Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MapSource or BaseCamp?

Witch program do you prefer to use for your GPS? I have a 276C, 60CSx and just buy a 62ST. For the last GPS they don`t write anything about MapSource anymore only BaseCamp. I figure out that CityNav2010.2 works in MS (unlocked) but in BC the maps shows "unauthorized". Can I do anything for make them unlocked in BC?
    It`s look like MS work for transfer maps to my 62ST anyway.
    Witch program do you work in?
    //G62ST

2.    Advertissements

Ballebar

When Garmin introduced BaseCamp it was only for maps with DEM layers. Now you can view almost all maps except marine charts. The best feature is that you can view IMG-maps (like gmapsupp.img) directly with BaseCamp. It works if the maps resides on a attached Garmin GPS unit in storage mode or with maps on USB memory readers. Files created with MapSource needs modification to set MS flag = 0 which can be done by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

I prefer to use MapSource with genuine MapSource maps and possibly BaseCamp to read IMG maps or MapSource maps with DEM layers in 3D simulation.
    Use [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for marine charts like BlueChart g2 Vision.

About "unauthorized" maps
    Spoiler: CLICK
    In both cases you will need the patched variants of [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] if the MapID >= 2200. That's to overcome the GMA protection with digital signature files. GMA files are Garmin's new way to protect their maps from unauthorized copying. The GMA digital signature is unique for a specific unit and only issued to the original licensed customer.
    If you transfer a map with MapID >= 2200 to your new 62ST you must either have the genuine legal license or remove the locking completely with one of the unlockers [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

The 25-char unlock code is not fully functional (it's only unlocked but not authorized) with newer firmware if MapID >= 2200 and the genuine GMA file is missing.
    Last edited by Neil; 25th March 2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: updated links.

Great info Ballebar. Thank you.

Thank`s for great information. I have one question more about this program. If I use the patched BaseCamp in your link for downloading is it possible to get another laungauge like for an example Swedish or did it automaticle downloading in English? Thank`s again for all help.

Ballebar

@garmin62

First you have to install BaseCamp v3.0.6 (the current release) from Garmin. That install includes several language DLLs including Swedish.
    Then just backup the original BaseCamp.exe and use the patched v3.0.6 EXE instead. The path would normally be like "C:\Program Files\Garmin\BaseCamp".
    If you have Swedish settings it will be Swedish even with the patched EXE since it uses the DLL files for language support.

Great Info Ballebar. If you want to make huting borders for the Gps which program is best Mapsource or Basecamp. It would nice to do that for avoiding angry hunting neighbors. I have Basecamp 3.1.1 installed now?

Default Basecamp versus Mapsource

Hello folks,
    I'm quite new to garmin gps systems, but was quite happy to find many usefull topo-maps and tips & tricks to open them in Mapsource and to use them on my Oregon450.

But what is the difference or advantage using Basecamp instead of Mapsource?
    Only the possibility to see some 3d-view on the pc?

Basecamp seems to be much slower in loading...

Kanopus

You can manage your waypoints and tracks on your Oregon.
    BaseCamp can display Custom Maps together with vector maps, and it support Discoverer maps too.
    With BaseCamp you can use maps directly form your GPS.

Important User MapSource or BaseCamp?
    MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?MapSource or BaseCamp?

moved here and merged
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    some other infos here
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    l9ebnsm
    You have to navigate to get to the good.

Galaxy S5 Kitkat 4.4.2 / Nuvi1200->1250 / Nuvi3790T->34xx / Nuvi 2200 / Nuvi 66 / Oregon 600

It's my question also, thanks!