Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TomTom Expert Using an SDHC card in older devices
    Using an SDHC card in older devices

Default Using an SDHC card in older devices

Virtually all larger capacity SD cards and microSD cards are now classified as SDHC and will not run in older devices without changing the system (bootloader) file.

This applies to all pre x20 models like the x00's, x10's (510/710), Ones & One XL's (that have not previously seen/booted from an SDHC card).

To check what bootloader you're currently using tap bottom/right of your screen then tap the "version" box where you will see the Boot number. If this is lower than 5.5120 then you need to change it. If you're already running an SE or other "special" navcore you've most likely got a suitable bootloader (5.5120 or higher) already so you can ignore these instructions.

The easiest way for you to change the bootloader is to copy/paste/overwrite the "system" file (extracted from the attached 5.5120 system file.rar) to your current standard SD card or internal memory and boot up once with that new system file then it will read your new SDHC card.

DO NOT just add this bootloader system file to your SDHC card and expect it to run. You MUST first load it to your original SD card or internal memory and start your device. THEN it can read SDHC's.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by biggerdave; 3rd March 2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Please do not post "thanks" but use the "reputation" star(*) bottom/left or "like" bottom/left buttons
    S i m p l e s

PS If you find any dead links on MY posts please pm me & I'll try to fix/reload

2.    Advertissements

This is just what I neded for my TT Rider

I have an old Tomtom go classic (the 1st TT ever) I use this as a spare. I just updated it to the newest maps. It has the latest official NavCore 7.903 and a few years ago I updated the bootloader to 5.5022 so i could use larger cards.

Is it worth updating and if so which BL is recommended for this old beast? "5.5128 - better GPS signal quality / speed connect - RECOMMENDED"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT1

OK I bit the bullet. I have 2 SD cards one is an original from tomtom and 1GB and another 2GB. I put the 5.5128 system file on the 1GB card and booted TT. It flashed then rebooted. But I was left with the picture of the TT on the display with the memory card flickering and it would go no further. I thought it was bricked.

But when i tested with the 2GB card and also an 8GB micro SD in an adapter it works perfectly and the BL updated correctly to 5.5128. On the 1GB card I checked the BIF file and it had not changed the loader version there, but it had on the 2GB card. I changed it manually but still no joy. After reformatting the card and replacing the files the TT will still read larger card but not the official TT 1GB card any longer.

These seems ridiculous, is there a better BL that can still read my old card as well as the new ones?

Edit2

Oddly it works on a 256MB card that originally came with the unit, the 1 GB was from when I bought the card and map from them a few years after purchase. Could the flashing process have done something to the card? It was perfect with the TT before but now won't work on it despite reformatting. Testing on the PC reports the card is fine. And it seems fine on another 1GB card I found, so it seems to have only affected the actual card I used to flash the bootloader with. Very odd has anyone heard of this before?
    Last edited by lucid; 19th August 2012 at 06:08 AM.

There was absolutely no reason to change your BL!
    And your old SD not booting has nothing to do with the BL either - it your setup on this SD that is stuffed, if that is not the case the only other option is that this SD is faulty.
    Password for all my files: downunder

Its ok all the other cards worked so its not a problem, the above post does say "If this is lower than 5.5120 then you need to change it."
    and the other thread says "5.5128 - better GPS signal quality / speed connect - RECOMMENDED" which is why i decided to change it mine was lower. When I last flashed it several years ago that was the highest most appropriate BL's there weren't any others available. I was just wondering if somehow the cards serial number is blocked to the device. The card itself is fine and i have checked it with SD tools and there is no errors. This is why it is odd & the flash process does seem to have affected the relationship with the card relating to the device. I have flashed eeproms on countless devices over the years but this is odd, and testing the card in a friends TT it works perfectly.

Even if the TT had been bricked I would have not been bothered as its old and is just a spare. Nor am I bothered about the card, I was just wondering if this had happened to others. The card did still have on patched files like ttsystem and the rest of the NavCore when I flashed as well as the map, I was wondering if that had any affect?
    Just odd that despite full formatting the TT refuses to recognise the card while it works in other TT's and the PC and has no errors.

Also worth noting that when the device doesn't read an SD card it is a whole different graphic to the one that I get with this card. With a non readable card the graphic shows a card being inserted into the slot whereas this has the unit with a card in and it just repeatedly flickers animating in the graphic where the sd card is showing it in the slot.
    Last edited by lucid; 19th August 2012 at 05:05 PM.

All I can say is that that a SD is not affected by the BL, only SDHC need BL 5.5120 or higher.
    And there is no way of "blocking" a SD either, it is simply faulty or not correctly installed - I suggest to throw it in the bin and invest 5 bucks for a replacement

Ok no problem thanks for the reply. I have plenty of other cards I can use (micros with adaptor) and come to think of it my previous BL although less than the 5.5120 (5.5022) worked with 8Gb SDHC class 6 cards.
    The new BL as advertised does seem to "better GPS signal quality / speed connect". When I put the 2GB card in it immediately got a lock although i was on the couch in my living room and normally you'd have to put it on the window ledge and wait a couple of minutes. It would normally never get any signal there.

TomTom Expert Using an SDHC card in older devices
    Using an SDHC card in older devices

As long as you're happy then that's good but bootloaders have bugger all to do with GPS signal pickup (or anything else apart from initial boot-up). It's just a
    coincidence/atmospherics etc but still a good result.
    Please do not post "thanks" but use the "reputation" star(*) bottom/left or "like" bottom/left buttons
    S i m p l e s

PS If you find any dead links on MY posts please pm me & I'll try to fix/reload

Ok I am pleased to report that i found out what happened and have fixed it and the SD card now works perfectly again in the TT.
    Before I updated the maps on this card i had reformatted and checked everything in disk management and all was well. putting back the navcore and updated maps it all was fine and worked. Only then did i copy the BL to the SD card, flashed and then the SD would not load in the TT but others would. Also it worked on other TTs i tried (but they all also had internal SD cards as well as slots). I had reformatted and tested the SD partition finding no problems, but it still hadn't worked.

I had forgotten to re check in disk management. When I had flashed the TT had created a 13MB unallocated partition on the SD that was not there before flashing. You can not do this in windows 7 not without special tools, and it was not there before I put it n the TT to flash. I had to use another tool to low level format the SD card to remove the partitions (as its not possible in windows on SD cards). And now its re formatted and files returned it works again.
    So the TT had damaged the card during the flash, but now all repaired.

Here's a pic of the card before repair
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Well, that is exactly the reason why SD should not be formatted at all.
    And if you really have to use the dedicated formatter from SDCARD.ORG
    By the way: you theory is not correct
    There is nothing to flash on a TT and the bootloader is only a file on the SD or internal memory - it is being installed into the resident flash memory of your device.
    There is not interaction between SD and BL apart from the fact that is a file stored on the card.
    It is not possible for a TT to create partitions, so I assume something went wrong on your PC rather than on the TT.