Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Important User How to get a Bluechart Map in Mapsource
    How to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in Mapsource

thanks, I copied your post from this thread
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    here
    A bluechart VAW005R - The Gulf and Red Sea view in Basecamp

PhDRE
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

2.    Advertissements

Swinglish

How about the other way around?
    The lake I am primarily interested in has no depth data on the Bluechart Vision map of the area. I wonder if the TOPO map might have the lake contours. Any way to display this map in Homeport, and, more importantly, any way to eventually display it on a chart plotter? I have the TOPO map of interested unlocked on an SD card, but it won't display in Homeport, so I'm guessing it probably won't display on a chart plotter. Any ideas?

I think I found an answer in this tutorial: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] at least for homeport compatibility. With such a hugely informative forum it takes a lot of digging but so far my issues are all seeming to be resolved. I will be more patient in the future and only post when I really get stuck.
    Last edited by Swinglish; 7th April 2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: may have found solution

How to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in Mapsource

Which map ?? Have you tried Basecamp ? Look at your device map compatibility on Garmin site.
    edit :I saw you solved
    usually can find easily replies here
    or here
    or in other sections indexes
    l9ebnsm

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Swinglish

Not entirely solved... I don't actually have the chartplotter yet, because I won't buy it if I can't get the maps I need to work on it. I am looking at the GPSmap 421. The North Norway Bluechart Map doesn't include detailed info. for the lake I live on, so I was hoping I could use the TOPO map with the chartplotter. Garmin lists only the TOPO Alaska Enhanced as compatible. I would ideally like to display 'Garmin TOPO Sweden Friluftskartan Pro v2 - Norra Norrland' on the plotter. I succeeded in getting the split to display in homeport by following the above tutorial, but not to do so via SD card- so I don't think the chartplotter will be able to display it. The original, unlocked .img won't pull up from SD in homeport, the split images on SD cause crash to desktop in homeport. Any ideas?

To see topo maps must use Basecamp,if GPSmap 421 dont lists 'Garmin TOPO Sweden Friluftskartan Pro v2 - Norra Norrland' as compatible, it wont show it with all its features.
    I can see the GPSMAP 620 and GPSMAP 640 in the map compatibility list or some nuvis, like series 22xx , 12xx,14xx, 37xx, 500 and obviously outdoor gps units
    l9ebnsm

Kanopus

You can change map type with gmaptool. Load your img to gmaptool, set advanced and experimental options, go to write tab and try to set TRE parameters to 0-4-23-empty. This will change your map into marine type, but I'm not sure which type exactly. Than you can try to view it form SD with HomePort.
    Other values for TRE parameters that you can try are 0-6-31-empty or 0-6-32-empty

Swinglish

Quote Originally Posted by Kanopus View Post
    Other values for TRE parameters that you can try are 0-6-31-empty or 0-6-32-empty
    That did the trick. 0-4-23-empty didn't work, but the other two did, with no noticeable difference between them in homeport. They both open up right off the SDcard like a bluechart does, so hopefully it'll work the same way in the plotter. Thanks!

Swinglish

So I have the chart plotter now, and I have to say homeport is not much of an emulator. The original TOPO map opens up just the same on the chart plotter as the TRE converted maps (not so in homeport) and there appears to be no difference in map display what so ever. The only difference seems to be in functionality: the converted maps let you access the Bluechart Vision options, such as the 3D navigation and 'fish eye view' while the original TOPO does not allow these options. I'm guessing the operation of these features is going to be quite limited because the map lacks bathymetric data, but maybe with the depth sounder connected... I will update once I have these maps out on the water to see how they work in real application, but I'm happy that the TOPO will display on this plotter, because the factory installed world basemap is pretty much useless.

Anybody who knows how to get rid of the G2 fishing chart contours, so only the "real" bluechart data is displayed in MapSource?

Found a better way than mapsource, it seems that Garmin has yet another application called nRoute. This is very much the same as mapsource, but you can connect a gps in realtime and use the system as a chartplotter. This is super for yaching and the bluecharts do not show the annoying fishing chart contours.
    When maps are open for mapsource, they are as well for nRoute.
    It seem to work with all kind of garmin maps. (TOPO, CN, Bluechart +(G2 , Vision))
    nRoute can be downloaded from Garmins site.

Navigation software expert How to get a Bluechart Map in Mapsource
    How to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in MapsourceHow to get a Bluechart Map in Mapsource

You need to find separate submaps for fishing chart contours in gmupsupp! I did that many year ago but forget as.
    Try make a separate set for MapSource with submaps *.img which have a different prio (priority) in gmaptool log. I mean that in each mapset only maps with equal prio (priority). And see result on screen...
    Garmin, how much is 30 pieces of silver for Judas today? Were they worthy for crucifix of GPSPower?