unit.
    2. Do a NV Backup, both before conversion and after conversion: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. This could save your unit, so do it even if you're not intending to convert.
    3. Clear user data by hard reset both before and after conversion [hold lower RH cnr of screen powering on]. Backup favourites first if you want to restore them as it will clear all history.
    4. Use the latest available version of fw to do the conversion.
    5. If using the original nuvi 5x0 boot bin, name the rgn file as 072301000xxx.rgn where xxx is your new firmware version. e.g. if using v3.00 zumo fw, best name it 072301000300.rgn after ticking the HWID and SW Version of 'Overrides' in the top section of RGN_Tool to '0723' and '300' respectively. If flashing the full fw of zumo220, you'll have to force it to flash using a name such as 'out.rgn' or just leave a zero out of '01000' [it's that sequence which tells updater.exe to check the HWID match of the RGN file and the unit itself]. Any naming of the rgn other than <HWID>01000<SWV> will force the flash so be careful with that. The risk of bricking is much lower with original 5x0 boot.bin and HWID 0723 for the inexperienced that far out-weighs the inconvenience of doing fw updates manually. Using the full zumo 220The decision and risk is yours alone either way, only you can gauge your experience and risk tolerance level and all fw flashing carries some risk.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].