Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
    Navigation software Moderator kunix's Avatar

Tool GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices

Here is a special firmware patcher for creating cure firmwares. Patched firmwares enter the mass storage mode immediately, without going through the normal booting process ( e.g. they don’t display “Loading maps…” and so on). That’s why they don’t crash or hang up because they don't try to load corrupt files, therefore, they can be used for curing. It works even if your device was formatted into NTFS.

WARNING
    1. Don't use GarminCure3.exe if you don't know how to enter pre-boot mode. Entering pre-boot is neccessary to flash firmwares after CURE firmware has been flashed.
    2. Don't flash GVN and Kenwood devices with the CURE firmware, as they don't have a real pre-boot mode very frequently.
    3. Download latest Garmin USB Drivers to your PC if you don't already have them loaded: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    4. Check your device's HWID and compare it to the firmware you intend to use to avoid making a minor problem a permanent one by using an incompatible fw. Read here how to check: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The typical curing algorithm (in general) looks like this:
    1. Flash your device with the CURE firmware (see below for more details). Please note that the CURE firmware cannot boot the device, it can only allow the device to enter Mass Storage Mode and connect to PC. Once MSM is re-enabled corrupt files can be removed or as a last resort a proper re-format done, see below*.
    2. Don’t disconnect your device from the PC. It should enter the mass storage mode and the PC should detect it as a new flash drive.

• If the filesystem on the flash drive is OK then you should try removing/renaming some files that could cause problems. Start from those files that were created/copied last. Don’t forget about making backups.
      • If removing files doesn’t help, or you’ve accidentally formatted the flash drive into NTFS or done an incompatible FAT format (See info re RMPrepUSB below), or its filesystem is corrupted then you should reformat the flash drive into FAT or FAT32 (only much older MSM devices use FAT, newer devices use FAT32). Remember that when your device is cured you can restore most of the missing files by running WebUpdater or GarminExpress.
        *Many users state that the [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] method of formatting is preferable because it's completely compatible with the proprietary Garmin OS. Avoid using Windows built-in format tool (might or might not work so don't risk it). Absolutely avoid using a Mac's format tool because it's almost sure to result in an unsuitable format.
      • Unfortunately, some devices don't boot if the flash drive is totally empty (for example, nuvi 24x0). Then try copying the contents from a backup or healthy device of the same or close model. If even copying from the same model doesn't help then the problem is somewhere else, you need some other cure. Often adding an empty Garmin folder to the root is quite enough with some devices, others such as nuvi 1xxx series will boot entirely empty and create the Garmin folder automatically.
    3. “Safely” disconnect your device from the PC. It should turn off in a few seconds. If it doesn’t then press the power button for at least 30 seconds. Be aware that some devices don’t turn off this way. You should know how to turn your device off if it hangs up.
    4. Flash your device with the ORIGINAL firmware (see below for more details), and see if it boots normally. If it still doesn’t boot then go to step 1.

How to flash your device with the CURE or ORIGINAL firmware:
    1. Download GarminCure3.exe and updater.exe from here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

GarminCure3.exe user interface looks like this:
      [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    2. Download the original firmware if you don’t have it already.
      This link should help you: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
      And this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
      or here:
      Code:
      Please Login or Register to see the links
    3. Run GarminCure3.exe and open the downloaded firmware with it. You can do it by dragging the firmware file into “Input file” box or by typing the path to the file or by pressing the “…” button.
    4. Press “Make firmware” button. Before doing that make sure the right option is selected from “CURE” and ??ORIGINAL”.
    5. If everything is ok, “Processing OK : )” message will be printed and all controls inside “Output file(s)” box will be enabled. If it doesn’t happen, please, let me know.
    6. Then press "Updater.exe" button, which will launch updater.exe ready for flashing the firmware. Also you can drag the firmware files from the rectangle displaying their names.
    7. Then put your device into pre-boot mode and flash the firmware with updater.exe. Search through this forum for what is pre-boot mode and how to flash devices with updater.exe.

