Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Bodenmann

Default How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

Hi together
    I have bought City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap from Garmin. How can I extract the files from the *.gmp data, especially the poi's?
    Many thanks for your help!
    Peter

2.    Advertissements

Important User How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap
    How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

Welcome on Noeman Forum

I do not think you can do to pull POIs on the map from the map itself.

Even if one could ... on which of the 477 (NT and NTU) that make up the same map?

Example:first folder 00417038 with files I10FD95C.GMP

Example Data file from NT(U):
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Bye,bye
    Last edited by Roger; 7th December 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Bodenmann

Thanks for your answer. I have also downloaded POIs from OSM. But they are not as well structured as the ones from a navi. Is there any other possibility to get POIs (TOMTOM and so on) that I can use in qGIS or ArcGIS?
    Peter

Important User How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap
    How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

Ah,ok....your correct section is [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    In the correct section you can find some more help

For Quantum GIS [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

For ArcGIS [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] (but link dead...sorry)

Bye,bye

Navigation software expert How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap
    How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

Quote Originally Posted by Bodenmann View Post
    I have bought City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap from Garmin. How can I extract the files from the *.gmp data, especially the poi's?
    No way for Garmin now! Cause is in the letters "NT". There are not editors or decompiler for this Garmin format.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

novoment

The only way to do that is to do some reverse engineering on the only two (as far I know) programs that can read Nt format: Garmin Mobile XT and Mapsource (and its derivatives: training center and so on)...so, we need some magic here

Several days ago I have read in another blog that the nt format is just scrambled by a simply xor function, that is because it cannot be decrypted, yet?

Note by MOD: use button Edit post for join Info in your latest post.Tnx
    Last edited by Roger; 15th February 2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: merged post

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by novoment View Post
    Several days ago I have read in another blog that the nt format is just scrambled by a simply xor function, that is because it cannot be decrypted, yet?
    If it were that simple, everyone would already be able to do that. But no, NT is somewhat more complicated. Speaking in general terms, older IMG sections are packed inside the new GMP section, and a few new datatypes are added to the older sections.
    Also a few people have definitely reverse engineered it, but they don't release the results of their efforts. And I can't blame them for that
    And also the tiny bits of info above is not my personal research, I'm just retelling the words of one man "in the know".

Master

Think the most important question here is why would one need that? In general the weakest part of the Navteq mapping is its POIs. You can find many free sources with better data. Even Garmin in the latest models are hiding purposly the POIs from CNE.

Navigation software expert How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap
    How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

Quote Originally Posted by novoment View Post
    Read this blog and you know that a some resource is packed for smaller size of data. I do not hear about xor function for packing...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

How to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmapHow to extract POIs from ".gmp file from City Navigator Europe NT 2013.30.gmap

If it was just xored it could be so simple lol
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600