Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VIP Master
    nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80
    nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80

Default nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80

Got the below while checking for updates from MyGarmin back on Dec 20 2010.

After noticing only one of my 855's got this firmware I called Garmin Techs and they said there were two chipsets used in the 855's and the firmware you will be offered is dependent on the chipset. I have two 855's and only my newer(by serial #) unit received the 4.80 firmware.

Most likely related to the freezing some 855 users are experiencing?

nuvi855fw480
    Last edited by Texas Star; 2nd January 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: make image "stick'

2.    Advertissements

Hi
    I have Nuvi 255W
    I am not suffering from any issues, do you advise me to update the firmware?
    Thanks

VIP Master
    nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80
    nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibal 007 View Post
    I really can't answer if you should update or not. Without remembering the specific model numbers, I have read some posts here(elsewhere?) that their owners have downgraded to certain revisions of firmware. For whatever preference or reason. Yet seeing those posts didn't pertain to the 855's that I own that info "went in one ear and out the other'.

And because of the above you really should direct your question to other 255w owners.

Sorry I can't be of more help ...........

Important User nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80
    nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80nuvi 855 Firmware 4.80

Hi
    I have Nuvi 255W
    Thanks
    May be you can take a look at changelogs

255 latest FWs changelogs

Changes made from version 4.40 to 5.00:
    1.Enhanced compatibility with PC applications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes made from version 4.30 to 4.40:
    1.Corrected issue with unit not speaking at appropriate time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes made from version 4.10 to 4.30:
    1.Improve handling of the situation where overlapping map data is present on the device.
    2.Added additional voice support.

Changes made from version 3.60 to 4.10:
    1.Corrected issue with Retail Map Update compatibility.
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

Thanks Texas Star and Catymag

I'll see what I'll decide and let you know

I am just scared that it I'll not be able to use my " legal" downloaded maps

aekhong

Thanks Texas Star and Catymag

I'll see what I'll decide and let you know

I am just scared that it I'll not be able to use my " legal" downloaded maps
    Why not ?
    Don't worry...no problem at all.

Thanks aekhong

Just wanted to inform you that I updated the software from Version 5.30 to 7.10 and seems everything is still working

Did not try it on street yet but looks fine

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
    After noticing only one of my 855's got this firmware I called Garmin Techs and they said there were two chipsets used in the 855's and the firmware you will be offered is dependent on the chipset. I have two 855's and only my newer(by serial #) unit received the 4.80 firmware.

Most likely related to the freezing some 855 users are experiencing?
    Can you upload the file in Garmin/Update directory? I am wondering what changed. I can't seemed to find 4.80 on the garmin site.

Member +

My Nuvi 855 has/had the freezing problem. I went to the Web Updater and it told me that I had the latest 4.7 version. Since I had the problem, I went to "My Garmin" and it told me there was an update available. I did the update and don't know if it corrected the problem or not. Time will tell.

I think the Garmin website has more than its share of glitches. I have no idea what it updated (took a long time) but checking the GPS itself, it says I still have version 4.7.

I think when you update via "myGarmin", it will update the voices on you device. If you look under the voice folder, you will see some of your voice files will have same timestamp as when you did upgrade via myGarmin.

I am hoping someone will share their *.update file under Garmin/Update directory for 4.80 to see what is the different from 4.70.