Devices that can be cured.
    The tool was tested on nuvi 200 (HWID=660),250,6x0,12xx,13xx,14xx,22x0,23xx,24x0,34xx,37xx,2465,2495,2595, 42,BMW Motorrad Navigator V, zumo 660,Montana, Dakota, etrex30. So it should work for all nuvis.
    Almost all Garmin firmwares are patchable (except some marine GPSmaps and linux-based devices), but this doesn't guarantee successful curing, of course.

Remember: Please note that the CURE firmware will never boot, it can only enter the mass storage mode. After curing flash Original device firmware.

Known bugs and issues:
    1. There is an issue under later Windows OSs if UAC is enabled. If you want GarminCure3.exe to run Updater.exe then GarminCure3.exe should be run as Administrator. But then drag & drop won’t work.
    2. Patched firmwares are stored inside GarminCure3-TEMP folder located near GarminCure3.exe. Don’t forget to delete GarminCure3-TEMP from time to time. Before deleting make sure updater.exe isn’t running.

P.S.
    I would really appreciate if someone PMs me a link to any good article about pre-boot mode and updater.exe. I will add it to the topic EDIT: Garmin pre-boot mode and Updater.exe info here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

It may be worth trying QuickCure3 before using Cure3:

Quote Originally Posted by kunix View Post
    Here is one more cure, a ''universal" one, it doesn't need the original firmware, and it is faster in the practical use.
    It's a little bit weaker than GarminCure3, because it needs to find the bootloader in the memory, which is not always easy.

How to use it:
    1) rename [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] appropriately and flash it
    2) don't disconnect the USB
    3) the device should enter the mass storage mode
    4) disconnect the USB and reboot the device to boot in the normal mode

It's still a deep alpha version, so it can fail for many devices. It was tested only on nuvi 6xx, 13xx/14xx, and 37xx. Bug reports and success stories are welcome.
    I think you can safely use it, but I don't guarantee this. So if you are afraid to flash this cure, then better use GarminCure3.
    If it proves to work then some day I will add it to GarminCure3.
    From "Bricked my 765T" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesikan View Post
    Using quickcure, I got the device into mass storage mode and deleted the offending map. ........

See also this detailed guide
    Last edited by Neil; 14th August 2015 at 07:58 PM.

2.    Advertissements

Master

This is just incredible!!! Thank you for this wonderful tool kunix! I have waited for such thing for a long time.

Important User GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices
    GarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devicesGarminCure3 tool - the new way to create cure firmwares for Garmin devices

Yes great! Thanks, thread has been stuck

Firmwares here too
    Updater (with instructions)
    Preeboot mode
    Last edited by catymag; 5th January 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added some links
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

I'm not sure it's really great. At least it's better than renaming file extension strings in firmwares. But it's potentially weaker than Alexander's method (the other one, not 2.bin). Thorough testing is required to know for sure. At least I was able to recover 13xx, 22xx, and 37xx from formatting into NTFS.

Thank you so much, tried many other things for 2 days.
    With your tool my problem was solved in 1 hour.

Rihana1
    I'm glad to be helpful. What's your device model? EDITED: oh, I see, it's 13xx.
    Last edited by kunix; 5th January 2012 at 07:33 PM.

I am using a 1310

Master

@ kunix

Question to kunix. Think this information will be important. Can you write which device firmwares can GarminCure3 patch? For example can the program make cure firmwares for garmin "Linux" devices? Think no. What about the new series nuvi 30, 40 and 50? Can the program patch their firmware? Me I haven't seen such a device but from your post in a different topic I have understood that this is not possible. What about garmin handheld devices - Oregon, Montana, Dakota? Think this tool will also work for them.

Think it is a good idea to write for which devices this tool is compatible and with which it was tested! Also one read me file inside the tool will be of help to many who do not track garmin forums.
    Last edited by ddabcd277; 6th January 2012 at 08:12 AM.

aekhong

I agree with ddabcd277. Is this tool universal ? (at least for all Nuvi ?)
    (Thanks for nice tool)

ddabcd277, aekhong
    Added some info about supported devices. Will add a manual a bit later.
    I don't have any handheld devices, so I need someone to test it. The tool should be safe, because it doesn't add any functionality into firmware, it's just an old plain mass storage mode.
    Nuvi 30,40,50 should be ok. The only problem with that devices is digitally signed GCD (not encrypted, just signed), but we just don't use it here.