Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Important User Extract language file from .rgn file?
    Extract language file from .rgn file?

Quote Originally Posted by ddabcd277 View Post
    Isn't the radio frequency Astro is using forbidden in Italy?
    Yes Vhf frequency is forbidden in Italy if not approved by the Ministry of Telecommunications.

And Astro is not approved

@ abba33
    Read PM,please....

Bye,bye

2.    Advertissements

Member +

@ddabcd277

please I want to translate the menu of a garmin astro 220 to greek ...
    the idea is to translate from french to greek ....

i found the french updater => [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    i found RGN_Tool_V078 to extract the bin files from rgn file
    i found garmin Updater to update the device
    which of the bin files should i translate and with what program ? i opened them with a hexeditor but couldn't find the strings ...
    Last edited by gvp; 21st October 2012 at 11:01 PM.

Master

@ Roger

Unfortunately, same here in BG as far as I know. Also same and for Garmin Rino. Can't be used and this is the best garmin handheld device... Do you know, or maybe someone else knows, in which EU countries Astro/Rino is allowed to be used?

@ gvp/abba33

I have attached the english strings from the FW of Astro 220. Translate them. The space between them is 0x00. Use hex editor for the translation for example. I think Astro support the standart ANSI code page so translating the strings to Italian/Greek shouldn't be a problem. I mean no need Astro fonts to be modified also.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Extract language file from .rgn file?

@ Roger

Unfortunately, same here in BG as far as I know. Also same and for Garmin Rino. Can't be used and this is the best garmin handheld device... Do you know, or maybe someone else knows, in which EU countries Astro/Rino is allowed to be used?
    You may find some limitations or prohibitions Splitting the various languages ​​for the series in question (ASTRO320 in the first place)

For Italy (Italian language,sorry) good explanation:

[hide]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    And FAQ (legal explanation):

Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    [/hide]

For France (French language,sorry) :

[hide]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Conditions d'utilisations
    L'utilisation du Garmin Astro 320 est soumise en France à certaines conditions. En effet, L'agence nationale des fréquences et L'Arcep qui sont les autorités de gestion des fréquences en France, ont désormais reconnu que les chasseurs pourront se voir attribuer une autorisation d'utilisationde fréquence annuelle.
    Ces demandes d'autorisations ne peuvent être réalisées à titre individuelle ; elles font l'objet d'une demande effectuée soit par une association, une fédération ou une société de chasse pour un territoire donné.
    Nous invitons donc tous les futurs utilisateurs du matériel Astro France (sont concernés uniquement les références 010-00976-B1 Astro 320 + collier DC 40 France et 010-11484-B1 DC 40 France) a se rapprocher de leur président ou responsable associatif avant toute utilisation du matériel.
    Toute autre référence de Garmin Astro est illégale et ne peut pas faire l'objet d'une autorisation d'utilisation.
    Les formulaires de demandes d'utilisation de fréquences sont disponibles sur le [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Vous pouvez [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    A noter, la société Garmin a collaboré avec les autorités compétentes pour trouver des fréquences disponibles sur l'ensemble du territoire Français. Toutefois, il peut exister quelques rares exceptions (brouillage frontalier, etc.) ou l'ANFR se réserve le droit de refuser l'AUF.
    NB : Les Garmin Astro ne répondant pas aux références précédemment citées sont illégales sur le marché, et ne sont pas compatibles avec les références spécifiques du marché Français. Les utilisateurs des appareils illégaux peuvent encourir des sanctions juridiques en cas d'utilisation de cet équipement.
    [/hide]

For Canada [English version... ] :

[hide]
    Due to varying international regulations, this version of the Astro is approved for use only in the U.S. The sale and unlicensed use of the Garmin Astro GPS dog tracking system in any form is presently prohibited by the Canadian government. According to a document published by Industry Canada dated June 2009, the MURS radio frequency used by the Astro will be permitted to be sold and operated on a license-free basis at the end of a 5-year transition period (June 2014). This Industry Canada ruling may be found in its entirety at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. Parties interested in the implementation of this spectrum utilization policy or with questions should contact their local Industry Canada office.
    [/hide]

Other countrys........??

Bye,bye

PS: Public apology to great caty , because in PM was right on interference by the Italian Army

Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?Extract language file from .rgn file?

Old Astro version has been reported to be illegal due to the frequencies used between the dog transmitter and receiver in UK New Zealand France Italy Austria Canada Australia Namibia
    Probably they're legal in Germany Belgium Nederlands Brazil Finland Sweden US ( but it depends on states: it's illegal in California) China Taiwan Russia.
    In Some countries You might be able to buy them legally but you cannot use them legally.
    The frequency of these devices is supposed to interfere with the emergency services radio bands.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Member +

@ gvp/abba33

I have attached the english strings from the FW of Astro 220. Translate them. The space between them is 0x00. Use hex editor for the translation for example. I think Astro support the standart ANSI code page so translating the strings to Italian/Greek shouldn't be a problem. I mean no need Astro fonts to be modified also.
    @ddabcd277
    ok thank you ... i'll post the translated file here when it's ready ...
    by the way the strings is from 3.70 firmware or an oldest one ?

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

gvp
    Just to make sure you are aware....
    Usually the translated strings are required to occupy no more bytes then the strings being replaced.
    Otherwise something in the firmware would have to be rewritten by the extended string section.

Master

Very good point kunix! I forgot about that! @ gvp/abba33 try not to exceed the intended 39916 bytes for the text. And keep in mind 0x00 between every word! If you miss one 0x00 everything will be screwed up! Maybe kunix or someone else can create a script for unpacking the words in a text file then again in a bin if that is going to be easier for you.

Master

Many Thanks Roger/Caty for the information! Unfortunately, same here - Astro/Rino are prohibited due to using frequency spectrum which is forbidden by the goverment/supposed to be used by the "emergency services radio bands" or goverment organizations or I don´t know...Just those spectrum is forbiden. Need special permision for usage. But I don't know someone here, using illegaly Astro as they are many, to be chased by the law...

BTW, one more idea for the kunix magnificent thought, may be it will be interesting looking at the FWs of Astro/Rino if possible to be manipulated the FM frequency spectrum those two devices are using.
    Last edited by ddabcd277; 25th October 2012 at 07:49 AM.

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

ddabcd277
    There is no need to create such script. Just replace all occurences of 0x0A (ASCII code for the new line character) with 0x7E (ASCII code for '~') with your favorite hex editor. Then replace all occurrences of 0x00 with 0x0A.
    Make sure that '~' is absent in the original strings section, otherwise find some other absent character.
    Then you can edit the text with any text editor which accepts 0x0A as a new line indicator (notepad++ is good enough).
    After editing the text replace 0x0A with 0x00 and then replace 0x7E with 0x0A.

Concerning that frequency idea... I'll put it into my todo list. But right now I'm busy as usual.