Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

Default How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?

Via eBay bought a nuvi 250W which was apparently used by a car rental agency prior to the sale. I got rid of the company logo on the splash screen by simply replacing the splash screen, but am unable to get rid of the reference to its previous use during start-up (see screenshot below):

UJiTTMa

I tried Tools -> Settings -> System -> Restore, but that did not help.
    I tried to flash older FW and then the current FW with WebUpdater, but that did not work either.
    Probably the reference is embedded in a particular rgn, but that is where my knowledge ends.
    Some guidance would be appreciated. I do have another nuvi 250W if that is of any help.

2.    Advertissements

Search for 'Reset' ... I think that for that model is keeping a finger in the lower right corner while powering the unit, and then keep pressing it until prompted for reset.

Quote Originally Posted by raioxis View Post
    keeping a finger in the lower right corner while powering the unit, and then keep pressing it until prompted for reset.
    I cleared nonvol this way but the reference to AvisBudget is still there. Same when using the (hidden) reset button at the bottom of the unit.

Navigation software expert How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?
    How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?

Most likely, the maps (.img) or POIs (.gpi) by Cenacarta and AvisBudget remain in your device so far.

Important User How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?
    How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?

Quote Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
    I cleared nonvol this way ..........
    Actually that is only a 'hard reset'. Clear nonvol is available in the hidden menu behind speedo in later devices, but in Series 2 it only gives nonvol information. In any case that's not the problem, it's exactly as said in Post no. 4 above. You may find that the dealer reference comes from a small OEM map seeing that screenshot you posted is shown after 'loading maps' is displayed on start up. If no dealer POI is present, look for a quite small map likely named gmapoem.img or maybe gmapprom1.img, open in GMapTool to see details before removal.
    Last edited by Butters; 5th August 2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: fix typos.

The car rental .GPI file I had already removed from the Garmin\Poi folder, which removed the rental agency related POI's. It also returned the "Home" option in "Where to?" which had been absent prior.

The only *.img files in the Garmin folder of the device are gmapbmap.img (WW Autoroute Basemap NR v2.01), gmapprom.img (CN Southern Africa NT 2017.30) and gmaptz.img (Time Zone Map, v19). No SD card inserted in the slot at the side.

Continuing on the same thought as Cnfhbr and Butters, I replaced the Southern Africa map by an OEM map. Guess what... the rental agency reference is gone! Apparently the reference was embedded in the Southern Africa map.

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Navigation software expert How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?
    How to revert nuvi 250W to factory default?

Incidentally, the original map CN Southern Africa NT 2017.30 contains those copyrights too, so your anxiety was superfluous.

Spoiler: Screenshot...
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Yes, I found that out too by placing an original locked CN SAF 2017.30 NT map file in one of my other nuvi's in combination with an appropriate .unl file. I saw the same copyright remarks. When I returned to the forum to share this information, I see you came to the same conclusion. Amazing how the device had the car rental POI's and that totally by chance of all maps exactly this very one has an AvisBudget copyright remark, putting me on a ghost hunt!