Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Navigation software expert Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership
    Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership

If someone stole device, user who dont have it anymore must buy new, and Garmin have $.
    If you send not working unit (stuck on Garmin logo) to Garmin they tell you, buy new becouse we cant repair, but we all know that this error you can repair.
    This is only marketing move, or too many user forget what pin they set on nuvi

2.    Advertissements

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership
    Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership

Quote Originally Posted by ddabcd277 View Post
    Interestingly but garmin removed the PIN code function from the newer devices 2xx5, 34xx, 35xx series etc. Your comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by lolypop000 View Post
    .......... This is only marketing move, or too many user forget what pin they set on nuvi
    Or, in that case, maybe Garmin just forgot to include the function in the newer devices? Let's face it, if a locked unit is stolen, not only does the rightful owner have to buy a new unit, but the thief either has to go buy one, or he has to steal another one and so the cycle goes on ...... OK, call me cynical, but: either way 'ker-ching' goes a cash register or two somewhere in any case.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I will not discuss your opinions because they are the same as mine so I agree with all of you guys.
    The device is not mine. My boss has bought it few years ago and, of course, he discarded the bill asap.
    Have a nice day and thank you for replies.

Vip Master Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership
    Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership

Since the original question was about the nuvi660 there is a possibilty that you may be able to unlock it. And the solution is already out in the free.....
    When giving the pin code you are also asked for a safe place where you can start without the pin. IF the unit was switched off at the safe place you can switch it on with the flip antenna down (the 660 has an flip antenna) and then fold the antenna up and - voila; your up and running !
    The nuvi thinks it is at the safe place before it has got a fix and when at the safe place it should not ask for pin.
    Possibly this has been fixed with newer firmwares since it was a few years since it was discussed in the gpspassion nuvi forum but it can be worth a try.
    Another possibility is if you know where the safe place is, go there and it should unlock, even if you pass it at some speed.

Unfortunately this will not prevent the ordinary thief from stealing it in my opinion, he will smash the car and grab the gps and maybe later realize that it is locked. But do not put your home adress in the splash screen and/or do not have your safe place at home is one lesson.

Member +

Not all are stolen. Some people forget or it was left behind or abandoned or sold at an estate or yard sale (good luck with any refund there). Have seen them locked out of spite. I know of a kid who locked on one on a family vacation. None of that is theft. Not all intentions are dishonorable. It obviously does not deter theft or there would not be any resale market for them. Many imply they can defeat it, but its empty talk.

Not taking any sides to this. there are some truth to all the arguments.
    But I've witness one case in which someone locked a device out of spite.

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Redrock3
    Noone says that all people asking for help with unlocking their Garmin devices are thieves. But can you estimate the thief/not-thief ratio? You can't.
    Also once the way of unlocking has been leaked, noone can hide it. Can you estimate the probability of the leakage when you help remotely some man you've never seen? You can't. And noone knows what will happen in this case and what kind of stolen Garmin devices market will emerge.
    And, finally, unlocking a device isn't a matter of life and death, it's just a matter of saving some time/money. So, I guess, making honorable lockers pay for their stupidity/misfortune is better than causing something-we-don't-know with unknown probability.

Member +

Quote Originally Posted by kunix View Post
    Redrock3
    Noone says that all people asking for help with unlocking their Garmin devices are thieves. But can you estimate the thief/not-thief ratio? You can't.
    Also once the way of unlocking has been leaked, noone can hide it. Can you estimate the probability of the leakage when you help remotely some man you've never seen? You can't. And noone knows what will happen in this case and what kind of stolen Garmin devices market will emerge.
    And, finally, unlocking a device isn't a matter of life and death, it's just a matter of saving some time/money. So, I guess, making honorable lockers pay for their stupidity/misfortune is better than causing something-we-don't-know with unknown probability.
    I find it humorous that sites which help people unlock maps they did not pay for become righteous when someone asks to unlock a GPS they did pay for. I do not need anything unlocked. I just found the thread amusing.

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership
    Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownershipPin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership

@redrock3
    I really think you are misunderstanding the philosophy being expressed by us 'nay-sayers'. I can appreciate that you find this amusing, perhaps even quite ironic, but really nobody is being 'righteous' imo. If you cannot grasp the subtle difference between the two (unlocking maps v. unlocking a gps) then probably it cannot be explained adequately to you. So you should just put it down to 'honour amongst thieves' and have little more to do with us. As Kunix says 'once the way of unlocking has been leaked, noone can hide it'. It'd be out in the ether and noone could put that Genie back in the bottle. BTW he and other well-knowns on Noeman are some of the small number of people outside of Garmin who know how to do it.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

GPSPower Helper Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership
    Pin Lock lost ? Get help here if you prove your ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    @redrock3
    I really think you are misunderstanding the philosophy being expressed by us 'nay-sayers'. I can appreciate that you find this amusing, perhaps even quite ironic, but really nobody is being 'righteous' imo. If you cannot grasp the subtle difference between the two (unlocking maps v. unlocking a gps) then probably it cannot be explained adequately to you. So you should just put it down to 'honour amongst thieves' and have little more to do with us. As Kunix says 'once the way of unlocking has been leaked, noone can hide it'. It'd be out in the ether and noone could put that Genie back in the bottle. BTW he and other well-knowns on Noeman are some of the small number of people outside of Garmin who know how to do it.

This Knowledge is also a Marketable Comodity of sorts. !

I think that Garmin Removed this feature because it was giving them a lot of headaches.
    In Essence it does not prevent theft !
    It only prevents the Thief or the Buyer of stolen Goods from Using the Device.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein.