Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guide How to share Carminat maps with other users

After some hard work and many hours of searching there is a tiny light at the end of out tunnel.
    Due to the confirmation of the user Stronzo from a different forum I can now confirm that we can use a type of "map sharing" on the Carminat devices:

What you need
    Download the program Volume ID from Microsoft : [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] memorise the folder where you put the program
    Get familiar with the Dos promt, using
    cmd
    in the searchbox when you click on the Windows start button.

How to share your map with other users
    One word first! This only works for maps activated with a .MCT inside the map folder.
    If your map was updated through Home you most likely have a .DCT file for the map activation.
    The .MCT is bound to the serialnumber of the SD card, the .DCT to the serial number of your device.
    A map with a MCT works in any Carminat, but a map with DCT only the Car it was purchased for!

I assume the SD is in drive E: , if that is not the case use the correct drive letter as shown in your Windows Explorer!
    1. Use a cardreader and copy the .MCT file for the map into a folder on your hard drive.
    2. Open the command prompt and type:
    vol E:
    press ENTER
    Apart from other things you will get the Volume ID of the SD shown on your screen,
    Open an editor and create a textfile containing the volume ID of your SD.
    Should be in the form xxxx-xxxx, use the correct name and full version number of your map as a filename to save into the same folder that contains the backup of your .MCT file!
    3. Use Winrar and pack both the .MCT and the texfile with the volume ID, again use the full name and version number of the map as a filename.
    4. Upload to a file hoster and post the link in this thread.

How to use "shared maps"
    Use new SD, not your Original!!
    1. Check what maps are already shared by other users.
    2. Download the map you like (and that is shared!) from the corresponding map thread and the shared data provided by the user.
    3. Unpack the map to the SD.
    4. Use Winrar and open the archive containing the shared data.
    5. Unpack the .MCT file into your map folder.
    6. Open the textfile inside the archive and use the volume ID shared by the user:
    Open the command prompt in the folder containing the program VolumeID,
    ( I again assume the SD in drive E: ,change accordingly if different on your PC! xxxx-xxxx is the volume ID provided inside the rar archive)
    type:
    volumeid e: xxxx-xxxx
    press ENTER
    7. Done

Now the new map should work fine on your Carminat!

All this can only work if many users are willing to provide their data, and now, there is no more personal info shared for TT than they would get on any other TT using pirated maps.
    Password for all my files: downunder

2.    Advertissements

It seems that all Carminat Live use 4E0D-F1F7 as the volume ID of the SD card.
    That means if users upload the content of the SD (with MCT activation) the data can be shared with all other Carminat users, giving updates map for everyone.
    But it also means users have to share and start supporting the cause.

Seems to me like it's gonna work, let's share. Unfortenatly I updated my map through Home so I cannot share.

If you still got a map with .mct activation it is possible, but AFAIK updates through Home use the device ID of the Carminat and generate a .DCT file.
    You would not have a backup of your old MCT map for testing?

I sent a pm to you.

This is my link for sharing my map for testing, hope we can be successfull

[hide][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][/hide]

The map folder is not enough since the map info is missing. One need to get, at least, the release info as well (i.e. \TomTom-Cfg)

The original SD card cannot be read or copied in PC computer before first usage of TT Home. It is TT Home corrupts (registers) the SD card, which makes it to be unusable in other cars.

There are tools available for a RAW copy of the data, they work like these rescue tools and simply access the filestructure directly.
    Could never try it on CL SD's but I managed to copy SD's with hidden sectors and hidden partitions so it should work on a CL card as well.
    If Home can read it it must either a Windows readable format or a Linux format, might even be possible to check with a Linux Live CD....

If you have problems finding tools for the SD copy stuf I can recommend [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Does the same like these tools to clone your hard drive but for SD and USB.
    If the SD shows up in Explorer as a drive that program should be able to create a backup.
    So if Home changes anything on the SD to make it work/visible you can put the backup on with this tool and see if it does the same again.
    Might be worth trying to copy the untouched SD first this way onto a new SD and see if the copied SD works.
    But again: if this works it only works with an untouched SD that never was used in the car or "acivated" with Home!