Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nuvi 200, firmware 5.00, HwID 0660, SD HC 4 GB class 6

2.    Advertissements

Senior Member Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar

The 200W the OP and I have hasn't had its firmware updated from version 4.00 in almost four years. This original version of the 200W uses the older interface with + and - signs in the upper left and right corners. Garmin, in a brilliant moment of confusion, decided to re-release the 200W for 2009. This unit externally appears like the old 200W, but has the firmware and interface of a 205W. Comments about no longer having the 2GB limit per map may not apply to every unit.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    --Douglas Adams

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd
    Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd

Quote Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi View Post
    ........... Garmin, in a brilliant moment of confusion, decided to re-release the 200W for 2009. This unit externally appears like the old 200W, but has the firmware and interface of a 205W. Comments about no longer having the 2GB limit per map may not apply to every unit.
    That's a revelation to me, i wasn't aware there were 2 releases. Are you saying that the original 200w with stock firmware cannot be updated to overcome the 2gb image limit, only the later release running the 205W fw?

Navigation software expert Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd
    Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd

No problem with map greater then 2 GB on all version (new or old release) of Nuvi 200 (200W)! Just use webupdater for last software if you have problem...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Senior Member Strephon Alkhalikoi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That's a revelation to me, i wasn't aware there were 2 releases. Are you saying that the original 200w with stock firmware cannot be updated to overcome the 2gb image limit, only the later release running the 205W fw?
    Giomen is correct about the 2GB limit not applying, since the SD card is formatted as FAT32 and the nüvi has no problem reading it. However, since the SD card is formatted as FAT32, the file size limit is 4GB per file. That's a FAT32 limitation. Were the SD card formatted as FAT16, then you'd have a 2GB file size limit.

My comments about other people's comments regarding the file size limits were made in haste. They probably shouldn't have been made at all. However, while Giomen is right in that someone hitting the 2GB limit needs to update their firmware, I don't think it's highly likely that anyone with an old 200W would not have updated the firmware to the last version (4.00). For the record, my 200W is at version 4.00, so there's no point in me running WebUpdater.

And yes, there were two releases. Physically identical on the outside, but significantly different in terms of interface and hardware. These units are essentially 205W nüvis in 200W shells. These 200Ws were available only for the holiday season in 2009. I noticed them while working for a (formerly) major retailer. Now that I've said that, wrap your brain around this one: the old nüvi 200W units received a memory upgrade at some point in their production history. nüvi 200W units exist in the wild with the old interface, in 1GB and 2GB varieties.
    Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 5th November 2011 at 03:51 AM.

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    --Douglas Adams

Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd

Default We're all saying the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Giomen View Post
    No problem with map greater then 2 GB on all version (new or old release) of Nuvi 200 (200W)! Just use webupdater for last software if you have problem...
    Thanks, Giomen, i was in fact aware that the "old" 200w could run 2gb maps with fw update, and i 'm sure Stephon Alkalikoi knew too. I was alluding to Stephon Alkalikoi's observation, i.e. "Comments about no longer having the 2GB limit per map may not apply to every unit" (empathis added). This i understood for him to be saying that the old version could not be updated to support larger that 2gb images. On re-reading both posts i can see that my also hastily-framed question to him could be misconstrued as easily as i misconstrued his. If either of us had used qualifying terms such as "running original fw", or "initial release fw" w.o. update, in reference to the 1st release model it would have been clearer.
    @Stephon Alkalikoi
    Thanks for the clarification of your previous post.
    Last edited by Neil; 5th November 2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo

Navigation software expert Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd
    Multiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sdMultiple Maps on NUVI 200w/Nuvi 255W  sd

I have more then 20 samples of Nuvi 200/200W (old edition) in my fleet and all of them work without problem with map greater then 2 GB!
    And so I do not understand about what you told in so many posts!!! I lose sight of thread... If you have a problem let us now about all detail and we will find a solution.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Default Back on Track

@gpshack2
    Giomen is right. The thread was side-tracked into a discussion on 2nd release 200W & on firmware upgrades to support greater than 2GiB card maps. All your problems were solved by about Giomen's post at #5 but the answers are somewhat "peppered" thru the preceeding posts and some info was wrong and/or confusing. By way of apology to you for my part in the side-tracking, here it is distilled down to what you need to know.
    This is based on the understanding that you have a 1st release 200W with an internal 1GB memory, and that the firmware has been upgraded. You have a 4GB sd card. Right so far? These are your options:-
    Maps on the device: You may have the basemap and up to 4 detail maps on your internal memory, there are:
    gmapbmap.img (basemap)
    gmapprom.img (detail map)
    gmapprom1.img (detail map)
    gmapsupp.img (detail map)
    gmapoem.img (detail map - naming may not work with all maps, not de-selectable even if it does appear in map info)

The above is no immediate help to you because your problem is that the NA & landownership maps take up more than 1GB each when together with the basemap etc so neither detail map will fit on the internal memory, therefore they must go on the SD card.

Only one image can go on the card. You must combine your maps to one image, name it gmapsupp.img.
    The SD card can be any size 4GB or more, but the FAT32 format limitation means that the gmapsupp.img file cannot be greater than 4GiB minus 1byte regardless (4,294,967,295 bytes).

There you have it. If you had worked it out already, good, then maybe this might just make it easier for someone else looking for the same answer.

Just stumbled across this old thread (noticed it in the Tutorials index actually). Seeing it's in Tuts, here's an update to the above:
    With recent fw updates all 2xx[W] and 2x5[W] series now support 2 image files in Garmin folder on SD, named as gmapsupp.img and gmapsup1.img only. Also applicable to 465 & 7xx nuvi series.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

WknThDg

To my knowledge, this only applies for the recent U.S. HWID firmwares.