Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    turboccc

I agree. Maybe you should take it, but you may get a refurbished 270. They may have a few in stock. So, no gain in the end.

About RGNVoiceEditor: no worry, you didn't say so. I did! So far, I did not not have any proof someone could use it to gain something useful.

2.    Advertissements

Even a refurbished 270 (battery NOT 4 years old plus a 12 month warranty) for free sounds OK.
    I'm just putting things back to how they were when I first bought it....old maps, voices, vehicles,
    then I'll have to 'screw it up' again.
    There are 10 types of people in the world.....those who understand binary and those who don't.

I put all the old maps etc back in the 270 with the intention of 'screwing it up' when it was back to
    original condition but I managed to screw it up (easily done by me) by accidentally booting up with a
    GUPDATE.GCD set as version 5.00 instead of 500.
    It now shows GARMIN.....blank screen.....GARMIN......blank screen and won't switch off and
    the USB connection is not recognised by the PCB.

So, it's gone back to Garmin...........I'll let you know what I get back in '10 working days'
    There are 10 types of people in the world.....those who understand binary and those who don't.

Great post guys enjoying it.
    Warranty, Garmin Aus recently replaced my unit 1390 cause sound kept dropping out on start up I later found out it was a software issue that they should have known about, it was 5 updates behind. The new one did the same till I updated it. But It was free and sounds as it does above.
    Languages, have to be similiar to the one you are replacing to work properly I recently visited the states and even though American is close to Australian common problems were Pronounciation such as in Aus take the one hundred and 5 in USA take the 105. As well as rds, cres, st we have circuits (Cr) Avenues (Av) when I run American voice in Aus it will say Cr or Av Instead of circiuts or avenues theres a few other differences I noticed aswell. When I did mess with voices they jumbled the order of things Thats why most voices say to replace American. Simple solution in Aus is if you like the Male voice then replace the Female or vice versa but my gps only has Female voice for American. My Wife hates it.
    Any help wanted with Aussie files drop me a line and I will do my best to help

Paul

Hi Paul. Didn't have the "Circuits & Avenues" problem with my 270 because it wasn't Text to Speech.
    All the phrases were pre recorded and no street names were spoken.
    The problem I found, if using a 'very foreign language' was that sometimes words were missing such as
    "Turn right in (blank) feet".

Not sure what I will get back from Garmin because the Nuvi 270 is obsolete. Also the internal maps (UK, Europe,
    North America & Canada -2008 versions) all fitted into the internal 3 GB whereas the 2011 maps are too big.
    So unless they send me a 270 with 2008 maps, I don't know what they will do.

A Nuvi 270 has been sent back to me.......a refurbished unit which appears to be OK.
    I've checked the battery.....it lasted over 3 hours.....so that looks OK.
    The maps for UK, Europe and N. America are the 2009 versions because anything larger won't fit in the internal memory.
    The poi files are the usual "cyclops samples".

I've tried entering the latest 22 July 2011 Cyclops data with unl files and although they do appear on 'System/About' list
    they did not display anything on the roads which I know do have speed cameras. Thinking I was perhaps missing some
    'icon file', I downloaded the free cyclops trial from the Garmin site but still no cameras on the map. The only way I
    can get the 'camera icon' to show is if I copy an old 2007 version of a file called poi.gpi from an old backup. But I
    assume that this is 4 year old data.

Important User Voice Name & Language Byte
    Voice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language Byte

have you tried these ones with modified FID ? post 66
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    regarding maps , you can try new ones, but a file fitting your memory made with Mapsource, sending to gps just the regions you need
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Yes catymag, I've tried the latest cyclops speedcams, both with modified FID and without. That's why I thought that
    I would try the Garmin Free Trial version in case something like the icons were missing....also with it being 'legal', I can
    ask Garmin what's wrong.

Regarding the maps, I'm happy with N. America on a separate SD card and UK with Europe on the internal 3GB.

EDIT:
    I've just realised that this is bit 'off topic' for the thread name. Should I have started a new thread?
    Last edited by Channelman; 31st July 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Important User Voice Name & Language Byte
    Voice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language ByteVoice Name & Language Byte

np, you can post about cyclops in cyclops thread, could be better to have a reply
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Thanks again catymag, but I've answered the question myself now by experimentation.

The cyclops cameras and warnings do show and sound when the route is DRIVEN or SIMULATED and
    only show on the map at this time. So, bottom line, they work just fine without cluttering the map.

I do have another query (Oh No......I hear you say) about other points of interest (not cameras)
    but I'll use another thread.