Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    GPSPower Helper HELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MAC
    HELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MAC

I think that you need to flash FIRMWARE now.
    It seem that you are still running the CURE (non bootable firmware)
    Go back to Garmincure3 and Flash firmware. As Caty says above the 13xx can boot even if you have not a single file.
    I did it today (Booted a 1300 with a blank but correctly formatted hard drive).It creates the needed files by itself.
    Use the button on the right hand side that says ORIGINAL and make and flash original firmware.
    Another way to do it is to get an older version (5.40) or (5.10) and copy the GUPDATE.GCD file to the /.system folder
    (it must not be the same version that you used to make the cure if you use the gupdate.gcd method)

Also look at this post.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by dasilvarsa; 22nd February 2012 at 05:51 PM.

2.    Advertissements

rosbif

Hi, I wondered that after your mail. So I tried again from scratch, using the Original option, but still nothing. I reckon the unit is shot. Will purchase something else!

thank you all for your help.

LEigh

rosbif

OK, I may have spoken too soon. I reformated the Garmin using the tool discussed here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

as mentioned by dasilvarsa. And what do you know. It rebooted. Sweet.

thanks again to all those who helped me out of this hole.

LB

GPSPower Helper HELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MAC

Well Done Rosbif.
    I was hoping that you would fix it.
    I think that your original problem was that your nuvi drive was corrupt.
    The Procedure for others (Nuvi 13xx and 14xx) should be something like this. (use Windows XP, not MAC)

1 Run GarminCure3 in Cure Mode to be able to access the internal drive.
    2 Backup as many files as possible, not forgetting the hidden /.system folder to your PC.
    3 Format the nuvi drive using [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] as a reference.
    4 Run GarminCure3 in Original Mode.
    5 The Nuvi Should now boot Run Webupdater.

Navigation software expert HELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MAC
    HELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MACHELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MACHELP - Garmin Nuvi 1310 Frozen and I cannot see it on my PC/ MAC

@rosbif

What do you set in format tool?
    Can you write a tutorial how you setup RMPrepUSB if someone need to use this tool?
    Last edited by lolypop000; 27th February 2012 at 10:08 PM.

rosbif

Default How to properly format a Nuvi after using kunix's cure

I don't know how to submit a tutorial, but here is my tutorial anyway:

If your Nuvi won't boot, despite all your efforts with GarminCure, and you are ready to ditch it, try the following:

Under Windows you can try to use programs like RMPRepUSB [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Download the latest stable version as a zip, unzip it and run the installer. Once installed, run the program.

prepusb

This image shows the program running, I used the default settings as set up on first run, *ensure* it is set to format the Garmin internal flash disk.
    Set 1. Partition size to MAX
    Set 2. Volume label to GARMIN
    Set 3. Bootloader options to MS-DOS Bootable (IO.SYS) (CC3 and CC4DOSUFD)
    Set 4. FAT32 and Boot as FDD (A: no MBR) only
    Set 5. Untick copy OS files and untick BartPE -> drive
    Click 6. Prepare drive.

These settings succeeded in returning my Nuvi 1340 from a non bootable state to a fully functional unit when coupled with the GarminCure procedure, IE:

Open GarminCure, drag the appropriate GCD file to the appropriate space in GarminCure window.
    Choose CURE option, and Make Firmware.
    After pressing make Firmware you will see the field populated below with a <some figures filename>.rgn and the final message in the message box should be

"Processing OK "

With finger depressing top left corner of screen, connect your Garmin device to the PC running GarminCure.
    The device will immediately turn on and if screen is depressed in the right place will bypass bootloader to allow Uploader to see it.

With finger still on screen press the Updater.exe button to flash the firmware to the internal disk.

This process should produce a Garmin with a flash disk accessible by Windows. From here you can use the rmprepusb program to reformat your internal flash disk.

Once that has happened, return to GarminCure, repeat the process but do NOT use Cure option, but the ORIGINAL option. After I did this I was able to reboot my device normally and I copied the files I received from Lolypop000 back onto the disk.

I have to add, all this started after I formated the device using MacOSX. So, a word from the older and wiser me, don't use OSX to format your Garmin. I do not think the tools available in Windows are available in OSX.

Keywords: Nuvi, Garmin, nonboot, problem, Mac OSX, GarminCure, missing .system, boot problem.
    Last edited by catymag; 29th February 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fixed pic , created title and copied in Tutorial section

Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Looks like I should change the "CURE" caption to something like "Mass Storage Patch", so people would not think it can cure devices on its own.

Master

Also I think with "formating" things should be more careful. Windows formating or RMPrepUSB or whatever programm is used can't create the same garmin file system as the one uploaded in the specific unit!

Edited...
    Last edited by ddabcd277; 29th February 2012 at 10:50 AM.

rosbif

Yes, I formatted the Nuvi in the mistaken belief it would help a pre-existing condition where the unit was booting randomly, IE sometimes it worked, sometimes it bootlooped at map loading. The unit is my dad's, but previously I'd had a 660T and currently I have a TomTom GO Live 950, both of these I'd formatted in the past with no ensuing problems and this had helped with their random reboot issues.

The lesson I've learned here is that checking for hidden folders when backing up the contents is crucial (Thanks lolypop000 for rescuing me from that one) and formatting using a non-windows PC is also fraught with danger (Thanks dasilvarsa for the pointer to rmprepusb post)

Through the use of this forum, its members and gpspassion I finally managed to undo my bad choices at the start.

As with all of this sort of mucking about with proprietary gear, it is a case of YMMV (your mileage may vary) and beware the leopard.

Thanks once more to all who helped.

Quote Originally Posted by kunix View Post
    Looks like I should change the "CURE" caption to something like "Mass Storage Patch", so people would not think it can cure devices on its own.
    Hi Kunix,
    I think that this software that you wrote is wonderful as it makes something that was previously very difficult to do as easy as 123.
    Once the user understands the process that has to be followed it's very simple to use.
    It's obvious that it cannot fix every single fault with a Nuvi but it will fix a large percentage.
    Well done for sharing this valuable tool with the whole world.