Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

if I only talk about device no.2 as it is the least dealt with
    1. update through Garmin Express - success updating (on screen) but does only show logo when starting, then shuts off
    2. updated with updater.exe using 172201000410.rgn (converted Nuvi24x725x7,China_GCDfileonly__410.gcd) - still same result, successful update but does not show anything but the logo.
    this is where I stand with device two
    No luck using Asian launcher tool as it does not find the GPS in pre-boot
    on top of that, I seem to not be able to use the same PC to update the GPS twice - no communication seccond time (I have now used 4 different PC's for these PC's (2 updates each)

2.    Advertissements

Important User Nuvi 2567 failed after update
    Nuvi 2567 failed after updateNuvi 2567 failed after update

It seems pretty clear both devices were bricked by GarminExpress loading files to them that are incompatible with an Asian device, maybe a voice file. I already suspected that the Asian Garmin Updater doesn't communicate in pre-boot so that's no real surprise.

Best just deal with one device at a time, go with No 2 as you said. It's good that you have pre-boot access and the following is what I'd now do if that device was in my possession:

Try QuickCure3 to enable MSM if you haven't already, if that doesn't work then move to Cure3, make the cured 172201000410.rgn and load with Updater.exe in pre-boot. When you have MSM access, make a full backup of the internal memory including the .System folder, then look for any files that have been added by GE and delete them from the device, identify the suspect files by date and time. Hopefully you won't have to format and start again but if the file system looks corrupted or it's too confusing to know which files to remove then use only RMPrepUSB for re-format, then you can restore some basic (i.e. safe) files from the backup if required (some 2xxx series devices won't boot empty). Then load original 172201000410.rgn, if it boots up normally use Laucher.exe to invoke the Asian Garmin Updater program to check for updates and replacement files. Don't use GarminExpress.

Don't proceed unless you fully understand the above. Please ask questions first if unsure. All is at your risk of course.

I have now used quickcure3, cured and original 172201000410.rgn - every time I get successful update (quickcure only takes a second or two while the others more like half a minute or so), every time the GPS restarts after the update and then shuts down, never visible to the PC except for if I turn it on in pre-boot mode then I can hear the "ding-dong" as when you plug in every other USB device.
    Only things I'm not sure about, even though I have read a lot on this forum, is the use of quickcure3, what I did was to rename it to 172201000410.rgn and loaded it to updater.exe - thought that was the only way. Also, after this, it should be enough to just turn on the GPS to have access the file system??

Got info from G7ToWin, images[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Finally got the GPS working, using another file but now when trying to use updater I get the connection error (I also formatted the drive), GPS is working fine but updates is not working.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by neyd; 7th August 2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more info

I have now used quickcure3, cured and original 172201000410.rgn - every time I get successful update (quickcure only takes a second or two while the others more like half a minute or so), every time the GPS restarts after the update and then shuts down, never visible to the PC except for if I turn it on in pre-boot mode then I can hear the "ding-dong" as when you plug in every other USB device.
    Whether you use QuickCure or Cure3 to enable Mass Storage Mode, you MUST either remove the wrong file loaded by GarminExpress OR re-format with RMPrepUSB as I said earlier. Then you load original firmware to enable the device to boot. It will never boot fully with a cure firmware loaded, that's it's whole purpose to stop the boot process without loading corrupt or wrong files so that they can be removed or the file system re-formatted. Once that's done, then original firmware MUST be loaded so that the device can operate normally and be updated.
    Only things I'm not sure about, even though I have read a lot on this forum, is the use of quickcure3, what I did was to rename it to 172201000410.rgn and loaded it to updater.exe - thought that was the only way. Also, after this, it should be enough to just turn on the GPS to have access the file system??
    Yes, the usage is simply re-name QuickCure3.rgn appropriately as you said and flash as detailed in the cure thread. It doesn't use the actual device's firmware at all. It relies on finding a copy of bootloader in the device memory, if that's not possible then it doesn't work and you must use cured firmware to enable MSM to access the file system. Both QuickCure3 and Cure3 when loaded result in the boot stalled on the logo screen and the device will stay like that until original firmware is loaded.

I don't think WebUpdater plays nicely with Asian devices the same as you've found with GarminExpress. It also seems that you've got the two devices confused going by the different UIDs shown in G7ToWin and WebUpdater. You should remove those UIDs from the pics by the way, as it'd be easy for someone to use either or both UIDs to 'clone' a device. As evidence of that, see images below.

Try to update it using the Asian-specific tool Garmin Updater (which is not WebUpdater). Garmin Updater was initially downloaded and invoked by starting Laucher.exe. If you've already got Garmin Updater you'll find the EXE to start it in C:\Program Files(x86)\Garmin\Garmin Updater. Look for "Garmin Updater.exe" and double-click it to run it. If you have a 32-bit OS then it'll be 'Program Files' without the 'x86'.

Using Updater

Don't worry, I cancelled the update and deleted everything. I simply wanted to show you and other users how potentially dangerous it is to leave UIDs in the public view. Anyway, that will give you an insight into how to use the Asian Updater, step-by-step. After the updates have downloaded, you'll get another screen asking you to remove some files from the device (as you clearly have Mass Storage Mode now accessible you can do that) and then proceed. The files that were loaded to the PC will then be transferred in proper form to the device.

You must have had it with me by now

I have no problem loading the 3.40 firmware, GPS works and all, as soon as I use Garmin Updater (as you described), or load the 4.10 software directly, or format the drive and load the ORIGINAL files I had from backup (why would this not work...), the GPS does not startup, just shows the logo as when initially updating through Garmin Express, getting a bit frustrating.

I might handle the older firmware but only if I can load newest European maps...which is still to be learned.

Hopefully my last edit
    Went through update 94MB, when told to restart the device -held down power until restarted and loaded fine, still say v3.40, checked update again, now 36MB, same procedure, still v3.40 - perhaps thats the last version for this device??? but nut sure why I always have more updates, without software upgrade

I have now successfully loaded 3.40 to both devices, bought Icelandic map and changed the EN_US keyboard to something more like the icelandic one.
    If they continue to work like this then I have no worries.
    At the end I would like to thank you very much for your patience and your help.
    Last edited by neyd; 7th August 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neyd View Post
    You must have had it with me by now
    Not at all! This turned into a fascinating investigation.

I have no problem loading the 3.40 firmware, GPS works and all, as soon as I use Garmin Updater (as you described), or load the 4.10 software directly, or format the drive and load the ORIGINAL files I had from backup (why would this not work...), the GPS does not startup, just shows the logo as when initially updating through Garmin Express, getting a bit frustrating.
    Yes, a bit mysterious. A couple of questions if you can still be bothered to answer:
    • The Version 3.40 firmware, where did you find that? Could you give me a link to it please? I'd like to study it.
    • In the GarminDevice.xml file from the Garmin folder of your ORIGINAL backup, what does it read for 'xxx' in <SoftwareVersion>xxx</SoftwareVersion>? (You can open the xml file in a web browser or any text editior)

I might handle the older firmware but only if I can load newest European maps...which is still to be learned.
    There'll be no problem if you purchase them from Garmin or a legitimate Garmin reseller. I think any version of the firmware would need to be patched to use any unlocked maps: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Hopefully my last edit
    Went through update 94MB, when told to restart the device -held down power until restarted and loaded fine, still say v3.40, checked update again, now 36MB, same procedure, still v3.40 - perhaps thats the last version for this device??? but nut sure why I always have more updates, without software upgrade
    Definitely the last version is V4.10 for China 24x7/25x7. The HWID 1722 is common to many other Asian 25x7 models (e.g. Taiwan) but if your units have China City Navigator with shifted coordinates loaded as the OEM maps, then they are from Mainland China.
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    Look near the top of that page, "nüvi 2567 中文版机器软件 4.10版" translates to "nüvi 2567 Chinese version of the machine software version 4.10"

I have now successfully loaded 3.40 to both devices, bought Icelandic map and changed the EN_US keyboard to something more like the icelandic one.
    If they continue to work like this then I have no worries.
    I agree, don't mess with them further. Old American saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

At the end I would like to thank you very much for your patience and your help.
    My pleasure, although I'm not sure I helped much at all. However we've both learned something from it.

Well

In the GarminDevice.xml file from the Garmin folder of your ORIGINAL backup, what does it read for 'xxx' in <SoftwareVersion>xxx</SoftwareVersion>? (You can open the xml file in a web browser or any text editior) - - - The version is 330

The Version 3.40 firmware, where did you find that? Could you give me a link to it please? I'd like to study it. - - - I actually do not remember but you can get it here ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
    - - - Another thing about updating with Garmin Updater - a co-worker handed me his GPS, (you're so smart now, please update my GSP ), Nuvi C255, software 3, ID 1598 - update to download - installed but no change in software or firmware - but I'm not asking for help with this one

Learned a lot, thank you but as you said - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - so I'm going to hand him his GPS back as is, only with a modified keybord

Thanks.

I think the Garmin Asian software delivery is quite inconsistent. According to both Garmin US and Garmin CN websites the latest for nuviC255 China is V2.80 yet your friend's has V3 loaded, no wonder it didn't update:
    Code:
    Please Login or Register to see the links
    However, other sources indicate that there are later versions for other regional models of nuvi devices HWID 1958, e.g. India is V3.00; Thai and SG/MY is V3.10 and Indonesia and Philippines is V3.20, so go figure.

After what you went thru with your devices, I think you were very wise to just load a usable kb to your friend's C255 and give it back. 'Discretion is the better part of valor' .