Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default Etrex Venture HC Updating maps

Hi all

I got a friend with a Etrex Venture HC GPS. He asked about updating the basemap because it did not have much details.

I took some Mapsource maps to his house and found out i did not know much about the Etrex HC models GPS.

I could not make a backup because when i connected it his Vista PC it did not show up as a hard drive but it did make the sound of something connecting. Is this a Vista issue, should the Etrex HC show up in the list of hard drive like a nuvi does.

Next i could not find what maps were installed to this GPS because i could not find that info in the menus. In Mapsource all that was installed was "Trip and Waypoint Manager V5" and it did not have any option to load its maps from mapsource.
    I installed Michigan Topo maps and then i had the option to load maps from this map set but i was not sure if it would over write his current world basemap and only be a michigan basemap. Since i don't know how the current world basemap was installed (or could be reinstalled if needed) i did not try to load a small selection of maps from the topo maps.

This unit only has 24MB of memory and no SD slot so it will not hold much data.
    I went to the Garmin web site and the maps for sale for his device were the U.S. TOPO 24K maps for East, West, ...

Can anyone help by explaining how this should be done on the Etrex Venture HC model GPS.

I am trying to confirm how i should do it so i don't brick his GPS.
    I assume if i was to load a few selections of maps from the Michigan TOPO to his GPS it would leave world Basemap in place and just overlay the topo info. I could not find any way to select different maps in the GPS.

Thanks
    Rainey

2.    Advertissements

Navigation software expert Etrex Venture HC Updating maps
    Etrex Venture HC Updating mapsEtrex Venture HC Updating mapsEtrex Venture HC Updating maps

You don't have any possibility for deleting a Basemap on this device. Basemap is not available for modification by user!
    You may loading any maps with Mapsource to you device without doubt in crash system! Simple combine maps with limit in 22-23Mb (24Mb only in manual) and download to device. In any case you may switch through menu which map be show in device - basemap or detailed maps above basemap or only only detailed maps without basemap.
    About Garmin web site and U.S. TOPO 24K maps for East, West, ... I assume what you must buy separate a device and the DVD with maps for loading with Mapsource.
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

OK, Well that clears up my fear of over writing his base map.

I have some TOPO maps but not the full U.S. TOPOs. I found link to them but there are torrents at the TPB. I dont like torrents so i will look around for them.

Thanks for you Help

Alexander2010

Venture HC not compatible with NT maps. Don't forget about this.

Master

If I am not mistaken the basemap of Venture HC is on region 3 and can be updated via rgn. Don't forget what Alexander 2010 wrote that Venture HC don't support NT maps.

Navigation software expert Etrex Venture HC Updating maps
    Etrex Venture HC Updating mapsEtrex Venture HC Updating mapsEtrex Venture HC Updating maps

1) Mapsource don't have possibility to access in region 3!
    2) If no routing support it isn't mean what is not compatible with NT maps. Generally single NT map is bigger then 24 Mb so you can see "not compatible" against this device. Read as "strongly not recommended".

I think that Rainey99 is man and he is not afraid of 2 ominous prophecy in above
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?

Thanks for the tips about NT maps guys, It seems i am always learning new stuff.

He is going to try and install some selected map area from the Michigan topo maps i installed on his PC. I will let you know how it goes.
    I found a step by step screen shots of how to change the map in that GPS at another site i sent him the link..

I will let you all know how it goes.