Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
    Member +

Default Garmin Nuvi 775T ruined

Help!
    After getting assurances from this forum that it was safe to Update the system software of my garmin Nuvi 775T, the unit is frozen in the PC Connect mode.
    I cannot Switch it on
    I cannot switch it off
    Nothing happens when I charge it or connect it to the PC
    It doesnt register in My Computer.
    Cos its frozen, I cannot even do a hard reset.
    There is no reset button on the unit.
    GPS now useless.
    Any thoughts?

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin Nuvi 775T ruined
    Garmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruined

Can you go in preboot mode ?

1. Power OFF your Nuvi.
    2. Press and keep holding the most right upper corner of the LCD screen
    3. Power ON your Nuvi but DON NOT release your finger either from Power button nor from LCD screen (keep both pressed until the procedure ends)
    4. Nuvi will boot in Pre-Boot mode.

I move your post to the proper section
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

aekhong

Default Need more info.

As you said "I cannot Switch it on
    I cannot switch it off"

1). What did you do before ? ( - flashed with original firmware or modified firmware )
    2).How about Nuvi battery power level before flashing?
    3).In case of modified firmware - Did you flash with the same hwid boot.bin ?
    4).Did you try to slide power botton for at least 20 seconds ?
    5)....

Member +

OK
    I think the problem may be with what I did later.
    Firstly, I updated the nuvi to Firmware 4.00 via Webupdater.
    As far as I remember, the Nuvi installed this update normally once I disconnected it from the PC.
    Immediately after, I then updated the Mapping software to CN Europe 2012.20 via Mapsource & put its gmap3d image (now as gmap3d1 as I already had an existing 3d image from CN Europe 2011) into the Nuvi Root directory thru My Computer in accordance with instructions on this forum, also put in the JVC file.
    I left it to transfer.
    When I returned, and disconnected the Nuvi from the PC, the Nuvi remained in PC transfer mode, and its then that i couldnt switch it off.
    The screen is totally unresponsive, and doesnt respond to the Power/Lock switch.
    I connected it to an external charger to see if that would give it a boost or unlock it, but no change there.
    I reconnected it to the PC, also that did nothing, and now, as the unit has locked up, it doesnt show at all in My computer.
    Its in limbo.

Battery was fully charged, I didnt interupt the installation, and the unit did install the updates once removed from the PC.

Caty, I cannot get into any mode, as both screen and power button totally unresponsive.

Now not sure if it was the update or the transfer of gmap3d & JVC files that has it locked up.

I'm considering just letting the nuvi battery run down, cos I cant do anything else with it.

Really dont want to send it back to garmin because if they look inside, they will see a fair few maps that cannot be accounted for on my account with them, if you know what I mean.

Navigation software expert Garmin Nuvi 775T ruined
    Garmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruined

So the update of the firmware cannot be the root cause, on the other side, never heard that a map can cause the problem.
    What happens when u plug it into the car panel? I somehow believe its the battery

Important User Garmin Nuvi 775T ruined
    Garmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruinedGarmin Nuvi 775T ruined

I think the firmware update went fine, probably the transfer of the two files you copied later caused the problem.
    Is it stuck with the usb image even if is it not connected to your pc?
    You can try to use another cable, it made the trick with mine 1200 .
    Wait for the battery to run down and then try to reconnect it usb-
    If you can regain the usb mode , delete the 2 files:
    If you can get the preboot mode ,make a service cure
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    for .JCV and .IMG
    Let us know how it goes.
    Garmin wont look into your nuvi, they will send to reflash and send you a refurbished one ,I guess.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

aekhong

It seems your nuvi has no battery power.
    Just try to re-charge with charger for hours or try to re-charge with USB port.
    And hope you will re-open nuvi again.

Member +

Hi, This all happened yesterday and I left it charging overnight with no sucess. Tried this morning at 5am before I left for work and it was still frozen.

Yes, its the PC Icon on the screen of the Nuvi, visable at all times; no change whether I plug it into the PC, AC Adapter or Car cradle.

Tried it on the car charger with no sucess.

Tried 3 differant USB cables.

Best option to let it run down and switch off by itself, hopefully I'll be able to get to preboot and Hard Reset.

Its a pity I dont have the tiny Torx socket to open the case up, then I cound just remove and reinstall the battery, and it would reboot.

I'll let you know what happens.

Torx T5 is the size of the screw holding the back on.. I just bought one for $3.99 at Sears to replace the battery in my 765T..

Member +

Thanx everyone. Let the battery completly run down, the system shut down and I charged it fully and it seems OK now. So, not ruined after all.;-)