Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?

Hi
    I have a 8GB micro SD card for my Etrex20 Do i need too Format the Card for NTSF or not at all.
    Fat only recognises 4GB i believe, the map is 4.1GB.

2.    Advertissements

Kanopus

I doubt eTrex support NTFS. But you can have multiple files with maps.

Navigation software expert Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?
    Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?

Only FAT or better FAT32 no doubt! NTFS is not for PNA.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?
    Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?

The most modern garmin units won't even recognise FATex (the SDXC file system) and certainly your etrex won't recognise NTFS. The file size limit for FAT32 is 4Gib (-1 byte), and for FAT16 it's 2GiB (-1 byte). 1GiB ~ 1.074GB. GB (gigabyte) is often used when people mean GiB (gibibyte) and this is becoming quite acceptable for informal non-technical coversation, albeit sometimes confusing .
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Card should be formatted within the garmin unit. It won't recognize NTFS, FAT or UNIX.

Navigation software expert Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?
    Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?

You are wrong - FAT is available!
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Garmin/GPS Systems GMod. Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?
    Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?Formating SD card Fat or NTSF?

@lrath
    It really doesn't matter where the card is formatted, in a card reader or inserted in the media slot of the garmin unit. It's simply the format to the appropriate File System (either Fat16 or FAT32) that is important. I prefer not to do anything with the card in the unit, 'coz the write speed to the card is quicker and you can be sure you won't screw up if you just use a card reader for reformatting and writing data. Many a garmin user would have accidentally reformated his internal unit drive when trying to do the card, and sadly sometimes in NTFS.
    'Thanking Posts' are banned. To thank someone, and/or to see hidden links and content, use the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] button below left of the helpful post then refresh your browser [F5 key]. 'Thanking Posts' are banned.
    Please don't spam. Posts serving no purpose other than to thank or to ask about hidden links are trashed or deleted, it's GPSPower's policy. Please don't spam.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] should make their first post as a new Intro Thread in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

My GPSMAP551s does quite well with fat32 so yes it should recognise it.