Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

The re upload is now complete and I have edited the original post with the new download link.

2.    Advertissements

Lake District now seems to work for me on oregon. (Thanks)

Hi Again

Have tried the new version and this still seems to be 1:50K scale on my edge 800.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also zooming below 500ft is very blurry. My Memory Map software on my PDA is able to render maps perfectly down to a much smaller range than this. Is this a problem with the Edge 800 or is the Discoverer map just not great when fully zoomed in?

The map is blurry because it is a rastermap. To explain the difference between a vectormap and a rastermap:

If you want to draw a line in a vectormap the you "draw" a geometric point from which the line starts and a geometric point where the line ends. And if you enlarge the map the points and the line still remain geometric points and lines which have no width and are always clean points and lines. The size of the mapfile in bits is very small and it does not matter if the map covers 5 meter by 5 meter or 50 kilometer by 50 kilometer. A second line: mapfile is double in bits. A map with say 37 lines is 37 times as big as a map with one line.

If you draw a point in a rastermap you have a raster and you must fill one field of the raster with black colour and all the other fields with white colour. From some distance you see a black point in a white field. To draw a line you must fill many many fields of the raster which give - looked at from some distance - a line. If you get closer you see the "fields" and therefore a rastermap looks blurry if you enlarge it too much. The size of the mapfile in bits increases dramatically if the map covers a bigger area as you need more fields of the raster or if you use a more fine raster. A map with say 37 lines instead of one line is only a little big bigger than a map with one line for only the information "white" is exchanged against the information "black" for the fields of the raster where the lines are.
    Last edited by fluorescent; 3rd February 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks for this explanation fluorescent, I assume from this that Memory Map OS Maps are Vector Maps and the Discoverer is a Raster. I may be being picky but compared with my MM OS maps on the PDA the Edge is poor at rendering the map detail. That said its still better in detail terms than the old Garmin Topo Map.

Does anyone else have a comment on the 1:50K v.s. 1:25K issue I raised, while I'm grateful to the original poster for making this available is appears to be a 1:50K and in that regard no different from the full GB Discoverer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Trees View Post
    Does anyone else have a comment on the 1:50K v.s. 1:25K issue I raised, while I'm grateful to the original poster for making this available is appears to be a 1:50K and in that regard no different from the full GB Discoverer.
    On my Oregon 450 I need to zoom into 150yds before I see the 1:25K map level. This seems to be the standard for Garmin GB Discoverer Maps.

Cheers Mordorf

I tested this tonight and at 500ft zoom the map does indeed switch to 1:25K view, so obviously has both 1:50K & 1:25K on the same map. I guess this is just my ignorance of Garmin conventions. On Memory Map which I'm familiar with on both PC & PDA if you load a 1.25K then it stays at 1.25K regardless of zoom.

On the negative side it would be nice to have the Garmin zoomed out a little more and still be able to benefit from 1:25K. At 500ft zoom you can see so little of the surrounding area that plotting a course is more difficult.

Cheers Mordorf

Lake District map works fine on my Oregon 450t. Went for a low level walk today in the miserable rain and wind around Nether Wasdale and it's great. Far better than the 1:50k for this neck of the woods. As you state though it only cuts into the 25k map when you zoom to 500ft. Does anyone know any way round this? Not a major downer but otherwise fantastic.

I've now discovered how to make my own maps in the JNX format which are much, much better than the Garmin ones. I have configured the zoom levels to suit my requirements, the maps are clearer and seem to load quicker. The only down side is the size, the Lake District map is 2.44GB as against 396MB for the Garmin Discoverer but this does contain both 1:50K and 1:25K mapping. I can have any area I like, all for just a little bit of my time. For anyone interested I use the below software to achieve this.

Mobile Atlas Creator (use Multimap OS maps and save as Oziexplorer format)
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MPAC2MAPC
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You do need to use hacked firmware but I have not found any adverse effects to this. The hacked firmware is linked in the initial post of this thread.

That would be very nice in deed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordorf View Post
    If the image was corrupt it would be corrupt for everyone not just you. Other people have used it without any problems.

If anyone else feels like sharing any GB Discoverer 1:25k maps that would be nice