Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.

I have a Nuvi 855 which I wanted to use again. I tried updating the firmware but my laptop suddenly powered down. Now I can only see the Garmin Logo in the GPS. I can do a Pre-boot but that's about it.

I have followed and downloaded all the tools:
    GarminCure3
    GarminMapUpdater
    Firmware - I have tried looking for my model online but I can only see a .exe which I can't use in GarminCure3

I downloaded a .rgn Nuvi8xx_regionfileonly_470.rgn and tried using it in GarminCure3 which I then got an error message.

Processing C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\Garmin\nuvi8xx_regionfileonly__470.rgn
    This is a RGN file.
    got an exception:
    XRgnSection::Load(): REGION_HEADER.const52!=0x52 at offset=0000002D

Processing FAILED

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advanced

I was also advised that the gps I have is running with a Linux software? Any other fixes I can try?

Thanks

2.    Advertissements

Important User Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.
    Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.

It might be that the existing firmware on the device was just erased (first part of an update) and the new fw then not loaded (second part) rather than being present but corrupt and bricking the device. Have you tried to simply re-load the firmware by flashing the RGN file in preboot using Updater.exe?

If the 885 is seen in Mass Storage Mode by your PC you could also try to load the EXE by running it normally. You can get the EXE from here:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry since I am not familiar about the process but when I connect the nuvi to the computer it doesn't recognize anymore as mass storage.

As for "Have you tried to simply re-load the firmware by flashing the RGN file in preboot using Updater.exe?" How do I do this? Is the Updater.exe the same with the GarminCure 3? If its not do you know where I can download it?

Thank you.

Updater.exe is 'built-into' the Cure3 application so you can indeed use it to flash original firmware to a device usually. The actual updater program is made by Garmin, you can download it direct if you wish:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links

I tried doing it using the Garmin Cure, but I get the message:

I downloaded a .rgn Nuvi8xx_regionfileonly_470.rgn and tried using it in GarminCure3 which I then got an error message.

Processing C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\Garmin\nuvi8xx_regionfileonly__470.rgn
    This is a RGN file.
    got an exception:
    XRgnSection::Load(): REGION_HEADER.const52!=0x52 at offset=0000002D

Processing FAILED

DO you have any link for a step by step guide to use the Updater.exe?

Thanks

Hmm. I may have mislead you there. I forgot that you don't have a GCD file to work with, you only have an RGN.

There are detailed instructions for using Updater.exe in point "8)" [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Do you think it will work with the steps that you gave me?

Thanks

It likely will work if my theory stated in Post #2 is correct. If the device is 'bricked' by incompletely loaded/erased firmware then re-flashing via the RGN file in preboot with Updater.exe should restore your 855 to working order. I cannot guarantee that of course and so anything you do must be at your own risk entirely. As shown by the lack of other members posting here, most 'normal' Garmin users such as myself know very little about the inner workings of these Linux-based devices of which Garmin produced very few models several years back. Usually a device running standard proprietary Garmin firmware (which Garmin calls 'system software') having an incomplete or erased fw region will display a start-up message "System Software Missing". In such a case these steps do fix that problem. In your case , I simply don't know sorry.

Member + Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.

Default How the nuvi 885t is turned off correctly. Because it is always in suspension.

How the nuvi 885t is turned off correctly. Because it is always in suspension.
    Como se apaga correctamente el nuvi 885t. Porque queda siempre en suspencion.
    Gracias...

Member + Garmin Nuvi 855 Frozen Screen problem.

Default Garmin Nuvi 855 / 885 Frozen Screen problem in the GARMIN logo.

Now I can only see the Garmin Logo in the GPS. I can do a Pre-boot but that's about it.
    Does anyone have the solution or firmware?
    Native Spanish language.
    TNK!
    Post moved from new thread. Please don't open another thread when you've already posted for help regarding an existing problem in this older thread.